Block Heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For only $20 each I got new thermostats for my Hotstart coolant heaters that have a lower range 80-100 rather than 100 to 120 degrees. Have not installed them yet but Hotstart tech thinks that will dramatically reduce electricity use while keeping engines evenly warm thruout.

I have the Kat magnetic oil pan heaters on both Hinos and the Westerbeke gen. I haven't turned them on yet as it's still above 40f in the er. I leave them on during winter layup but the air and water temperatures are much warmer this year. I usually start boating as soon as the ice leaves and the heaters help with faster starts and lubrication. Along with the warmer temps we're also getting flooding, it was 4.5' over normal gauge when I came home for the holidays yesterday. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1450634114.099324.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Oil pan heaters can have the hassle of burning the oil where its in contact with the pan.

Next time the pan is down , take a look.

The in the blocks water passages style heater does not have the hassle and can be far bigger on heating ability.

"Oil pan heaters can have the hassle of burning the oil where its in contact with the pan."

We have 250 watt wolverine oil pan heaters and they do not get anywhere near close to a temp that can burn oil. They do need to be installed so that the oil is above the level the pan heater will act on with the engines 'off'.
They keep our inline 6 cylinder 5.9 liter diesels just warm enough to make a difference for both starting and storage but no more than about 80F at the heater even on a warm day.
While we did have the coolant heaters originally as well and know there higher temp capabilities we found the temperature differences across the engine to be higher and the tended to cause coolant weep and hoses when the weather was very cold.
YMMV - just our experiences with inline 6 cyl engines.

Back
Top Bottom