Old 12-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #41
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Bow Thruster

Quote:
Carey wrote:

hollywood8118 wrote: I for one like watching a competent skipper use all the tools at hand to squeeze a boat safety into it's berth..
HOLLYWOOD
I understand your point, and I know you'll understand my perspective of preferring to watch a competent skipper slide in skillfully with the minimum amount of technology. Just a little too old school I guess.

I must add, that I am terribly jealous of you guys with hydraulic thrusters. My electric model is rated at only 45 seconds of thrust at a time. Personally, my fear of burning it up limits me to a maximum thirty seconds. It would definitely be nice to be able to steer with the thruster.

Carey,
As you can see from my (old ) boat I am also one that likes "old school"..I had a GB36 before Volunteer... but I sort of lean to the "new hot rod with all the bells and whistles" that looks old school. I have recently sold Volunteer and moved into a high quality 30 year newer fast cruiser... no thruster... but it has twins!. I don't know that it was the right move but it is a step in the direction back to sail... after the fuel bills I will need to sail!. Regarding your thruster... you might check the actual limits on run time... the 45 second limit might be at a continuous burst... not cumulative run time. And most have a over temp cutout that will lessen the issue of burning the unit up... just a thought.
HOLLYWOOD

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Thursday 9th of December 2010 10:14:14 PM

hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #42
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Bow Thruster

Quote:
hollywood8118 wrote
Carey,
As you can see from my (old ) boat I am also one that likes "old school"..I had a GB36 before Volunteer... but I sort of lean to the "new hot rod with all the bells and whistles" that looks old school. I have recently sold Volunteer and moved into a high quality 30 year newer fast cruiser... no thruster... but it has twins!. I don't know that it was the right move but it is a step in the direction back to sail... after the fuel bills I will need to sail!. Regarding your thruster... you might check the actual limits on run time... the 45 second limit might be at a continuous burst... not cumulative run time. And most have a over temp cutout that will lessen the issue of burning the unit up... just a thought.
HOLLYWOOD
-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Thursday 9th of December 2010 10:14:14 PMHollywoodI misspoke. It is 45 seconds continuous. I need to pull out the manual and see what else it has to say, such as cumulative in a five minute period. It's been too long since I last saw the manual. For the most part, other than maybe one time with heavy winds off the dock on landing, I haven't needed to exceed the 45 seconds. Thanks for the note. I'll check it out.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #43
Guru

Quote:
hollywood8118 wrote:

Carey,
HOLLYWOOD
-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Thursday 9th of December 2010 10:14:14 PM
HollywoodSo, what is your current boat du jour? Do you need to change your avatar? I'd love to see her. Frankly, I can't believe you let Volunteer go. She's totally my kind of boat, except maybe the overall purchase and maintenance cost. Gorgeous!!!

Old 12-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #44
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Bow Thruster

Quote:
Carey wrote:HollywoodSo, what is your current boat du jour? Do you need to change your avatar? I'd love to see her. Frankly, I can't believe you let Volunteer go. She's totally my kind of boat, except maybe the overall purchase and maintenance cost. Gorgeous!!!
Carey,
I did try to post during the picture posting issue time..........
Here is are a couple pics of the new ride........... the one is the new boat with the old boat waiting to move into the new owners boat house.

So the story goes like this... after spending the summer up the Columbia and Snake rivers I left Volunteer at a yacht club in Portland because of weather and timing issues. While the boat was at the clubs visitor dock one of the club members contacted me about Volunteer and wanted to know if I had any interest in selling her. He had a boat in one of his two boat houses that if I had any interest in he would trade for Volunteer. After discussing this with the Admiral I looked at his perfect condition 1996 sea ray 400 express... always kept in a boathouse... in fresh water.* We did a afternoon " sea trial" of Volunteer and he was sure he wanted her... if was up to me. He offered to buy her out right.. or do the trade. The Admiral and I thought this might be an easy step back in* the direction of taking off cruising on a sailboat in a few years... and get a different yachting experience in the meantime.* The thought of keeping a boat on the Columbia , in fresh water, under cover.. and the promise of Way less boat maintenance sealed the decision. So we took ownership the first week of November and have been getting used to a different kind of yachting. Our girls miss the huge amount of space Volunteer had and as they have grown up on her just miss her in general. I am getting over the fact I will not need to do ANY painting or varnishing and will now need to become proficient at waxing... and adding fuel to a very fuel thirsty 25kt boat.* Friends have asked if we made the right decision.... too soon to tell, but I do like the the new boat... and her speed!. I hope to continue on this forum for a while... I also have my eye on a steel hull trawler that needs a complete refit and new house.** Well I best go... I need to go shopping for some gold chains and hair gel!
HOLLYWOOD
on a side note, Volunteer has a new owner with thew ability to do anything he wants to the boat... and she is snug inside his 35'X85' boathouse where her maintenance will drop to almost nothing.. and her varnish will stay perfect for years... that makes me happy..

the two attached pics, one is the first day of ownership of the new boat ... the second is the last day of ownership of Voulnteer...

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 12:28:52 AM

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 12:31:08 AM

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 12:32:25 AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc05842.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	3719   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	3720  
hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #45
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Twelve years ago I was fishing off Craig AK with a charter vessel . At that time I was landlocked with a 30' Searay DA at Lake Powell. While looking over the water at Craig I noticed a 40'+ Searay DA from Seattle anchored there for several days. The owner was from Seattle and had no problem getting to and from Craig, he could simply outrun the weather.

I mulled this concept over very hard before I bought the new 48 Defever. I still miss the speed -----------. Enjoy the DA.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #46
Guru

Bow Thruster

Quote:
hollywood8118 wrote:

Carey wrote:HollywoodSo, what is your current boat du jour? Do you need to change your avatar? I'd love to see her. Frankly, I can't believe you let Volunteer go. She's totally my kind of boat, except maybe the overall purchase and maintenance cost. Gorgeous!!!
Carey,
I did try to post during the picture posting issue time..........
Here is are a couple pics of the new ride........... the one is the new boat with the old boat waiting to move into the new owners boat house.

So the story goes like this... after spending the summer up the Columbia and Snake rivers I left Volunteer at a yacht club in Portland because of weather and timing issues. While the boat was at the clubs visitor dock one of the club members contacted me about Volunteer and wanted to know if I had any interest in selling her. He had a boat in one of his two boat houses that if I had any interest in he would trade for Volunteer. After discussing this with the Admiral I looked at his perfect condition 1996 sea ray 400 express... always kept in a boathouse... in fresh water.* We did a afternoon " sea trial" of Volunteer and he was sure he wanted her... if was up to me. He offered to buy her out right.. or do the trade. The Admiral and I thought this might be an easy step back in* the direction of taking off cruising on a sailboat in a few years... and get a different yachting experience in the meantime.* The thought of keeping a boat on the Columbia , in fresh water, under cover.. and the promise of Way less boat maintenance sealed the decision. So we took ownership the first week of November and have been getting used to a different kind of yachting. Our girls miss the huge amount of space Volunteer had and as they have grown up on her just miss her in general. I am getting over the fact I will not need to do ANY painting or varnishing and will now need to become proficient at waxing... and adding fuel to a very fuel thirsty 25kt boat.* Friends have asked if we made the right decision.... too soon to tell, but I do like the the new boat... and her speed!. I hope to continue on this forum for a while... I also have my eye on a steel hull trawler that needs a complete refit and new house.** Well I best go... I need to go shopping for some gold chains and hair gel!
HOLLYWOOD
on a side note, Volunteer has a new owner with thew ability to do anything he wants to the boat... and she is snug inside his 35'X85' boathouse where her maintenance will drop to almost nothing.. and her varnish will stay perfect for years... that makes me happy..

the two attached pics, one is the first day of ownership of the new boat ... the second is the last day of ownership of Voulnteer...

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 12:28:52 AM

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 12:31:08 AM

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 12:32:25 AMHollywoodThanks for the post. It's always interesting to hear other folks stories of changes in their boating. As much as love the traditional lines of a boat like Volunteer, I am the last one to be trusted with taking care of a boat requiring paint and varnish. As to the new boat, I know you'll have lots of fun on her. Our first boat was a Bayliner Ciera sunbridge. Those Sea Ray Expresses are awesome. I know your Admiral likes it.

-- Edited by Carey on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 04:18:44 PM