Old 11-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #1

City: lanexa
bow thrusters

looking to install a bow thruster on 38' marine trader, single screw. any advice on size/hp and make or other suggestions. thanks!

joker73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #2

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I have a 7 hp Sidepower on my 2003 Mainship 390. It has 3 bladed props. They now make them with 4 blade that are supposed to be stronger and quieter. Boat weighs about 27000 loaded and 7 hp works quite well
John

johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Ask around and find the best fiberglass fabricator in your area.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Most of the bow thruster companies have sizing charts on their websites. Find the brand you want, look at the size they recommend, then buy one size larger. I've never heard anyone say "I wish my thruster was a bit smaller."
Old 11-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
I think the Sidepower is the best on the market. Consider going with a 24volt unit with two batteries and a series parallel switch. More power, less current draw, longer run time.

You can buy a series/parallel switch from any of the marine outfits for $1k plus or buy one from a farm equipment outfit for around $200.00
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I installed a sidepower on my boat. If nothing else go to the sidepower or imtra website and read up on installation. I read all of the manufacturers installation instructions and sidepowers were by far the best. They explained the why as much as the how. Good learning.

PS: I found it helpful to read it with a Norwegian accent.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnma View Post
I have a 7 hp Sidepower on my 2003 Mainship 390. It has 3 bladed props. They now make them with 4 blade that are supposed to be stronger and quieter.
IMO that would be a great choice for the 38 MT.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Yes, 7 HP should be a good size for the OP. I went for Lewmar's largest 12V unit, 8 HP. But were I doing it again I would do as Boatpoker suggests and go for a 24 V unit, a couple of sizes up. The Lewmar is giving good service, but in strong winds or currents it isnt large enough for my boat. Sidepower would be my first choice too.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Not sure if you have looked into it, but hydraulic gives you unlimited run time. I have a hydraulic stern thruster and like it.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I've got a 5HP Lewmar on my 25,000 lb. Manatee and it is marginal at best. Another friend's Manatee has a later model 7 HP Sidepower and it kicks "A". Let me add that I have about a 20 ft. run of cable to the house batteries that power the unit, and that hasn't helped. Part of the plan is to install a good starter battery under the berth within a couple of feet of the thruster to give it some instant kick.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I've got a 5HP Lewmar on my 25,000 lb. Manatee and it is marginal at best. Another friend's Manatee has a later model 7 HP Sidepower and it kicks "A".

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #12

City: Palmetto Bay
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Model: Island Pilot DSe 12m Hybrid
If budget allows:

1. Buy bigger.
2. Use higher voltage.
3. Variable speed/continuous use.

Most builders install thrusters that work fine with up to 15 knots wind or so and for about 60 seconds or so. Bigger and longer running are better - especially when you need it most!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
FF
Guru

ONLY have a yard that has installed a couple of dozen do the work.

Too many problem areas to treat a yard to a Learning Experience.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
Guru

Why not do it yourself. If time out of water is an issue, install the tube and lower leg, launch her and finish up in water, I did it in a weekend. It's not a difficult job if you plan it out carefully before starting. This will save you $$$$$$
Old 11-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Why not do it yourself. If time out of water is an issue, install the tube and lower leg, launch her and finish up in water, I did it in a weekend. It's not a difficult job if you plan it out carefully before starting. This will save you $$$$$$
Hey Poke.....I don't suppose they sent you the hole saw in the installation kit did they? With a cored hull, I'm scared of making an alignment error on my own, otherwise I'd have swapped mine out for a fresh 7 hp long ago.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Hey Poke.....I don't suppose they sent you the hole saw in the installation kit did they? With a cored hull, I'm scared of making an alignment error on my own, otherwise I'd have swapped mine out for a fresh 7 hp long ago.
No holesaw required. The instruction for tube installation actually came with the thruster.

First thing is to locate the center point of the hole on either side of the bow. You can do this with a jig or intersecting arcs drawn in pencil.

Then drill a 1/4" hole at that center point.

Buy a steel rod (I used stainless) bent into a "J" with the short end sharpened to a point. The bend should scibe a circle the same diameter as the tube.

Insert the long end through both 1/4" holes and rotate to scribe the shape with the sharp end. Then I cut it out with a jig saw.

If you look at the photo with the tube next to the boat you will see that I had already put the tube in place and marked it with magic marker for the final trim to shape.

The yard had quoted me 15k for the thruster and installation. I managed to get a 24v boat show display thruster (complete with acrylic display unit) for $2,200 and a series/parallel switch from a tractor for $150, $20 for a relay from an auto parts store and If I remember the tube was about $300 and the J-rod from a local machine shop for $30
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isle of Skye thruster 1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	24708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Isle of Skye thruster 2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	24709  
Old 11-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #17
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
No holesaw required. The instruction for tube installation actually came with the thruster. First thing is to locate the center point of the hole on either side of the bow. You can do this with a jig or intersecting arcs drawn in pencil. Then drill a 1/4" hole at that center point. Buy a steel rod (I used stainless) bent into a "J" with the short end sharpened to a point. The bend should scibe a circle the same diameter as the tube. Insert the long end through both 1/4" holes and rotate to scribe the shape with the sharp end. Then I cut it out with a jig saw. If you look at the photo with the tube next to the boat you will see that I had already put the tube in place and marked it with magic marker for the final trim to shape. The yard had quoted me 15k for the thruster and installation. I managed to get a 24v boat show display thruster (complete with acrylic display unit) for $2,200 and a series/parallel switch from a tractor for $150, $20 for a relay from an auto parts store and If I remember the tube was about $300 and the J-rod from a local machine shop for $30
Wow. You have way more skills/cojones than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #18
Guru

No .... I'm a Scot. I just could'nt bring myself to fork over 15K. I thoroughly planned my approach, assembled everything I needed and ran through the job in my mind a hundred times. When I was ready to start .... well to be honest and sat and looked at it for a couple of weeks before I could drum up the courage to drill the first hole. I was scared shi..less. Once I got started it was much easier than I thought. I am totally convinced the average handyman could do this job with a little forethought.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #19
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
No .... I'm a Scot. I just could'nt bring myself to fork over 15K.
On that. I did exactly the same thing with my own boat. Working up the courage to start is way harder than actually doing it.

Besides, if the absolute worst happened and you really screwed up the job you will know when it happens and then you can hire an expert to fix the mess you made.

It only consumes a bit of pride and money in that case.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Get to know someone who has worked with polyester or epoxy a lot and have them take a look, offer suggestions. In the last 13 years working in the boating trades and increasing complexity of composite work...it's pretty easy..but there are a few "gotcha's".

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote