Bow Thrusters (Cheaters)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow!!* What a variety of responses!* Didn't realize that this was such an emotional topic, seems like I touched a nerve or something.*I get the idea that some folks question bow thruster users basic seamanship i.e.**you should be able to dock a boat without a thruster under any condition (or you should at least practice ).
However, through all the haze of battle, there is still lots of good info here.*
Lets all step back and take a deep breath.
The info that I was really after was:
Are the advantages of having*a bow thruster outweighed by the cost of purchase/installation?* That is of course, if*the boat I buy can accommodate a unit.
I think I get the idea.** Thanks for all the input. You guys are great.
Now shake hands and go to your corners.** KJ

KJ wrote:

Wow!!* What a variety of responses!* Didn't realize that this was such an emotional topic, seems like I touched a nerve or something.*I get the idea that some folks question bow thruster users basic seamanship i.e.**you should be able to dock a boat without a thruster under any condition (or you should at least practice ).
However, through all the haze of battle, there is still lots of good info here.*
Lets all step back and take a deep breath.
Are the advantages of having*a bow thruster outweighed by the cost of purchase/installation?* That is of course, if*the boat I buy can accommodate a unit.
I think I get the idea.** Thanks for all the input. You guys are great.
Now shake hands and go to your corners.** KJ
Why didn't you say that's what you wanted. For the little bit of use I get out of my thruster, I don't think I would purchase one for my next boat. As said, almost any boat can accomodate and benefit from one, but it's hard to quantify. Every situation where I have used mine could have been dealt with using other methods, but it was certainly easier with the thruster. You be the judge.

Hmmm!* Thanks for that info*** I think.

I wish the guy in the slip next to me had a "thruster". I nearly have a heart attack everytime he leaves and enters his slip. (I should offer to buy him one.)

Delfin, I guess I was really referring to the "little" Gh's...
smile.gif
. I even know an owner that wanted to install one on his boat and the yard said there just wasn't enough hull underwater at the "pinch point"(my words...but basically to get to a point where it was deep enough he would have a tunnel going thru the middle of the v-berth).

Walt, maybe you could convince your insurance company to buy your neighbor one!!!...
smile.gif

I don't see what the big deal is. I haven't read anything emotional or heated debate into this at all. I pointed out that in some people's heads (and I implied that nobody here was this way, however, there was a tinge of tone towards it) using a thruster is some sign that you don't know how to handle your own boat and that people that stood on the dock and laughed at heavy thruster users were jerks. The rest was just people telling their thruster stories. I can't for a minute understand what got into any of y'alls head that there is some kind of mutual disrespect about this topic... I mean, sheesh. That's why I left the OTDE forum.

"Live and Let Live"...someone important said. I really don't understand, and never have, why some people insist their opinion is better than someone else's.

*It sure seems like a can of worms to me. The "tone" that you said you detected*kinda sounds like emotion.* What's wrong with being passionate about something you believe in?

KJ

The question on thrusters is more relevant when you limit it to say 45 feet or bigger. I couldn't even spell thruster when my vessels were less than 40 feet.

so below 45 is the issue installation or necessity?

"The question on thrusters is more relevant when you limit it to say 45 feet or bigger. I couldn't even spell thruster when my vessels were less than 40 feet."

I would work the other way, bigger boats are deeper in the water and less prone to blow in the breeze.

As long as its not a 3 or 4 story high bloat boat the bigger the less use for thrusters.

A high 32 footer could be hard to get into tight marinas a 65 footer would be no higher but way deeper.

KJ, people put thrusters on boats as small as 28-30' so as long as there is enough room to install, they can be put on any boat. Some people love thrusters, some don't. It's kind of like debating twin or single engine, gas versus diesel, etc. The final answer all boils down to who owns the boat, what they are comfortable with, can handle, and remain safe in all conditions possible. The important thing is to just get out on the water and enjoy life out there. Thrusters are fun and handy tools to have. It's always best to be able to operate a vessel without them but they are a tool that can and should be used if they are available. Am I spending $8k to put one on my trawler? Not right now. Will I in the future? Who knows. :) If I do it will be because I want it and it will be the right decision for us and our boat. It's not a bad thing to have at all and certainly helps with resale value. The fact is most boaters can't even dock a twin screw boat, even with a thruster. Most of the time they are there for confidence booster but they are certainly helpful to have.

if you find a boat with a thruster you will not be disappointed you have one. I have never, ever heard someone say, "Boy I sure regret putting that bow thruster on my boat!"

As someone else said. when I need to drive a nail I get a hammer, not a rock. *I lived on an amish farm for a bit in my younger years. *Trust me- when I built our house 8 years ago I used air gun nailers and power saws. *:)

-- Edited by Woodsong on Monday 13th of December 2010 11:42:37 AM

-- Edited by Woodsong on Monday 13th of December 2010 11:53:19 AM

FF

I'll*have to think about this one for a while.* Very interesting.

-- Edited by KJ on Monday 13th of December 2010 11:43:11 AM

Woodsong

Very well said.** I think we can let this one rest for now. I got lots of useful info from lots of knowledgeable folks.** *Thanks,**** KJ

ps* How do you like this "Imperial Trawler"*?* Trying to figure out if she needs bow thrusters.

-- Edited by KJ on Monday 13th of December 2010 12:21:44 PM

To me it is all about the cost.
I know how to drive my boat. Hull speed or slow.
If I had the money I would more than likely get one.
*Easy is as easy dose.
SD

KJ wrote:

It sure seems like a can of worms to me. The "tone" that you said you detected*kinda sounds like emotion.* What's wrong with being passionate about something you believe in?

I was being passionate. The problem was that DaddyO thought I was calling him a jerk. I don't want to be misrepresented because he has been quite helpful to me. If I was going to call someone a jerk, I wouldn't tip-toe around it. I'd grab the nearest hammer or rock and drive the point home.
biggrin.gif

GonzoF1 wrote:

I wouldn't tip-toe around it. I'd grab the nearest hammer or rock and drive the point home.
biggrin.gif

hahaha!

Baker wrote:If you do not have enough hull below the water, you cannot install a thruster.**
That's what these are for ...

Attachments

• bthrust.jpg
    bthrust.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 88
Definitely a slick solution. My statement was more torwards "conventional" bow thrusters. I would assume that sort of installation to be more complex and at the very least, it does add complexity to the operation. * Anyway, very cool indeed!!!

-- Edited by Baker on Monday 13th of December 2010 03:06:19 PM

Larry M wrote:Interesting!* How about some details?
There are several manufacturers. This is one whose products I see on sailboats more often than others. They work very well and are as trouble-free as any other unit.

http://www.max-power.com/

The sailboat in the picture has*identical bow and stern retractable thrusters.

If that's not the slickest idea yet. *Of course, moving parts are moving parts.

KJ wrote:

Are the advantages of having*a bow thruster outweighed by the cost of purchase/installation?
The answer to your question depends on the size of your boating budget, primarily.* If you have the money to do it, I would say do it.* It's not something you'll regret doing as a bow thruster will come in very handy more times than not and will most likely save you the cost of an expensive repair at least once in your boating career (it did for us when we chartered a single engine GB with a bow thruster).

In terms of whether or not you really NEED it, that will depend on where you boat, the conditions you encounter, and how you want to boat.* Not every boater is interested in mastering maneuvering.* They just want to be able to put the boat where they need it to be without much thought, and for that thrusters (bow, stern, or both) are just the ticket.

If you've never run a boat with a bow thruster, one thing you might want to do is rent (or go out on a friend's) boat that has a thruster and try it out for a couple of hours.* That's the best way to determine if a thruster will be worth the cost to you in your own boat.

I'm sure you'll like using it. I've not yet met anyone with a boat that has a thruster who DIDN'T like it, just some who felt it wasn't all that necessary or used it only when it was absolutely necessary (like Carey).

But if you try a boat with a thruster and decide that it would make a significant difference to your ability to maneuver in the environment you boat in, or you simply like the enhanced maneuverability it gives you, or the peace of mind (which is important) then the cost will be worth it if it fits into your boating budget.* If you think, "well, it's neat and I like it but I think I can do everything I need to do without it," then save the money or put it toward something that will make a more significant difference to your boating.

Short answer is--- it's a question you'll need to answer for yourself because your boating requirements and experience are different from everyone else's.

Pretty sound advice KJ

KJ wrote:

Are the advantages of having*a bow thruster outweighed by the cost of purchase/installation?
For me, the cost of purchase/installation was too much when added to*the cost of maintenance, the cost of unexpected*failure, and the cost of moving the weight of the equipment through the water for years and years.

While I may or may not be the typical boater, it seems like 80% of the time a thruster is not needed, 18% of the time, it would be nice to use it for a*little kick, and 2% of the time that's what fenders are for.

Marin, excellent response.

Marin wrote:I'm sure you'll like using it. I've not yet met anyone with a boat that has a thruster who DIDN'T like it, just some who felt it wasn't all that necessary or used it only when it was absolutely necessary (like Carey).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom