Old 04-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSoterio View Post
yeah engine is almost always idled down, well as far as it can go, it idles around 750rpm when warm.

universal joints? doubt it.. it is pretty standard looking when you compare it with the diesel troubleshooting book.

I've got pictures somewhere of the transmission to stuffing box if you want to look...
Sure on the picts - would help all posters to best understand.

She's not by chance V-Drive... is she??

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #22
Art
Guru

Quote:
uniflite hull, I don't know what that is, as far as I know its a displacement hull. the boat was made in 1962 so its pretty old don't know if uniflite is that old or not. its the vessel shown in my avatar
Uniflite was a famous pleasure boat builder from 50's into late 80's. From outboards to 50 +/- footers; in many models. Uni's were also built for Vietnam delta patrol boats by the thousands. Some larger Uni hulls were purchased unfinished and customized into work boats... especially fishers. I owned a 31' Uni pleasure boat. Very well built crafts. Your boat's hull reminds me of Uniflite in age group you mention. But - I've never heard of a full displacement Uni... planing and semi displacement is all I believe Uni mentioned they built.

You been on the water long?

Best luck with your boat and repairs!

Old 04-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #23
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Any idea who the builder is? Reminds me of a Roberts gillnet boat we used to own. Minus the flybridge house though.
Larry B
Old 04-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

It's a Royal Craft and I've heard people say it reminds them of a Roberts and I have seen some Roberts boats that I could relate it to. I'm 26 years old now, Used to be a commercial fisherman in Alaska and then bought this crabbing vessel for the Puget Sound in the summer of 2011. Took it out in the summer of 2012 for "sea trials" more or less just recreational fishing and trying to get used to the boat and being on the water then we fished commercially in the Puget sound fishery in 2012-13 season. we fished nearly 2-3 times a week or so for 5 months. Put a lot of time and experience into myself in a short amount of time. Got stuck in a few bad weather situations but definitely learned from it. The mouth of Admiralty inlet is not very much fun in a SE 30knot wind with 12 footers smashing over the wheelhouse window. I've got some video of us crabbing somewhere. Pictures are going to have to wait I've gotta head to work.
CaptSoterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #25
Art
Guru

Quote:
It's a Royal Craft and I've heard people say it reminds them of a Roberts and I have seen some Roberts boats that I could relate it to. I'm 26 years old now, Used to be a commercial fisherman in Alaska and then bought this crabbing vessel for the Puget Sound in the summer of 2011. Took it out in the summer of 2012 for "sea trials" more or less just recreational fishing and trying to get used to the boat and being on the water then we fished commercially in the Puget sound fishery in 2012-13 season. we fished nearly 2-3 times a week or so for 5 months. Put a lot of time and experience into myself in a short amount of time. Got stuck in a few bad weather situations but definitely learned from it. The mouth of Admiralty inlet is not very much fun in a SE 30knot wind with 12 footers smashing over the wheelhouse window. I've got some video of us crabbing somewhere. Pictures are going to have to wait I've gotta head to work.
Good goen CaptS! Get It On!

TY for providing Royal Craft brand name. Looking forward to video link or picts when you get time. Of course, ask any questions here as your boating life expands... you'll probably get more answers than you'd like or need... but that ain't all bad!

Cheers!! Art
Old 04-13-2014, 01:36 AM   #26
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
It's a Royal Craft and I've heard people say it reminds them of a Roberts and I have seen some Roberts boats that I could relate it to. I'm 26 years old now, Used to be a commercial fisherman in Alaska and then bought this crabbing vessel for the Puget Sound in the summer of 2011. . . . . . we fished commercially in the Puget sound fishery in 2012-13 season. we fished nearly 2-3 times a week or so for 5 months.
I fished gillnet in both Bristol Bay and Puget Sound for a number of years. . . . back in the 70's . . . . before you were born!! Puget Sound was a total different fishery back then. . . . we fished nights only and Tribal boats and seiners fished days. Had a few nights in the Straits off "R" buoy when it was so rough you couldn't haul the net. Two choices. . . hang on the net and ride it out or cut it loose and let it go!!