Bleeding Perkins 6.354

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you put the CAV filter o ring into the top body first or inside the top of the filter can? The second way is wrong and you won't get flow.
There's a post on CAV filters made on December 24, 2016 that shows the wrong way.
Hmm , This was a new one from Napa and it didn't come with new ring . I want to say I checked and the old o ring was still stuck in the top of the filter can in its groove , but now I can't remeber . I'll check that as well . Thanks

Did you put the CAV filter o ring into the top body first or inside the top of the filter can? The second way is wrong and you won't get flow.
There's a post on CAV filters made on December 24, 2016 that shows the wrong way.
I meant to say it was stuck in top of the engine filter body in the groove not the replacement filter can . I saw your post on CAV filters . Thanks

It's worth taking them down and double checking.

It's worth taking them down and double checking.
I'm gonna start all over when I have more time to work on it . Is there supposed to be an o ring on the bottom and on the top of the element ? I've done this before I don't know why I'm having so much trouble .
I've been in and out of the hosiptal over the last year with a bunch with heart issues that included some surgeries . I'm getting older I know but maybe there is something to the anesthesia. The simple stuff ain't so simple anymore .

Marty, I have CAV filter on my engine and 4 o-rings are coming with the replacement element, 2 big for the top and bottom of the cartridge and 2 small for the purge screws.

If the orings on the CAV filters are boggered up, they will leak fuel when priming pump is operated. They are downstream of the pump so normally under pressure, not suction. Problem is not there.

If the orings on the CAV filters are boggered up, they will leak fuel when priming pump is operated. They are downstream of the pump so normally under pressure, not suction. Problem is not there.
Ok here is another problem that I didn't want to bring up because I didn't think it was related but now I'm thinking maybe it is .
About a week ago I rewired my fuel transfer pump . It's set up with a switch and just a couple alligator clips that I attach to the generator battery and has 900 racor in line . All four tanks are plumbed to this with valves and the downstream is just a hose from the pump that I move around to fuel fill in any of the tanks( very manual ) . I checked it to make sure it would come on after I rewired it . It worked but I didn't try to transfer any fuel . When I had this problem the otherday I tried to use to the fuel transfer to put some fuel in a can to prefill my new filters . It ran but it wouldn't push out any fuel out from my storage tank . I gave up and just figured maybe I wired it up wrong . I've transferred fuel many times like this and I double checked to make sure I was doing everything right and yes there is fuel in tank that I was pulling from .
I hate to throw this at y'all but now I'm thinking this problem is the same sucking air somewhere . Sorry guys just trying to keep it interesting.

Last edited:
Ok lets eliminate everything from the pickup side of the pump . Attach a new hose on the pump inlet and stick that hose in a 5gallon drum of fuel and manually operate the pump NOW what happens ????

Ok lets eliminate everything from the pickup side of the pump . Attach a new hose on the pump inlet and stick that hose in a 5gallon drum of fuel and manually operate the pump NOW what happens ????
Ok it probably be the weekend before I can get back . Thanks

Marty, I have CAV filter on my engine and 4 o-rings are coming with the replacement element, 2 big for the top and bottom of the cartridge and 2 small for the purge screws.

If you are using NAPA filters they give you two small orings and three large diameter gaskets. Two of the large diameter gaskets are identical and one slightly smaller but wider. Apparently there are CAV filters on tractors that have a glass bowl under the element and use all three. One of the two large diameter gaskets goes in the top housing groove and the wide one goes on the bottom of the element.

Air bubbles in the racor? You're sucking air into the filter body somewhere. That's why you're not pumping fuel to the secondary.

Air bubbles in the racor? You're sucking air into the filter body somewhere. That's why you're not pumping fuel to the secondary.
Yes I plan on tracking it down this weekend . With five total tanks and lines running in all directions and a country boy type fuel polishing system thrown in it's going to take a while . Replumbing the entire fuel system has been on my list for a long while . I would like to replumb the system to a central location with nice manifold.
William has over 400 gallons of fuel capacity , more than I will ever need . The PO made a few trips over to the Bahamas and would fuel up before heading over .

Ok it's running . This is what happened, at sometime a valve to one of the tanks with very little fuel in it was turned open . I also had my normal day tank open at the same time . Once the tank emptied that had very little fuel in it it started sucking air . I thought something was strange when I stuck my normal day tank and it had more fuel in it than the last time and I never added fuel . Both tanks were returning to my normal day tank .

Good news!
Yes I have too many valves spaced to far apart . I think I opened one by mistake when I was transferring/ polishing some fuel . I definitely need a couple nice manifolds in a central location with everything labeled properly.

Yep. I had the same issues when I bought Last Tango. The PO had hoses and valves everywhere. I removed most of it and made a simple manifold. No more problems.

Good to hear you found the issue. I also have Perkins 6.354s, so was reading with much interest.

Good thing you found your issue, now you can relax and enjoy :)
Cheers!

L.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom