Bow Thruster Controls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowandsteady

Vessel Make
Mainship 34 III
Has anyone installed a second bow thruster control at a second helm? My joystick control is on the bridge and I would like to install a second at the lower helm. It's a Sidepower Thruster.

Didn't install it, but our boat came with two station Sidepower joystick controls for both the bow and stern thrusters. So it can be done. Suggest you talk to IMTRA. They are very helpful on all things Sidepower.

Attachments

• Imtra joystick.jpg
    Imtra joystick.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
The people at the factory installed a second control on my boat. I suspect the company you buy the control from can furnish a diagram of how to install it.

Usually a simple "Y" connection and second conroller. Should be easy..

Have you considered installing a wireless remote control? I have a fixed control on the flybridge where I do close quarters maneuvering, and the wireless control I keep at the lower helm. The wireless unit is especially handy when single handing...I'll step off the boat, tie off the stern or mid-ship and use the remote to bring in the bow. Works great and less expensive than installing a fixed control. Btw, the wireless unit has buttons to control the windless too!

I have thruster controls at both helms but almost never use them. I have a wireless remote that is on a lanyard. I slip it over my head before we get to the dock or slip. I don't often need to use it, but it's certainly handier than having to take my eyes off the dock/slip as I'm maneuvering the boat.

I have thruster controls at both helms but almost never use them. I have a wireless remote that is on a lanyard. I slip it over my head before we get to the dock or slip. I don't often need to use it, but it's certainly handier than having to take my eyes off the dock/slip as I'm maneuvering the boat.

thats what I want when I grow up

I have sidepower bow thruster controls at each of my 6 stations. Of note, activating at one station will not activate at any other stations, so the controls are not simply wired in parallel.

I have sidepower bow thruster controls at each of my 6 stations. Of note, activating at one station will not activate at any other stations, so the controls are not simply wired in parallel.
I wouldn't expect the controls at a second or third station to do anything when one switch or lever is activated.

The only problem I can see with wiring the controls in parallel would be if someone at one station activated the left control while the other activated the right control or vice versa. That possibility could be eliminated using relays.

I wouldn't expect the controls at a second or third station to do anything when one switch or lever is activated.

The only problem I can see with wiring the controls in parallel would be if someone at one station activated the left control while the other activated the right control or vice versa. That possibility could be eliminated using relays.
The thruster controls do control a set of relays mounted at the thruster. I have not seen mine up close but I bet there is a mechanical interlock to prevent both coils from being energized at the same time which would be a dead short.

Over the course of the summer I became less and less dependent on the bow thruster. But as the weather got cooler I found myself using the lower helm much more often, but I still go to the bridge to pull into my slip. I just didn't have the comfort level at the lower helm without the bow thruster at my finger tips. The wireless control sounds like a neat thing to have. Cheaper? The wired control is only a $240.00 item plus connector and wire and I'm a DIY guy.

Over the course of the summer I became less and less dependent on the bow thruster. But as the weather got cooler I found myself using the lower helm much more often, but I still go to the bridge to pull into my slip. I just didn't have the comfort level at the lower helm without the bow thruster at my finger tips. The wireless control sounds like a neat thing to have. Cheaper? The wired control is only a $240.00 item plus connector and wire and I'm a DIY guy.

Assuming that you will be at a helm station when using the bow thruster doesn't it make sense to just have permanently mounted bow thruster controls at each helm station? You can't misplace them and you won't go to use them and find you need a fresh battery.

Wireless is great for some things but I don't think a bow thruster control is one of them.

My boat has bow and stern Sidepower thrusters with a remote. When I back into my home slip, which has piers on both sides, my wife is in the stern with the remote and positions the boat while I handle the engine. I do get the boat pretty well lined up before I give control to her. This really works good with no skill required. I know - BAD....

Concerning the remote, GFC says he has his remote on a lanyard. My remote doesn't have anyway to do that. It has to be held in your hand and I'm always afraid someone will drop it in the water. I'm always on the lookout for some kind of eye that I can glue to the remote case so I can attach a lanyard to it. Haven't found one yet.

My boat has bow and stern Sidepower thrusters with a remote. When I back into my home slip, which has piers on both sides, my wife is in the stern with the remote and positions the boat while I handle the engine. I do get the boat pretty well lined up before I give control to her. This really works good with no skill required. I know - BAD....

Holy crap..
why didn't I think of that!
Then I can blame the Admiral when the boat smacks the dock!

It is a bit odd though.. the boat gets run by committee.. sounds like something the govt. would of come up with!

windmist.. all kidding aside.. whatever works for you is a good thing.

I am afraid The Admiral would look at the remote.. then me.. then the remote and throw it back at me while saying " no way bucko.. but nice try"

HOLLYWOOD

:lol:

Concerning the remote, GFC says he has his remote on a lanyard. My remote doesn't have anyway to do that. It has to be held in your hand and I'm always afraid someone will drop it in the water. I'm always on the lookout for some kind of eye that I can glue to the remote case so I can attach a lanyard to it. Haven't found one yet.

When I back into my slip I stand just to the port side of the shifters and operate them with my left hand. That allows me to maintain my vision on the area I'm most concerned with--the aft end of the boat and the finger docks on either slide of the slip.

Having the remote hanging from my neck makes it easy because I don't have to turn around, change my focus to the bow thruster control on the helm and try to make corrections as I'm backing.

I can just stand there, operating the shifters with my left hand and hold the thruster in my right hand if I think I'm going to need it. If there's no wind I don't use it at all.

Back
Top Bottom