Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #21
Guru

I have a single engine and a hydraulic stern thruster installed by the previous owner. I had my doubts at first however I like the stern thruster a whole bunch. There are manoevers I can do that a bow thrusted boat can't do so imho it's a wash between bow vs stern. I approach situation differently than a bow thrusted boat because the tool I have is a syern thruster.
My opinion is you really don't need both. Either will do just fine once you learn your boat.

Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #22

City: Green Turtle Cay/Western NC
Why on earth would you want to waste the amount of money required to install a stern thruster. Instead why not pay someone to teach you to drive your own boat!

Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Some people don't have the boat driving skills some do because they just can't do it all the time to stay in practice or never will because of personal limitations...as one ages I can see thrusters becoming more important as I see reflexes dwindling in myself (single with no thrusters) and my older friends who all drive varying amounts.

So yes thrusters can add value to boating...plus there's another reason for some.

While I have always said a thruster is NOT NEEDED...I've never said it was a waste as it allow a capt to do things with a boat that can't be done EXACTLY the same way without one. No debate there as physics rule....no matter how experienced of a captain/driver is if they think you can drive a boat without thusters just like you can with them...then I have to say that they need more practice with thrusters.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #24

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Why on earth would you want to waste the amount of money required to install a stern thruster. Instead why not pay someone to teach you to drive your own boat!

Why? I'll give you an example. My Father is 68 years old and in great health, but my mother has battled diabetes since she was a small child. It's harder for her to get around as much anymore. So, rather than having her run up and down the side of their boat, my father uses his thruster to allow him to single handle, something he will be able to do well into his 70's. Unfortunately, we have a few posters on this site who continually question people that choose to buy a thruster, placing a blanket one size fits all comment about "learning to drive your boat". Sure, in an ideal world, we would all be 40 years old and boat captains.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

I can post a photo of 2 styles after 1 Nov , return to FL.
Thank you sir, I'm in no hurry.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Outboard motor lift. There are many on the market if you will Google Outboard motor lift. Here is the link to the Forespar line of outboard motor cranes:
Boat Nova Lift

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Dinghy cranes: If you want to be able to lift the dinghy and motor, then the outboard crane is not enough. There are a number of dinghy cranes available in a number of weight sizes. One manufacturer is Nick Jackson:Pipe Davits

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #28
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
I've said it before, so it must be worth repeating. All boats come with a stern thruster. It's called a combination of propeller and rudder, which can direct the thrust over quite a range of angles. It's all that's needed to get the stern to the dock. However, short of a bow thruster, once your bow gets away from the dock, it can be difficult in certain situations to get back to the dock, hence, the wonder of the bow thruster. If you already have a bow thruster, and simply have money to burn, and feel you are one item away from a full array of bells and whistles, then by all means add a stern thruster. In my mind, single or twin plays no part in the decision process. IMHO of course.
Yes, it's worth repeating. Over and over, especially to anyone considering a stern thruster.

Now, I know this topic borders on religion, so I want to be careful to point out that nobody is saying you shouldn't add any old thruster you want. Like everything else, you need to decide if it's worth the extra money to YOU. Other people's opinions just that; opinions.

The main engine(s) will move the stern sideways any time you want.

A bow thruster is handy in wind or current because you have less control over the bow. Especially with a single screw. With twins you have more control of both the bow and the stern. Basically, the only other way to move the bow of a single screw boat without a thruster is to move the stern the opposite way. So it takes a little planning and practice to dock a single screw in the wind.

This is a "trawler" forum. Just about every commercial fishing boat around here is a single screw, no thruster. They are similar hull shapes to ours, and they bring their boats up alongside their gear, and into docks and slips, all day long and in all weather. So don't think it can't be done.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #29
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
As I always repeat over and over...cause it's worth repeating...if you think you can make your boat do EXACTLY the same with and without a thruster...then you NEED more practice with the thruster. Simple physics prohibits you from doing EXACTLY the same maneuver.

Now...do you NEED thrusters at all???? No.
Does a bow thruster do things a stern thruster can't??? Yes
Does a stern thruster do things a bow thruster can't???? Yes

if you disagree...that's just dandy with me....

Maybe more practice with all the possible combinations will convince you.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #30

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
As I always repeat over and over...cause it's worth repeating...if you think you can make your boat do EXACTLY the same with and without a thruster...then you NEED more practice with the thruster. Simple physics prohibits you from doing EXACTLY the same maneuver.

Now...do you NEED thrusters at all???? No.
Does a bow thruster do things a stern thruster can't??? Yes
Does a stern thruster do things a bow thruster can't???? Yes

if you disagree...that's just dandy with me....

Maybe more practice with all the possible combinations will convince you.
You are absolutely correct. A Stern thruster gives a single screw additional control very similar to what twins give you and more. I literally can drive my boat with my stern thruster through a marina. I can completely turn my boat on it's axis 360 degrees (try doing that with a rudder). Not to mention it gives me a huge advantage when backing up into a slip. All around, with the currents in Laconner, it makes my experience much more pleasant at a fraction of the cost of a bow thruster.

If you don't have the disposable finances, you certainly don't have to have a thruster, its for pleasure (hey, just like my boat) and in my parents case for 'boating longevity'.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #31
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Hi,

So I am looking at these:
Bow Thrusters & Stern Thrusters

Are they worth it? Any others that are recommended? Yes I can pilot my boat successfully most if the time, but why not add thrusters to have an extra measure of control when needed? Cheers.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:23 AM   #32
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Some things I have been taught and some I have learned about singles:

A single screw boat is run like a fork-lift - put the bow where you want it first and then use the rudder to place the stern where you want it. Remember, you are not steering the bow like a car is steered, you are moving the stern around so the thrust will be able to place the bow somewhere useful. If you put the rudder hard over and then put it in forward, the stern will move sideways and a bit forward, so once the boat moves sideways, put it in reverse. This will stop the forward motion but will still be moving sideways. Practise this maneuver by throwing in a cushion, or similar, and then "Dock" to it. You don't need much thrust, depending on your boat, so be careful that you don't shove the throttle forward, thinking you are putting it in gear!

Practise turning your boat in its own length using rudder hard over and just the gears. Do it in a cross-wind too.

Try backing in a straight line. Many times the best way to leave a mooring is backwards! There is nothing undignified in this maneuver, it is often very prudent because the stern is the part that is agile, the bow is always along for the ride. As you back, the boat will "walk" to one side, depending on your engine rotation. If you need to straighten out, turn the rudder to the opposite side you want to push the stern over, then select forward until the stern moves over to where you want it. You should still be moving backwards, use thrust to move the stern where you want it. Some boats will steer backwards nicely, try moving your rudder to see if yours will. My old GB32 steered backwards quite well, but only once it was moving sufficiently fast. Practise this one somewhere safe, too.

To tie to a dock, the easiest way and the least stressful to your crew, is to use a spring line tied to the middle of the boat, run to the stern. Practise putting the stern against the dock so that your deck hand can step, not jump, onto the dock, then walk in a confident manner to mid ships and take a turn or two on the dock. Even if the rest of the boat is not tight alongside, now you can use the gears in forward, with the tied spring, to put the boat tight alongside; the boat has very limited motion because it is tied. The stern line and the bow line will follow in a leisurely fashion.

Most singles seem easier to dock on a starboard tie, but it is a very good idea to practise a port tie too, so it all looks familiar when the time comes that you must tie on the port side.

Thus endeth the lesson.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #33
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We used one of these on our camano 31 as we didn't have deep enough draft for a conventional tunnel thruster. http://sideshift.com
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Scout
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
We purchased and installed a sideshift stern thruster and have been very pleased with it on our GB32. We have taken lessons and can back and fill so that we don't need a thruster for most maneuvers. But my wife is happier with the thruster so we we boat more, we boat with more confidence, and we enjoy boating more.
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #35
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Skippers of double-propped boats brag they have no need for thrusters.
Many of us would still like to have them though. ($$$)
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #36

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Am new to Trawler Forum, how do I search for your threads on side shift? We are thinking of adding a stern thruster to our new to us Monk 36. Whitehawk37.
Whitehawk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #37
Guru

Booms & Stern-thruster add-ons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehawk37 View Post
Am new to Trawler Forum, how do I search for your threads on side shift? We are thinking of adding a stern thruster to our new to us Monk 36. Whitehawk37.

We had a Side Shift installed on our Camano we love it!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 04-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
We had a Side Shift installed on our Camano we love it!

Here's a pic.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1397237801.243865.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	29007
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 04-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #39
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehawk37 View Post
Use the Search pull-down and try "side shift" (with the quotation marks) -- I get at least 4 other threads returned...

-Chris
Old 04-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #40
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
For anyone with a "new to you" boat, and especially if you haven't owned trawlers before, my advice is to not rush into any major additions or modifications until you are familiar with the boat and have used it quite a few times. You may find your initial ideas were not the best.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote