Old 09-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #1

City: newport ca.
Vessel Name: sea bird
Vessel Model: 1979 chb 49ft.
broken moter mounts

Hey my moter got wrapped and rope broke the mounts.moved a half inch.two in the front are broke and two in the back are bent.can I just jack the moter up in the front and replace the mounts and west systems it back? Then do the rear.I figured I can set some heavy duty eye lags in front of the engine and use a chain hoist to bumb it back the half inch.also disconnect the shaft first.then when its fixed and bolted down reattach the shaft.thanks Ron
ronald stanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
If you hit something hard enough to knock the engines off its mounts, strut bearings, cutlass bearings, shaft log and maybe even bent prop. Drive plate? Transmission? Bent shaft? Good luck!
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
If I understand what you are saying correctly, yes, jack up the engine and replace the motor mounts. What's the West System part of it? Is there damage to the glassed stringers or is the damage to the iron that the engine mounts are bolted to?? Also don't forget that the shaft and engine has to be realigned after the new mounts are installed. For that much damage you should also check the shaft, shaft log, cutless bearing and strut. Dang!! Takes a lot of force to do all that!!
Old 09-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Disconnect the shaft first though before lifting and maybe the exhaust. If not you may create more problems by bending and breaking something.
As pointed out there may be other trouble such as with the gear drive plate, the shaft, propellor and strut. Maybe even the gear itself. Keep a really close watch on things and actively check those items out. If you don't check these things out and just cross your fingers and go there could be consequential damage.

Insurance? They should/may help with costs. Get them involved. At the very least talk to them. If you just go ahead and start and then find something that looks a lot more serious and you only then call them they may tell you forget it.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
If you just go ahead and start and then find something that looks a lot more serious and you only then call them they may tell you forget it.
Good advice. Call your agent before you touch anything. They will send a surveyor and document the damage.

If you start messing with stuff you will seriously jeopardize your claim.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote