Old 11-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
gar
Veteran Member

City: cape charles
Vessel Model: Heritage East 36
Best Diesel Fuel Water remover

Hi All, I have a trawler with Iron fuel tanks. Tanks were cleaned 2 years ago manually & are in good shape. I have the boat in winter storage in Virgina & I always keep the tanks full to keep condensation out. I was thinking of adding a additive to remove any trace of water. What would be a good product for this & what product would be best for iron tanks? Thanks for you input. Gary
gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I don't think you want to use an additive as it would just emulsify the water and would then damage your injectors. The best way is to use a filter, like a Racor, that will trap and let the water settle out.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Meridian is absolutely right.

All water removal additives for diesel are nothing more than the same ingredient as Dawn dish detergent. They emulsify the water into the oil (sort of the reverse of what happens when you wash your hands). But if you have significant water emulsified in your diesel, you might blow an injector tip when that water violently expands to steam.

So don't emulsify the water, let it settle out in a Racor water separator filter.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Gary, agree with others that an emusifying agent is not a good idea. Also they don't tend to work unless tank is agitated, which is not easy on the hill.

If you have tank cleanout panels or can lance tank from the top all the way to the bottom, do that. Suck whatever is on the bottom corner of the tank.

Eric.

BTW, how is the boat doing otherwise??
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
gar
Veteran Member

City: cape charles
Vessel Model: Heritage East 36
Thank you all for the replies. Eric, the boat is doing fine, spending the winter at Atlantic Yacht Basin, Chesapeake VA.
gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
For 15+ years, I been using 911 diesel additive red bottle,, you can buy at most automotive stores. To absorbs water/moisture back into they fuel. Never had any fuel problems or injector. I have polished the fuel each year with no water in the Racor filters.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Norfolk
Vessel Model: 48' duck
Why do people not use a desiccant air filter on the fuel tanks, oil vent, and transmission vents?

Most of the dryers you can empty out the silica or calcium sulfate into a pan and bake before reusing every few months.

I know you still have to worry about buying fuel with water in it, but I do not think that happens all that often from quality fuel sources.
choppywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:52 AM   #8
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
For 15+ years, I been using 911 diesel additive red bottle,, you can buy at most automotive stores. To absorbs water/moisture back into they fuel. Never had any fuel problems or injector. I have polished the fuel each year with no water in the Racor filters.
Phil,
I think you have a great source of CLEAN diesel fuel, and that has more to do with your trouble free 15 yrs than the fact that you use this additive.
There is no substitute for proper filtration, and the new emissions standards have really upped the ante in fuel cleanliness.
However, those of us who still run old school injection can benefit from the new technology in filtration, there is no excuse any more for feeding your beast dirty fuel.
Seaboard Marine offers nice kits and accessories to upgrade any system.
Their website offers some informative articles on the subject, well worth the read.
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:26 AM   #9
FF
Guru

There are both emulsifiers and De emulsifiers that work differently.

A de emulsifier will knock the water out of suspension and drop it to the bottom of the tank.

A fuel tank with a sump, or even just a low point drain can use this.

The emulsifier mixes the water with the fuel , making it far harder to separate with any filter.

Be sure any pump sucks the fuel thru the fuel filter , not push it thru.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Gar

You and most of us are good candidates for additives. Why? As kapnd said, we currently have no fuel issues and by using additives can emphatically state "I've been using additive XXX and all is good." This is called reverse logic. I fall prey to it all the time.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
Phil,
I think you have a great source of CLEAN diesel fuel, and that has more to do with your trouble free 15 yrs than the fact that you use this additive.
There is no substitute for proper filtration, and the new emissions standards have really upped the ante in fuel cleanliness.
However, those of us who still run old school injection can benefit from the new technology in filtration, there is no excuse any more for feeding your beast dirty fuel.
Seaboard Marine offers nice kits and accessories to upgrade any system.
Their website offers some informative articles on the subject, well worth the read.
You might be right about having clean fuel source but fuel will deteriorate over time. Its the sepatating over time that is my main concern, as the filters will clean the fuel.

The Eagles tanks are 37 years old, there for I am more concerned about the tanks having water/moisture causing rust than clean fuel. There for using an additive with the main purpose is to absorb water back into the fuel. Not water/moisture no rust or algea. Tank intakes will not draw water dirt off the bottom unless the fuel is agitated.mixed. However I do polish the fuel thru out the year especially in stormy weather and try to turn the fuel every couple of years.

In colder climates the same kind of additives are used in the fuel right out of the pumps to prevent moisture/water from freezing and injector damage. So I figure a little more will not hurt.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:34 AM   #12
Guru

If I had fuel tanks that were going on 40 years old and questionable, I'd be straight away building me some new tanks this winter.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:43 AM   #13
Guru

City: kemah
This may help.

Diesel Tank Snake Water Absorber | B3C Fuel Solutions
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #14
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
The very best water prevention additive is complete access to the inside of the tank. Then you can actually clean them. No more worries.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #15
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
The very best water prevention additive is complete access to the inside of the tank. Then you can actually clean them. No more worries.
That's the answer right there. A proper "sump" with a drain will cure 90% of tank fouling issues. What is frustrating is that most boat mfrs, even some of the higher end ones, fail to make any sort of provision for this.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
That's the answer right there. A proper "sump" with a drain will cure 90% of tank fouling issues. What is frustrating is that most boat mfrs, even some of the higher end ones, fail to make any sort of provision for this.
I am not a yacht builder, and don't know ABYC rules and such, but I have been told that bottom drain fittings are a no-no, presumably due to danger of leaks?
Old 11-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #17
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. k. "...presumably due to danger of leaks?" I strongly suspect that is the reason. By the way, ABYC listings are only suggestions which yacht manufacturers have agreed to abide by, NOT rules. Unfortunately, insurance companies consider them rules and act accordingly wrt. surveyors comments. Don't get me started on our last insurance survey where the surveyor started quoting ABYC "rules". Just been informed by my off site expert the no bottom drain issue only applies to gasoline tanks
Old 11-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #18
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
"And thirdly, the Code is more what you’d call “guidelines” than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner."
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #19
Guru

So build in a sump with a pipe plug directly above. Make it accessible and one can use a hand pump (or outboard squeezball) once a season to suck out any water.
Solves the problem without a bottom fitting.

OR simply mount the tank at a slight angle so the water goes to a corner in lieu of a sump.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
"And thirdly, the Code is more what you’d call “guidelines” than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner."
Tell that to your insurance carrier and if you have a loss good luck. We had an insurance audit, spent 6 hours going thru the boat. 19 items not meetinh ABYC code, had 60 days to bring up to code, and 3 grand later. BUT it was worth it as I sleep better.

Old saying, s happy tank is a used tank. Mild steel is better than aluminum or SS for fuel tank. A maintained and a used mild steel will last a long time. I am hoping for another 40 years.