Borescope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron T

Vessel Name
Grand Yankee
Vessel Make
1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
I am looking to purchase a borescope to mainly look at cylinder walls and piston top going in thru the injector hole. Needs lite on end. What units do you recommend. The stand alone unit or one you connect to your lap-top or tablet ?? Thank You. Happy New Year.

I use a stand alone unit purchased at Home Depot for about $100- not fancy, but does the job.

I use a stand alone unit purchased at Home Depot for about $100- not fancy, but does the job.

I have the same one but plan on trying out the one on Amazon that plugs into the laptop. If I recall they're less than $40 shipped, tough to go wrong at that price.

I got this for Christmas. Harbor Freight Tools. $200.

Here's why (Admiral asked, I picked)

1. HD screen
  2. Memory for camera. Downloadable.
  3. Video
  4. Card slot for even MORE memory.
  5. Rechargeable.
  6. Nice tough case.
  7. Mirror and magnet attachments.
  8. About 2 feet of flexible camera cable.
  9. Can pick color or B&W
I really like the memory. Sometimes I'm not so smart to know what to do right away or don't have the right tool at the time. With the memory I can look at the picture over and over and ponder a solution.

Attachments

• Inspection Camera.jpg
    Inspection Camera.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 108
Make sure that the diameter of the of scope will go thru the bore your wanting to get thru, injector nozzles are pretty small.

Yes, watch the head size. Some of these heads are approaching 15mm which will not go through an injector hole.
You need to know what the hole size is.
There are units as small as , I think,5-6mm but they usually cost more.

The biggest problem I have using mine is orienting the camera so you can tell what You are looking at.
Easy to get lost in the camera view.

SD

denverdOn, what sort of resolution do you get? Is it good enough to inspect your wheel and rudder?

Because of a prior mention in one of the threads, got the computer connected one for Christmas. Sure will come up for some use for it.

Marty

Because of a prior mention in one of the threads, got the computer connected one for Christmas. Sure will come up for some use for it.

Marty

I tried to use mine the other day to check the props for barnacles. Usually just put on a dive mask and go down, but it is kind of cold for that now, so decided to try it with the camera. Well, it was not successful (or at least not on the first try anyway). The camera works just fine, but trying to hold it down there from the swim platform while looking at the laptop at the same time is just not feasible. So got to figure out a way to point it at a prop, hold it steady, and then go look at the laptop. I'm mulling over that one. Got to be a way!

So got to figure out a way to point it at a prop, hold it steady, and then go look at the laptop. I'm mulling over that one. Got to be a way!

Mount a couple of cameras in through hull underwater light housings.

Cakewalk (Derecktor 86m) has a pair that view the props and feed the video into the engine control room.

This video is kind of lame. I have seen video recorded in the Caribbean on a bright day and it is fantastic.

Frankentek Yacht Security's U-Sea-It Camera - YouTube

The through-hull is a good idea, but I had intended on strapping mine to an aluminum broom handle. I would get the Admiral to do the laptop stuff, or get her to hold the broom-handle (don't say anything, I'm not going there!) while I record.

Mount a couple of cameras in through hull underwater light housings.

That's a cool idea. In the Neuse River, however, you can't see more than a few inches, so while I would love to be able to scope the running gear without getting wet (or watch a reply of it). Until we get to cleaner waters... well... you know :blush:

denverdOn, what sort of resolution do you get? Is it good enough to inspect your wheel and rudder?
The resolution, especially for a $15 camera, is surprisingly good. Plenty good enough for inspecting most anything you would want to inspect with it.

That's a cool idea. In the Neuse River, however, you can't see more than a few inches, so while I would love to be able to scope the running gear without getting wet (or watch a reply of it). Until we get to cleaner waters... well... you know :blush:

You need an ultrasound in that water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom