Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #41

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
I disagree. They might be a "nice to have", but "neceessity"? No way.
Scott Welch
Island Eagle
It's OK to disagree. IMO, the OP, who stated he will be single handling a single engine trawler, should look to a thruster for an added measure of safety. For me, it's a necessity when single handling a boat with 1 engine. But again, it's OK to disagree here.

As far as your transmission goes, I'm glad to hear your transmission is built like a tank.

Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #42
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Not a necessity but, in my opinion sure nice to have.
By the way, I have a friend who won't take novacain when the dentist drills his teeth.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #43
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Huh!!

You're manhood is not larger if you manage to bump into the dock not using a thruster, yep folks been doing it for years (news flash they are the ones that invented the thruster).

I have sailed into a slip in the past without power when my aux. failed, not my first choice mind you but yep anything can be done when there is no better way.

I bet I could get the anchor up without the windless, swim to shore without the dingy and drink my cocktails without ice.
I have in the past, so I guess I could also go a week without a shower, and read by candlelight or use a plumb line to check the depth. Why?

The OP's question SHOULD be answered with the truth, a bow thruster makes close maneuvers much easier, safer, more relaxing and more fun. It is my unsolicited opinion that if it is at all possible a thruster, windless, ice-maker, lots of hot water are must haves. At the risk of my shrinking manhood that I will keep my electronics as well.

Boating is fun and relaxing for me, but I toast you rugged tough guys (with ice in my drink) and you're great manhood, I will keep using my thruster equipped single as Neptune intended.

I think for most couples in retirement running a 30+ foot single a thruster is a necessity.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Not quite a necessity, as we manage fine without, but if you have one, that's also good, as they come in handy occasionally, and if you don't have one, you are a bit more selective in what you do. For example, I don't bother trying to back into my berth. Actually it works better for us that way anyway.

I see this issue as more like the comparison with the new gadgets we now have in our cars. If you never had a car with power windows, central locking, auto adjusting seats, anti-lock brakes, stability control, and climate control aircon...you manage...right..? But once you have had a car with those, you find yourself wondering how you managed without, because they are neat, and make life easier. My wife has the new car with all those things, and I love it, but mine only has central locking and power windows, and none the rest, and I certainly would not even think of trying to add those other things, I'm happy to do without. So it is with thrusters in my view.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #45
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Huh!!

You're manhood is not larger if you manage to bump into the dock not using a thruster, yep folks been doing it for years (news flash they are the ones that invented the thruster).

I have sailed into a slip in the past without power when my aux. failed, not my first choice mind you but yep anything can be done when there is no better way.

I bet I could get the anchor up without the windless, swim to shore without the dingy and drink my cocktails without ice.
I have in the past, so I guess I could also go a week without a shower, and read by candlelight or use a plumb line to check the depth. Why?

The OP's question SHOULD be answered with the truth, a bow thruster makes close maneuvers much easier, safer, more relaxing and more fun. It is my unsolicited opinion that if it is at all possible a thruster, windless, ice-maker, lots of hot water are must haves. At the risk of my shrinking manhood that I will keep my electronics as well.

Boating is fun and relaxing for me, but I toast you rugged tough guys (with ice in my drink) and you're great manhood, I will keep using my thruster equipped single as Neptune intended.

I think for most couples in retirement running a 30+ foot single a thruster is a necessity.
People gave their reasons for and against...I'm sure the OP will figure it out...

Start calling things on a boat a necessity...well that's a slippery slope...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #46
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

People gave their reasons for and against...I'm sure the OP will figure it out...

Lol agreed tho it sure has been entertaining watching this thread. Two words come to mind .... Chill ... Pill .... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Old 07-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #47
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

True enough, next thing we will start saying is that recreational boats are a necessity.

You know, giving some thought to the definition of "necessity" to a skier ski lifts are not a necessity either, you could just climb the mountain.

But I did say most retired folks (65+) operating as a couple will find them oh so nice.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #48
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:

The OP's question SHOULD be answered with the truth, a bow thruster makes close maneuvers much easier, safer, more relaxing and more fun.
Well said, Scott! I think that's the kind of answer the single handling OP wanted to hear.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
Can someone comment on bow thrusters or stern thrusters as to the necessity of them. Are they an item that someone with little experience should consider getting when they purchase a boat.
Thought I would bring the original post back up so "the retired folk" having trouble remembering what the OP asked would be refreshed.....

Windlasses, dinks and ice can't be replaced as well as boat handling skills can replace a bow thruster...
Old 07-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #50

City: Langkawi
Yes, this is the type of reply I am looking for. I know that there are necessities and nice to have items. I bet almost all of you have a GPS on board but if you have a map you really shouldn't need one. Rather than bounce my yacht off the dock or your boat, I think I will try to procure a thruster. If I don't use it a year from now, great. It will be another feature when the yacht sells.
coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #51
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
Yes, this is the type of reply I am looking for....Rather than bounce my yacht off the dock or your boat, I think I will try to procure a thruster. If I don't use it a year from now, great. It will be another feature when the yacht sells.
& the very best of luck to you!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #52

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
As far as your transmission goes, I'm glad to hear your transmission is built like a tank.
In fact, funnily enough, Allison's big business now is tank transmissions, but that was an outgrowth of the MH marine transmission that is in Island Eagle!

Scott
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #53

Quote:
The OP's question SHOULD be answered with the truth, a bow thruster makes close maneuvers much easier, safer, more relaxing and more fun.
Actually, I did answer with the truth. That statement is not true for me.

Quote:
We're a couple, and we run a 60 footer, and we've never missed it.

Just another data point to consider.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #54
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
The issue as I see it regarding the thruster no thruster is the practice thing.
How often do you really get the opportunity to practice?

If you have to dock 20 times in a season that is a lot.
Doing something 20 times a year is not enough to become proficient.

Chasing a buoy or life jacket around in calm water is nothing like maneuvering into a slip.

I live in Alaska yet I use my boat all year long Fishing all summer and crabbing all winter. I have become good at using my single screw. My tyranny is a 506 Twin Disc. Arguably one of the most bullet proof tyranny's around.

Many times I have been given the thumbs up or the way to go skipper.

But it takes lots of practice.

If you can. Get a thruster and use it. You are never going to get enough practice.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

SD
Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
The issue as I see it regarding the thruster no thruster is the practice thing.
How often do you really get the opportunity to practice?

If you have to dock 20 times in a season that is a lot.
Doing something 20 times a year is not enough to become proficient.

Chasing a buoy or life jacket around in calm water is nothing like maneuvering into a slip.

I live in Alaska yet I use my boat all year long Fishing all summer and crabbing all winter. I have become good at using my single screw. My tyranny is a 506 Twin Disc. Arguably one of the most bullet proof tyranny's around.

Many times I have been given the thumbs up or the way to go skipper.

But it takes lots of practice.

If you can. Get a thruster and use it. You are never going to get enough practice.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

SD
Very good point SD. There are people that take their boat out a lot and quickly become proficient at close quarters maneuvering, then there are those that take their boats out ten times a year (if lucky enough to find the time) that take a very long time to become comfortable at handling their boat in close quarters. Obviously the first group would be wasting money with thrusters whereas the second group could benefit from them.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #56
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Very good point SD. There are people that take their boat out a lot and quickly become proficient at close quarters maneuvering, then there are those that take their boats out ten times a year (if lucky enough to find the time) that take a very long time to become comfortable at handling their boat in close quarters. Obviously the first group would be wasting money with thrusters whereas the second group could benefit from them.
Again, just a data point to consider: I use my boat once a year, in the summer. Typically about 4 weeks at a time.

Like I said before, there is no reason at all that you can't learn to put your boat close enough to the dock so that you can step ashore.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #58

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Boy, the anti-thruster crowd is aggressive.....why?
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #59

City: Miami
My wife learned to dock and undock a boat with thrusters in winds and currents in two days. She never got comfortable enough to do the same with a twin engine sport fish in 5 years. Oddly enough she did manage to dock a few sailing boats under sail. Go figure. Get the boat, learn your limits, try to operate within your comfort zone as often as possible and have fun.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
Boy, the anti-thruster crowd is aggressive.....why?
First of all there's no such thing as the anti-thruster crown. In a normal conversation I doubt you would hear and one say "hey...let's take your thruster out this weekend as it's a useless POS anyhow"

It only usually only seems like there's an anti side if someone discusses a thruster as a necessity...and as we all know....that like many things on a boat...some things are a necessity for some and not for others. If a response is worded that way then I doubt many of these threads would be maybe 10 posts long instead of 10 pages long. But people feel the need to impose THEIR needs on others.

If the anti crowd seems aggressive...what about posts such as this...would you say that it may be slighty aggressive?....

Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS