Broken raw water fitting and...engine won't stop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. My problem today was finding the 5/8" nipple in bronze. I don't see it in the catalogs you linked to either. That was the missing piece.

Last edited:
And there you go. One listed for either 1/2" or 5/8" ID hose. Not sure how that works, dual sizes, but I bet it does. Oh well, wife and kids on boat late tomorrow afternoon and Sunday is well worth $60 worth of brass. I think they call it Just-In-Time Management.

Now, do I replace both tomorrow or trust the copper one on the port engine for two more trips? I do not. Too easy to change out and Mr. Murphy and his law are extremely good friends of mine....

I will add one more comment for newbs of the future in case they find themselves reading this....I think I figured out why this piece broke. I used a hose removal tool, one of those with the pointed bent end, to get the hoses off. I think in my wiggling around with that under the hose I wrenched the 5/8" piece and broke the solder joint. Almost willing to bet that is what I did. Live(hopefully) and learn.

You just finished it early.
Witness A.D., Brian, reaction. Bet he has seen a bunch of those broken.
Thin wall copper fitting leaves little surface area for solder to hold to so the solder is thin and weak.

Wes, my boat, and millions of others, are keel cooled. My coolers are cooled by coolant. Cummins has no problem with that. If you read the label on your transmission it will give the operating temperature parameters, low and high, 180 degrees is well within that happy spectrum.

This, with a dry stack, should enable zero salt in the boat. Long term reliability approaching that of a tractor. :)
The other item is you are using coolant post keel cooler. Since the inlet temp. is around 180, you might be looking at 140 or so out into the xmission h/e.
Of course, HUNDREDS of millions of cars cool their xmissions this way.

This, with a dry stack, should enable zero salt in the boat. Long term reliability approaching that of a tractor. :)
The other item is you are using coolant post keel cooler. Since the inlet temp. is around 180, you might be looking at 140 or so out into the xmission h/e.
Of course, HUNDREDS of millions of cars cool their xmissions this way.

I've never seen a car with a keel or keel cooler.

You just finished it early.
Witness A.D., Brian, reaction. Bet he has seen a bunch of those broken.
Thin wall copper fitting leaves little surface area for solder to hold to so the solder is thin and weak.

Got the boat back together today, everything fine. After I finished installing the new fitting on the side that broke I had a second one to replace the other side thinking...how far can it be behind? Went to take shaft log hose off and the fitting sort of crumbled in my hand. Kind of reminded me of dried out Play-Doh. Worse shape than the first one. That was a bit unnerving as it took practically nothing to break it. So before I left I took a tour of all of the engine room fittings to see if there were any other surprises. Didn't see any, all looked substantial, so hopefully this was the one bad egg.

Keeping the comments about a siphon loop in mind, I tried to measure where the water line is in relation to the exhaust elbow. Not sure where to measure to though. The bottom of the elbow? Top? Came to about 10"-12" to the bottom of the elbow.

Wes, walk outside, pop the hood on your car and if you have an automatic transmission, look at the bottom of your radiator. Voilà, transmission oil cooled by coolant. I can't tell by your postings if you are trying to be obtuse or are just doing some good-natured ****-disturbing but if its the latter, its working.

Amphicar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphicar#/media/File:Amphicar-main-ffm001.jpg

not so much a keel cooler, maybe a rocker panel cooler.

Dave, how do you know that there isn't a keel cooler in the rocker panel?

Diver Dave, I remember seeing one of those back in the sixties. It was at Seminole Docks in Dinner Key Marina Miami. It drove down the boat ramp into the water and just kept going. After that I would see it driving around town once in a while.

They had one on Pawn Stars a while back, looked..like a novelty and they didn't buy it as the guy wanted all the money and the whole thing was probably fake anyway. Don't think I'd try going out Jupiter Inlet with it. Although, fishing wise you would be right down on the weed lines...

My truck doesn't have a keel. Neither does my car.

I have owned dozens of vehicles in my time. None have had keels.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom