big engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captain ray

Has anyone out there ever heard of a Albin 36 double cabin powered by a 210 cummins turbo? Sounds like this little trawler is hauling too much engine. Let me know what you think as I am looking hard at this 1990 trawler. Thanks in advance----Captain Ray

The GB36 we chartered before buying our own boat was powered with one of these engines. Very good powerplant, well suited to the GB hull which can make use of the power to go faster. Later GB36 twins have two of them.

I think it's well suited for a 36' boat and would have no qualms about buying this size of boat with that engine assuming the boat and engine(s) surveyed out well.

A friend has exactly that, a 36 Albin, '89, with the 210 turbo Cummins. Doesn't need the 210 but it has it without any negative effects. Fuel use is simply how hard you push it.

My PT Overseas 35' has twin Cummins 6bt 210s. With a following sea, a stiff wind and WOT I once had her going 15.5 knots but she is pretty comfortable going 9 knots. I'm told the PT stands for performance trawler but that isn't the reality. Anyway, a single would push her nicely at 8 or so.

This oxymoron style boat and name "fast trawler" as the add guys thought motoryacht did not sound Green enough or exude seaworthy connotations.

"Motoryacht" is verbiage for the usually partying ,wood be , Gadsby set of swells that infest many marinas, and seldom depart.

Last edited:
The 6BT Cummins 210 HP is the OEM engine on the Monk 36 and has been for years. I believe before it was a 165 Perkins or similar. The boat performs well and it is an engine that is used in many industries for years so parts and service are easy to find.
I usually cruise at 8-9 statute MPH 1800-2000 RPM and am happy with the engine.

Has anyone out there ever heard of a Albin 36 double cabin powered by a 210 cummins turbo? Sounds like this little trawler is hauling too much engine. Let me know what you think as I am looking hard at this 1990 trawler. Thanks in advance----Captain Ray

We have a 1990 38 Marine Trader Dlb cabin with twin Cummins 6BT 210 hp. We cruise at 6-7 kts and wot 11-12kts. Great engines!

Gina

Our IG32 (as does Walt's Seahorse II) has a Cummins 330 6BTA. A friend has an IG32 with the Cummins 210. I can't get much more boat speed out of the 330 than my friend gets with the 210. IMHO 330hp (and maybe 210 as well) are too much wasted HP for a 16,500 lb (dry weight) semi-planing boat. Our last 40' boat had twin 73hp engines and cruised at about the same speed as the IG.

When we were boat shopping I looked at a 40 Albin with a single Cummins 210. Unfortunately at the time I was only browsing and not in a position to make an offer.
If I ever have to repower it will be with a Cummins 210. I think its perfect power. The 120 Lehman is a little weak for some situations.

This oxymoron style boat and name "fast trawler" as the add guys thought motoryacht did not sound Green enough or exude seaworthy connotations.

"Motoryacht" is verbiage for the usually partying ,wood be , Gadsby set of swells that infest many marinas, and seldom depart.

FF, I wanna party with you!!!! :dance: :dance:

By all accounts (except FF) a great choice of engine for that boat. Never be afraid of too much horsepower. You can always throttle back, but if you need the extra and don't have enough, tough bananas.
I speak from the experience of repowering my 44 that came with twin 145s to twin 200s. The guy that had my engines before me couldn't get the speed he wanted in a 30 footer, so took out 400 hp and went up to 470.
At 8 knots I get much better mileage with the bigger engines than I got before, so don't let stories of inefficiency put you off.

Never be afraid of too much horsepower. You can always throttle back, but if you need the extra and don't have enough, tough bananas. .

:iagree: Down here in SoCal, boats with the bigger engines sell well.

Last edited:
I have twin 1989 210 Cummins in my 42" Monk. She displaces 32,000 lbs and has a max speed of 12 knts. We burn 2.8GPH at 7.8 knts, 1550 RPM . Everything thing I've read says these Cummins will run forever with minimal care and feeding. That all being said my boat could do just as well with two 120 HP Lehmans. 240 HP vs 420 HP, I only need about 80 HP to make cruising speed. But........ I LOVE the Cummins.

Yes, all this talk about little things is un American.

That was when diesel was 19c a gallon.

Times and concepts change near $5.00 a gal.

An American opinion is that the 210 hp Cummins is not a big engine.

And yes Walt ... if your'e selling boats to Americans bigger is better.

"And yes Walt ... if your'e selling boats to Americans bigger is better."

That is why so many "trawlers" have outsized engine HP ratings..

The fact that auto or light truck engines are rated with very high , 15 min ratings is good as they don' suffer when operated at a more realistic HP rating , frequently 1/2 or 1/4 of "advertised..

Back
Top Bottom