Old 12-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #21

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
RE: Bow Thrusters (Cheaters)

The bolt holding the steering ram to the rudder arm (in the lazarette) dropped out and we had no rudder control. My mate kept the bow into the wind at idle power while I re- bolted the rudder control. Emergency tiller not required this time. So I think of it as a standby rudder as well as making boating a lot more fun.

xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Delfin wrote:

Bottom line for single screw boats, big rudder, thrusters not required, but they sure are nice.

George Buehler (the Diesel Duck guy)*said this about his Coot design: "Her long full keel protects the prop and rudder. Her rudder is oversized and easily removed."

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #23
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Bow Thrusters (Cheaters)

KJ: *I'm not so proud as to admit that a thruster has saved my bacon a few times when I needed that extra response in a sudden gust. *When cruising the connected lakes, canals, and rivers of East Germany (a precious, pristine cruising area of about 375 miles or so), sometimes a gust would hit you when emerging from a lock. *The thrusters helped a lot in any of those narrow-canal, windy situations. *With a full keel, the thruster may not have as much effect, but the design of a full keel also helps keep the boat straight, so you typically need less thruster. *Keel-less shallow drafts like the European canal trawlers were easy to move sideways, but consequently were blown about by any wind. *If you're interested in a trawler, study the design first and get feedback about the handling from the experienced yachtsmen here. *A five to eleven horsepower thruster is no substitute for a skilled boat handler, and it won't prevent a disastrous slip entry in a big wind. *For me, it's just a safety feature that is a last resort when I screw up, or a soft touch when backing up down the fairway. *It's a nice feature, but I wouldn't let it determine my single engine trawler selection. My two cents.

-- Edited by healhustler on Sunday 12th of December 2010 02:39:56 PM
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
Delfin wrote:

KJ, I don't think there is any hull form that can't take advantage of thrusters, but there certainly are some that nearly require them for marina maneuvering.
I do not believe this to be true. *There are boats that cannot use thrusters. *It is boats that don't have enough draft up near the bow. *If the tunnel is too close to the surface of the water, it starts to suck air(cavitate/ventilate). *If you do not have enough hull below the water, you cannot install a thruster. *I will ask you this rhetorical question....have you ever seen a Great Harbour with a single engine???? *I am willing to bet you have not. *Why??? *Because it is one of the hulls that fits my description and the manufacturer knows it and installs twin engines instead. *A single engined GH with no bow thruster would be a disaster...

Anyway, just FYI...

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
Mike wrote:

Gonzo - I'm looking forward to meeting you in person. On my next visit to Carolina Beach (Spring 2011) I'll be asking Tim for directions to your slip. I'll bring the beer.

Same here... We won't be hard to find. I can assure you of that. Follow the sound of a hydraulic stern thruster.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Gonzo if your talking about me then go back and read my post again. I'm talking about thruster abuse not use. I think the tone of some of this is a bit over the top and should end now before we become like some of those other forums. I'm sending you a PM.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #27
Guru

Bow Thrusters (Cheaters)

Not at all... Just the general contention that it seems like using a thruster at all is the sign that you are somehow not in control of your boat. I'm not calling anyone out. I just don't want anyone to think that it's ok to snicker or look down on the use of thrusters. "you" was directed at any reader of the forum. Sorry if it was misread...

Tom-

PS... Gong to delete your PM before I read it. I don't want it to taint anything.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Sunday 12th of December 2010 09:42:57 PM
Old 12-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #28
Grand Vizier

Well you got me there, Baker.* I guess we'd have to add canoes to the list, although for a Great Harbor with a bow thruster, please see:* http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2184424&ybw=&units=F eet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=75886&ur l=
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #29
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Bow Thrusters (Cheaters)

This debate is almost as heated as my Navigation Lights thread!

I've never had a boat with a thruster but then again, I've always had twin screw boats. Now that we have our single screw Monk I'd love to have a thruster. Like the hammer and nail reference previously, it's a tool that's available. I don't need it for day to day use and have never had a problem docking or manuvering my boat or getting it to go where I want in the few months we've owned her but really...it would be nice to have. I picture going into a transient slip in a new marina, high winds, maybe a fun current, big expensive boats poking out into the fairway, throw in some rocks and shallow water and maybe even a big crowd watching for some icing on the cake...I'd be wanting a thruster to help. Luckily i am ok with docking out boat bow first. If I had to dock stern to I am fairly certain I'd need a thruster to effectively and repeatedly accomplish it. Who knows...maybe by the end of this summer I'll feel different. For now we're holding off and not getting one but it's on my list of possible upgrades, assuming we have any money left after our other upgrades!

I actually found a very inexpensive bow "thruster" online just this week. Think I should order one for our trawler? I need to see if they have a shaft extension kit though!!
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati..._SEQ_104233680

-- Edited by Woodsong on Sunday 12th of December 2010 10:13:49 PM
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #30
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:

Not at all... Just the general contention that it seems like using a thruster at all is the sign that you are somehow not in control of your boat. I'm not calling anyone out. I just don't want anyone to think that it's ok to snicker or look down on the use of thrusters. "you" was directed at any reader of the forum. Sorry if it was misread...

Tom-

PS... Gong to delete your PM before I read it. I don't want it to taint anything.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Sunday 12th of December 2010 09:42:57 PM
As for me, I hope that none of you misunderstood my position on BOW thrusters. I think they are a wonderful thing, and you would be hard pressed to pry my thruster controls from my dying hands (or something like that). I would like however to re-state my belief that too many newbies, with too many dollars to spend, run out and buy a small yacht, and get no instruction as to how to use what they bought. Bow thrusters are not, IMHO (in my humble opinion) intended for anything but finessing the final movements of the boat toward it's destination. Particularly in the thirty five to forty foot range, I have seen way too many boats relying primarily on the thruster, and making (how did Marin say that) the Cuisinart crunching ice/rocks, or whatever it was sound. Very well said I might add. That's how mine sounds. I hate it. Can we just drive the boat into the slip until there is nothing else in the toolbox but the Cuisinart, and then just give it one last burst??? That's all I ask for!!! I know, I am totally anal about some (a lot) of things, and this is one of them. Sorry!Again, I love my thruster, and even yours, if it's used as it was meant to be. Let's learn how to utilize the primary features of our boats before we abuse the secondary ones.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #31
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

Wow!!* What a variety of responses!* Didn't realize that this was such an emotional topic, seems like I touched a nerve or something.*I get the idea that some folks question bow thruster users basic seamanship i.e.**you should be able to dock a boat without a thruster under any condition (or you should at least practice ).
However, through all the haze of battle, there is still lots of good info here.*
Lets all step back and take a deep breath.
The info that I was really after was:
Are the advantages of having*a bow thruster outweighed by the cost of purchase/installation?* That is of course, if*the boat I buy can accommodate a unit.
I think I get the idea.** Thanks for all the input. You guys are great.
Now shake hands and go to your corners.** KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #32
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
KJ wrote:

Wow!!* What a variety of responses!* Didn't realize that this was such an emotional topic, seems like I touched a nerve or something.*I get the idea that some folks question bow thruster users basic seamanship i.e.**you should be able to dock a boat without a thruster under any condition (or you should at least practice ).
However, through all the haze of battle, there is still lots of good info here.*
Lets all step back and take a deep breath.
The info that I was really after was:
Are the advantages of having*a bow thruster outweighed by the cost of purchase/installation?* That is of course, if*the boat I buy can accommodate a unit.
I think I get the idea.** Thanks for all the input. You guys are great.
Now shake hands and go to your corners.** KJ
Why didn't you say that's what you wanted. For the little bit of use I get out of my thruster, I don't think I would purchase one for my next boat. As said, almost any boat can accomodate and benefit from one, but it's hard to quantify. Every situation where I have used mine could have been dealt with using other methods, but it was certainly easier with the thruster. You be the judge.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #33
KJ
El Capitan

Hmmm!* Thanks for that info*** I think.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #34
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

I wish the guy in the slip next to me had a "thruster". I nearly have a heart attack everytime he leaves and enters his slip. (I should offer to buy him one.)
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:11 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Delfin, I guess I was really referring to the "little" Gh's.... I even know an owner that wanted to install one on his boat and the yard said there just wasn't enough hull underwater at the "pinch point"(my words...but basically to get to a point where it was deep enough he would have a tunnel going thru the middle of the v-berth).

Walt, maybe you could convince your insurance company to buy your neighbor one!!!...
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #36
Guru

I don't see what the big deal is. I haven't read anything emotional or heated debate into this at all. I pointed out that in some people's heads (and I implied that nobody here was this way, however, there was a tinge of tone towards it) using a thruster is some sign that you don't know how to handle your own boat and that people that stood on the dock and laughed at heavy thruster users were jerks. The rest was just people telling their thruster stories. I can't for a minute understand what got into any of y'alls head that there is some kind of mutual disrespect about this topic... I mean, sheesh. That's why I left the OTDE forum.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #37
Doc
Guru

"Live and Let Live"...someone important said. I really don't understand, and never have, why some people insist their opinion is better than someone else's.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #38
KJ
El Capitan

*It sure seems like a can of worms to me. The "tone" that you said you detected*kinda sounds like emotion.* What's wrong with being passionate about something you believe in?
Old 12-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #39
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

KJ

The question on thrusters is more relevant when you limit it to say 45 feet or bigger. I couldn't even spell thruster when my vessels were less than 40 feet.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #40
KJ
El Capitan

so below 45 is the issue installation or necessity?