Old 04-12-2014, 12:47 AM   #41
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Corvifortuna,
Welcome to the forums.
If you are going to be in the delta, you may opt for one of the boatyard in the delta as they are quite a bit cheaper than svendsons.

You should post a picture of your mast. Your 'mast' plan sound very aggressive. I am unsure if you can safely lift anything from a 5 ft mast unless it is properly stayed and built very heavy. How heavy is the dink you are trying to lift up there?
You may consider a pipe davit as others have suggested as they can handle much more weight safely, they will reach to the stern of your boat, and have power winches built into them. They will also fold up nicely out of the way.

Although I have one, I dont find stern thrusters to be very useful. BUT If you want a good stern thruster, try Welcome to Dickson Thruster . They are out of Stockton and they can sell you the kit or install it for you. They are not overly expensive and since they are hydraulic , you can run it all day without overheating.

What marina are you at? We are currently at Bruno's in Isleton.

Scott

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #42
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
For anyone with a "new to you" boat, and especially if you haven't owned trawlers before, my advice is to not rush into any major additions or modifications until you are familiar with the boat and have used it quite a few times. You may find your initial ideas were not the best.
Ain't that the truth, but..! The first time or two we took Lotus out we had some 'interesting' times in the marina, and I swore and declared a bow thruster was top of the to do list. Here we are 12 years later - still no thruster - would hardly ever use it. There are other priorities by far - an autohelm being one...

Old 04-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #43
Guru

I have run single and twin motor boats single handed for many years without the use of thrusters. When bow thrusters came along I indulged and found them quite helpful. My present boat hast twins variable speed bow and stern thrusters all tied into the motors with joy stick or remote control and there are situations where all this is helpful. I think as long as the skipper can handle the boat without the bells and whistles it is good to have them if you can afford the high price. So my attitude is as long as one is familiar with the basics no harm in extending control with gizmos. This is a little like understanding paper charts and basic navigation before becoming completely immersed in electronic chart plotters.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #44
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I have run single and twin motor boats single handed for many years without the use of thrusters. When bow thrusters came along I indulged and found them quite helpful. My present boat hast twins variable speed bow and stern thrusters all tied into the motors with joy stick or remote control and there are situations where all this is helpful. I think as long as the skipper can handle the boat without the bells and whistles it is good to have them if you can afford the high price. So my attitude is as long as one is familiar with the basics no harm in extending control with gizmos. This is a little like understanding paper charts and basic navigation before becoming completely immersed in electronic chart plotters.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote