Old 12-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #21
Guru

City: Doha
Are these engines identical a/o similar to the Indian Ashok Leyland engines? We have access to these engines over here and they also have a great reputation, but I'm wondering if parts or support would be available in the western hemisphere?

makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
thread drift ............. my dad was a Leyland Master Mechanic at age 14 (building diesels in Glasgow)...... by 18 he was designing ships propellers for Harland & Wolff in Belfast and Bulls Metal in Glasgow. By his early 30s he was designing turbine blades for Orenda in Toronto ..... very proud of my Dad.
As you should be. Self reliant, self taught, and intelligent. Quite an accomplished life.

Having owned two 1950s vintage Jaguars I can attest that there is no problem with Lucas electrics. That is as long as you avoid driving under power lines. Now, Girling brakes are the real joke.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #23
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Having owned two 1950s vintage Jaguars I can attest that there is no problem with Lucas electrics. That is as long as you avoid driving under power lines. Now, Girling brakes are the real joke.

Ah, you misunderstand the philosophy behind the Lucas/Girling set up.

In the event of the electrical system giving up the ghost(in my Healy this was achieved by turning on the left hand indicator) the Girling brakes were designed to keep the car moving for as long as possible, thus lessening the distance you needed to walk to get help.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #24
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I still have a can of NOS Lucas smoke. Had to buy it by the case. Just a little would replace all the smoke that got released
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
[/B]

Ah, you misunderstand the philosophy behind the Lucas/Girling set up.

In the event of the electrical system giving up the ghost(in my Healy this was achieved by turning on the left hand indicator) the Girling brakes were designed to keep the car moving for as long as possible, thus lessening the distance you needed to walk to get help.
Girling made braking interesting because you never knew which wheel would lock up.

By the way, I like under steer because you always went off the road frontwards. Only cowards like over steer.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #26
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
My MGB had two 6 volt batteries mounted under the rear "seat." One fine day the rusted out brackets let go dropping the batteries on to the road. At that very instant, the Lucas electrics worked just as expected.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #27
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
With reference to post #24... Lucas Replacement Smoke Kit
Old 12-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: thisted
Vessel Name: Elviva
Vessel Model: trawl/tug Ejvind 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandZoila View Post
I was going to look a 40' trawler with 2 150Hp Leyland engines, would this be a choice as bad as than buying an Volvo! I tried to find info on the forum and the net, not much luck.
Leyland are often mistaked by BMC engines.

The real 11.6 litre Leyland were procuced by DAF diesel Holland, when British Leyland stopped, I did sell for DAF here in Denmark the 11.6 L. DAF diesel, (from origin a Leyland, an engine as also ran i buses.)
Unfortunately DAF marine stopped in the late 1980s. but we still have old DAF diesel running happy still. Truck Co. still exist.
Have a look on wipikedia.com -to see BMC & Leylands story.
The Leyland DAF were excelent engine.
But not better than Volvo Penta.
Please do not listen to ALL what is said about Volvo Penta. -or other European engines for that matter!
If that were all true, how would anyone explain the many commercial happy V.P. owners.

One find Volvo Penta in: tug-boats, (real tugs.!) fishing vessels, and pilot boats, all along with another fine engine, the Scania diesel.
gadenors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #29
Guru

City: Doha
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadenors View Post
Leyland are often mistaked by BMC engines. The real 11.6 litre Leyland were procuced by DAF diesel Holland, when British Leyland stopped, I did sell for DAF here in Denmark.
Gadenors, do you know anything about the Indian version, the Ashok Leyland?
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #30
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadenors View Post
But not better than Volvo Penta.
Please do not listen to ALL what is said about Volvo Penta. -or other European engines for that matter!
If that were all true, how would anyone explain the many commercial happy V.P. owners.
The complaint isn't about the V.P. engine, it is about the availability and cost of parts. In particular, it is upsetting to see Volvo ceasing to support older engines.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #31

City: South Puget Sound, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
The complaint isn't about the V.P. engine, it is about the availability and cost of parts. In particular, it is upsetting to see Volvo ceasing to support older engines.
Volvo doesn't even support newer engines! The local Volvo car dealership closed up shop with no notice to its customers. While this might not be too bad for most auto makes, its a lot worse if you happen to be the victim of being a Volvo owner. No one else can work on them. While I realize this thread is about marine engines not car engines our local example demonstrates Volvo's lack of support for their products. It was 6 months after the local dealer closed up that we received a letter from Volvo USA introducing us to our new dealership, an hours drive away in ugly traffic. No more Volvo engines for me. Oh, and I can attest to the outrageous price of parts if you can even find them.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #32
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
There was only one Brittish sports car that was big enough to GRACEFULLY support a Yankee eight cylinder engine except the Ford V8/60.

Old Jaguar XK 140,120 and 150 roadsters were better cars for their Yankee V8s. A nailhead 401 Buick was actually considerably lighter than the Jag engine. The whole Jag roadster was lighter even w the Buick Dynaflow automatic transmission. Just point the long nose of those Jag fenders, keep both hands on the wheel, steer it and go. Actually most of the Buick conversions were in a Jag sedans.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Nashville TN
Vessel Name: Miss Rita
Vessel Model: 1978 Gulfstar 44MC
Back onto the thread

Donsan's point, Volvo costs and availability, not durability, that's my question of the British Leyland Trawler engine mid 80s. Is it going to be the Volvo story? Low HP version. I haven't talked about my TR4 yet. Steve
SteveandZoila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #34
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Donsan's point, Volvo costs and availability, not durability, that's my question of the British Leyland Trawler engine mid 80s. Is it going to be the Volvo story? Low HP version. I haven't talked about my TR4 yet. Steve

Have you called American Diesel yet?

May as well tell us about the TR4 while we wait for AD to open, about 8-9am EST.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #35
Veteran Member

City: thisted
Vessel Name: Elviva
Vessel Model: trawl/tug Ejvind 25
Leyland/BMC

Quote:
Steve.

Volvo Penta spares, have a look on cromemarine.se

or: marinespares.com
+: orbitrade.com
I think orbitrade Sells tru ASSAP for quick delivery, see internet.

Good luck Steve. ps. Price could be in British Pound sterling!

gadenors is offline   Reply With Quote