Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
I have had a bypass filter on my diesel car since almost new, now is 25 yrs old and 500,000+ miles. Used to drive it for work & it's still my daily driver. Ever only 3 engine repairs (2 timing chains which is routine maintenance and a rear main seal). Mine takes toilet paper not paper towel. I always changed my oil at almost the normal interval. I am a believer.

Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
There are several bypass lube oil filtration systems available from highly reputable manufacturers and some of them are standard or optional equipment on engines direct from the manufacturer.

Here are the spinners and the quad (double duplex) lube filters. Secondary duplex fuel filters below at lower left corner of photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPINNERS.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	21654  

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Brooks or Rick,
What does the by pass filter take out of the oil that the regular quality automotive filter does not?

What is it that you believe Brooksie? That your by pass filter enabled you to drive your car 500K miles? I'd like to know that it did. Then I could use one too and enjoy the benefits.

But Rick points out that Cummins is involved in by pass lubrication and that's a big endorsement I think. Your "believing" in them is also an endorsement but not so big ... sorry. I was kinda expecting Rick to say the by pass filter filters out much finer stuff or other stuff the regular filters don't address.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Brooks or Rick,
What does the by pass filter take out of the oil that the regular quality automotive filter does not?

What is it that you believe Brooksie? That your by pass filter enabled you to drive your car 500K miles? I'd like to know that it did. Then I could use one too and enjoy the benefits.

But Rick points out that Cummins is involved in by pass lubrication and that's a big endorsement I think. Your "believing" in them is also an endorsement but not so big ... sorry. I was kinda expecting Rick to say the by pass filter filters out much finer stuff or other stuff the regular filters don't address.
A bypass filter removes particles many times smaller than a full flow filter can, down to one micron. Full flow filters would not pass the necessary volume of oil to lubricate the engine if asked to do that; therefore they are 7-15 microns. So yes the bypass process does filter out particles 7-15 times smaller than a full flow filter.

Yes, I do believe that the bypass filter was an important factor in extending the life of my car's engine.

There are those that say that particles smaller than 7 microns do no damage to an engine because the oil film is thicker than that. I disagree, that's liking saying you can't remove material with fine sandpaper.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

Search the literature, Eric. The spinners are bypass units, they remove soot and other light solids much more effectively than standard filters. Paper (though they might be other materials) remove moisture and some large solid contaminants. Together they do a very good job of removing much of the contaminants.

It is not unusual to find a half inch or more of tightly packed carbon in a spinner in the same cleaning interval as a filter change. That is crud that the filter didn't catch.

I think a bypass filter with a paper element is just another filter. It doesn't offer much more than just another filter in the system other than more plumbing, places to leak, and expense to replace paper towels or TP rolls.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #26
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The problem with gimmicks and snake oil is that the people who by into them are trapped with their decision so they support it with a vengeance sometimes...

For every car that has run 500,000 miles with an XYZ...there are dozens that did it without...or without the "magic potion" that some people claim.

Sure there are great systems out there that can probably extend the lives of our vessel systems...but I really doubt they use paper towels or toilet paper to do it.

For those of us who only need our engines to last 20,000 miles or so...stock systems with the best filters we can afford will generally let the engine last well past where we kill it from some other maintenance/operational oversight.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Search the literature, Eric. The spinners are bypass units, they remove soot and other light solids much more effectively than standard filters. Paper (though they might be other materials) remove moisture and some large solid contaminants. Together they do a very good job of removing much of the contaminants.

It is not unusual to find a half inch or more of tightly packed carbon in a spinner in the same cleaning interval as a filter change. That is crud that the filter didn't catch.

I think a bypass filter with a paper element is just another filter. It doesn't offer much more than just another filter in the system other than more plumbing, places to leak, and expense to replace paper towels or TP rolls.
I had a "spinner" centrifuge filter on an old Honda MC I had. It spun out a layer of what looked like cardboard from the oil which was not filtered in any other way. Great device for sure simple to service too, just pry out the "cardboard", wipe out the housing, close it up. It was power driven off the crankshaft.

I can't help but think oil passing end to end through a roll of single ply TP is a much more effective filter than a pleated paper element. I know, when I change it, it is very heavy, much more than an equal size roll soaked in clean oil. Soot, dirt, water, I dont know; but nothing I want in my engine. I said I was a believer; just answering the initial question, not asking anyone else to believe.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Thanks all. It appears my assumptions were basically correct.

Re what psneeld said is it worth the effort to buy and install the by pass?

Psneeld it looks like you've turned my old anchor into an oil filter. Must have gone down a slippery slope to arrive at that. (XYZ)

Never heard of a "spinner" but I think I get the drift of what it is. A powered oil filter ... what next?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #29

City: Bording
My car is eqipped with a 2L Ford Diesel, have done 504.000km Only part ever changed on the engine and drivetrain is aa 8$ union for the powersteering pump, it has none other filtration than the stock very small oilfilter and has NOT been kept with service as perscribed by ford. Supposed to change the oil every 15.000 last time it got to 28.000 before i got around to it...

I used to work on a farm where we had a John deere tractor, kept with service until sold at 13.000 engine hours, never had a single repair. Didnt have any kind of extra or bypass oil filter either...
Torben DH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #30
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post

Never heard of a "spinner" but I think I get the drift of what it is. A powered oil filter ... what next?
This discussion has only scratched the surface of the techniques and hardware available and in common use to clean lube oil.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #31
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Where would one obtain such a device? (spinner bypass filter rig) I am now interested in a bit of research into one.