Bosch injectors. Has anyone had recent experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill Ranson

Vessel Name
Cork
Vessel Make
Halvorsen GC32
with Bosch injectors in a Cummins 6BTA 5.9 (good? bad?).
I am looking to replace injectors and can get the Bosch about $50 cheaper per injector. I have heard that some Cummins brand products have been developing cracks after relatively low hours.

Query Tony Athens at Seaboard Marine. He is the go to guy on all things Cummins

I have checked out the Seaboard Marine website. But thanks. I was hoping for some first hand user experience.

What is the problem you are having with the injectors that motivates you to replace them?

Switcvh to Bosch Injectors -- key is to go to 2 micron fuel filters at same time

I have used Bosch Diesel Injectors for years & they make a good usable product.

Always worked good for me. One thing to do at same time ....... I was told this by a former Bosch engineer.

- One Key thing - they are tight clearance injectors inside - so recommend you should change to a 2 micron fuel filter at same time you install the Bosch injectors & that way you don't have issues.

That is what I have done & it has paid off in spades.

Your mileage may vary.

So you have my .02 cents.

Alfa Mike :thumb:

What is the problem you are having with the injectors that motivates you to replace them?

I have high exhaust temps in #6 and some knocking in #5. The engine has 1600 hours and I was told that the injectors should have been serviced at 1400 which wasn't done. The engine was checked at about 1450 and there were no problems.

You might do well to have a professional diagnosis done before throwing money into injectors.
Cummins B motors seldom have injector problems.
Noises in the high numbered cylinders can point up damage from water intrusion thru exhaust.
Seaboard Marine has a forum on their website, could be helpful to you.B
BTW, posting your query in the "power systems" section will likely net lots more input!

Last edited:
I just replaced 6 injectors on a Cummins QSC 8.3 in April.

My understanding from the Cummins technician is that Bosch makes the injectors for Cummins and Cummins adds some to the price.

They are the same injectors. I bought mine from Bosch.

Ken

How did this get in the Site News Forum?

Archie. I have no idea how it ended up here nor do I know how to get it moved. :blush:

Second that above that you should get a second opinion. Injectors are often replaced with no change in symptoms. For very little money you can have them "pop-tested" to check spray pattern. Or put new nozzles in, which effectively makes them new injectors. The only moving parts are in the nozzle.

A good tech can troubleshoot the engine in 30 minutes.

Archie. I have no idea how it ended up here nor do I know how to get it moved. :blush:

You just report the post/thread (the red triangle on the left) and a friendly mod will take care of it. This is now moved. Thanks for the heads up.

Second that above that you should get a second opinion. Injectors are often replaced with no change in symptoms. For very little money you can have them "pop-tested" to check spray pattern. Or put new nozzles in, which effectively makes them new injectors. The only moving parts are in the nozzle.

A good tech can troubleshoot the engine in 30 minutes.

How is a pop test done ?

Go to Youtube and query pop-testing, there are many videos covering it.

"How is a pop test done ?"

You remove injectors , take them to a shop and they will be hooked to a pump with a gauge.

The spray and release are observes as the pressure rises.

Most shops will test for free or $5.00 each if they get the job of overhauling them.

Injectors are not like spark plugs , discarded after use , but can be rebuilt many times.

Weather a new injector of a different brand is "better" would be hard to decide on a 2-5 GPH boat motor.

Last edited:
Injector problems on a 6B are rare, unless they are fed dirty fuel, which no diesel motor likes.
A mechanic that recommends injector replacement without testing is a quack.
I’m still suspicious that you may have water damage through the exhaust/turbo.
How about some pics of your ER, specifically exhaust routing?

I have high exhaust temps in #6 and some knocking in #5. The engine has 1600 hours and I was told that the injectors should have been serviced at 1400 which wasn't done. The engine was checked at about 1450 and there were no problems.

That's not a lot of hours. Check the manual, mine says 2000 hrs for valve lash and servicing injectors. Servicing injectors doesn't mean replacing them.

How's your exhaust mixer look? Any possibility that water found its way into the turbo/exhaust manifold/#6 cylinder? Does the noise change if you crack the injector nut? Recently do filter changes? When was the engine fuel filter changed last? Any changes to the fuel system that could be creating an air ingress problem?

+++ on the 6BT and injectors. Not likely an injector problem. What Ski said, get a good mechanic, he knows!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom