Old 12-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I agree before you do anything drastic make sure you know the condition of the whole tank. When we bought the Eagle the middle tank leaked, so one rainy winter day I cut a 18 X 18 hole in the tank with my hand dandy saw saw. The hole was big enough for me to craw in the tank. A side seam split. However the tank as a whole was in great shape. Hired a welder, who climbed into the tank and welded it up. We used a wet vac as a smog hog, It was a little never racking as the tank as about 2 inches from a bulk head so we welded only a at a time. Cost 150 bucks!

If the tanks need to be replace, I plan on opening the existing tanks, use them as a frame work for multiple smaller tanks fitted in side. However, I might be lucky enough that they can be repaired/welded.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #22
Guru

City: Trenton
Let me start off by saying that Angelina has replacement tanks. They are two custom built exact aluminum replicas of the original leaking sheet metal tanks. At the time, the engine and transmission came out, the entire engine room was "bilge coated", new shaft, log and packing were installed. My engine room is a work of art. About 8 large in 1994.

Would I do this again?

No. Never.

I would remove the leaking tanks and replace with several large plastic storage tanks and a day tank.

If the existing tanks were not leaking (and didn't appear likely) I would coat them inside and out with some of these magic coatings recommended here. And if in a few years they started leaking? See the previous paragraph.

You do need to immediately address all deck leaks and keep the engine room and tanks dry.

alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #23
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
When we bought Island Queen she leaked badly. I think I counted 14 leaks the first serious rain after purchase. After much time and effort we are leak free (for now). I think what I am going to do is take one tank loose and move it out into the engine room where I can better get to everything and see how bad the top really is. If it does not look like the magic coating will effect a long lasting repair (5-10 years) then I will see if I can cut the top of the tank out leaving a two inch perimiter, throughly clean and coat the inside, and install a new top. If that doesn't look fisible them I will back up and punt.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
Let me start off by saying that Angelina has replacement tanks. They are two custom built exact aluminum replicas of the original leaking sheet metal tanks. At the time, the engine and transmission came out, the entire engine room was "bilge coated", new shaft, log and packing were installed. My engine room is a work of art. About 8 large in 1994.

Would I do this again?

No. Never.

I would remove the leaking tanks and replace with several large plastic storage tanks and a day tank.

If the existing tanks were not leaking (and didn't appear likely) I would coat them inside and out with some of these magic coatings recommended here. And if in a few years they started leaking? See the previous paragraph.

You do need to immediately address all deck leaks and keep the engine room and tanks dry.
Bingo...that's what my plans are as well as dozens of others I have seen post.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote