Old 08-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: WYC, Port Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: Bonaventure
Vessel Model: Cheer Men PT41 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Call me crazy but I guessing this guy knows the difference from a sound made by vibration and the sound his exhaust is making at the transom.
Thank you Bill, yes I do; but I still appreciate all the input though... "no stone unturned"...

If I lean over the transom the "droning" gets louder so I know it is exhaust. If it was coming from inside the boat it would get quieter with the transom between my head and the cabin. I guess it's possible that some noise may be generated through the hoses to the transom thru-hulls but I doubt it. There's 8 feet of hose from the lifts to the transom.

I did have an issue before I changed the motor mounts that was the cabin sole vibrating as described (like a drum) but that's taken care of and this droning is only noticeable the farther (further?) aft you go and esp on the flybridge.

I just found a company online that makes inline mufflers called GGB Exhaust that are only a couple of hours away from me. He said they've sold their inlines to a few diesel customers with the same complaint. He said that they will NOT change the DB level much but they should all but eliminate the droning, at least that has been their experience in the past. They should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. For $226cdn delivered for a pair (I got a bit of a discount), they're worth a try.

Now, on the water flow... Boiled out the coolers???? Please explain.... Never knew I had to do that or how. Also, bear in mind (if it makes a difference) this boat has been in fresh water it's whole life....
Rduval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #22
Guru

City: gulf coast
I meant no insult but determining sound source is often not easy.

Boiling is what radiator shops did to clean them. IIRC it was actually an acid bath that bubbled away.

IN any event to find the source of a water restriction a systematic inspection of every part from seacock to mixer is better than random attack, IMO.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
I meant no insult but determining sound source is often not easy.

Boiling is what radiator shops did to clean them. IIRC it was actually an acid bath that bubbled away.

IN any event to find the source of a water restriction a systematic inspection of every part from seacock to mixer is better than random attack, IMO.
No Insult taken...

Not sure how often the coolers need to be boiled? and which ones? Oil? Transmission? Even in fresh water or is it a salt water thing?
Old 08-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Ah, I did not catch you were a fresh water boater. My bad. In that case since your strainers are clean and your impellers new I'd check and make sure there are no old blades or junk trapped in the first cooler down stream of the pump. Then use a IR temp gun to see if you can find any hot spots along the flow of the raw coolant water.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rduval View Post
T

I noticed Marin's photo of his custom exhaust that the outlet looks about half the size of the inlet. Is that that case Marin?
The photo was taken with a wide-angle lens, so I'm sure that accounts for some of it. The water-cooled elbow on the manifold is a stock item from American Diesel. The exhaust hose that the fiberglass lift muffler feeds is the stock exhaust hose for this boat and these engines. The hose run from the cooled elbow to the muffler is larger in diameter than the exit pipe out the top of the muffler, but I don't know the comparative diameters of the various components. As Capt. Bill says, this is a pretty common setup for twin-engine GBs with these engines, at least around here.

There is steam and there is steam. Our engines steam some during the winter simply because of the ambient temperature and humidity conditions. They don't steam enough to be noticeable during the warmer months.

However, when they do steam, one exhaust steams more than the other. I asked our diesel shop about this (the one that installed the new exhaust systems) and they said that there are several factors affecting the presence and amount of steam out an exhaust. The difference in the length of the exhaust run between the port and starboard engines can do it, for example.

I have seen boats cruising in the fall and spring here with the entire back end of the boat enveloped in steam. On the one or two times I had an opportunity to ask the operators about it, they said that's just the way it's always been.

If your coolant and transmission temps are correct, if there's no coolant getting into the oil, if all indications are that the engine or engines are running just fine, the chances are that if there's steam, that's just the way it is.

Now if they didn't steam before and now they do and you haven't changed anything like the exhaust system or whatever, then there would be cause for concern.

We make it a practice to watch the exhaust ports when the engines are started, and once or twice during a run I'll wander back and watch the exhausts for a bit. If everything looks like it always does at startup and underway, then no worries.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #26
Guru

IMO coolers are least likely cause ,plugged shower head holes, bad impeller, junk or impeller parts blocking something would be my bet before doing anything like "boiling"

Louder or changed sound of exhaust is a sure sign of water flow reduction .

The post above makes a good pint. If it has been this way since new I would be less concerned.

I have boated in snow storms, fl summer , pacific cold water and never see anything except for a few wisps of steam .
Old 08-19-2014, 06:04 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Plugged shower head????
Old 08-19-2014, 06:46 AM   #28
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rduval View Post
Plugged shower head????

Ditto. What is this "shower head" that you speak of?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-19-2014, 06:58 AM   #29

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
I had a dock neighbor (fresh water) that would go to Sam’s and buy a case or two of cheap white vinegar. He would fill a 5 gallon bucket with it, close the through hull, take the hose off going to the strainer and put the end into the bucket of vinegar, start the engine and run it till all 5 gallons were run into the engine. The vinegar was left in the system for 24 hours. He felt that it would clean out the raw water system. He never had a overheating problem, but this might be because he was a meticulous about his maintenance,etc…
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Vinegar.... Not a bad thought if it was done regularly. Not sure if it would be strong enough to get old crap out though....
Old 08-19-2014, 08:30 AM   #31
Guru

Shower head it a name for the place where the water enters the exhaust to mix and cool it. It ually has a lot of smallish openings circled all around the outside diameter . They are supposed to spray water all around so there are no local hotspots before everything gets mixed up flowing through the pipes.

What you see on the outside is one water pipe entering the exhaust but inside there is usually an inner and outer tube inner for exhaust outer for water. The water mixes with exhaust at the end through the small holes or some other structure to assure full diameter converge. Some are slots some are holes but only the smallest engines just dump water into the exhaust directly.
if you google <marine diesel exhaust elbow> you will find links to some PIX of various designs.

Again look for simple stuff before getting too concerned about the fancy stuff.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #32
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Chris used vinegar, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to bring our cap rails back from black.

Two ways to quiet down an old Lehman.
Lift mufflers or repower w a gas engine.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #33
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Shower head it a name for the place where the water enters the exhaust to mix and cool it. It ually has a lot of smallish openings circled all around the outside diameter . They are supposed to spray water all around so there are no local hotspots before everything gets mixed up flowing through the pipes.

What you see on the outside is one water pipe entering the exhaust but inside there is usually an inner and outer tube inner for exhaust outer for water. The water mixes with exhaust at the end through the small holes or some other structure to assure full diameter converge. Some are slots some are holes but only the smallest engines just dump water into the exhaust directly.
if you google <marine diesel exhaust elbow> you will find links to some PIX of various designs.

Again look for simple stuff before getting too concerned about the fancy stuff.
I think the name you are thinking of is " spray ring "

Heads have shower heads.. exhausts have spray rings..
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post

HOLLYWOOD
Bingo!
Old 08-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
So that is why I smell like diesel after a shower, thanx for clearing that up.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #36
Guru

Here's the transom mount muffler I was talking about:

http://books.google.com/books?id=A34FLGA

Salisbury Hydro-Vac
Old 08-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #37
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
OP has tried two different types of water lift muffler with no change. Water lifts are usually VERY effective at killing exhaust note, so I really wonder if drone is from another source.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Quote:

Salisbury Hydro-Vac
Link seem to be broken...
Old 08-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Quote:

Salisbury Hydro-Vac
I Googled it and found it, I was actually thinking about those. I remember seeing them on old wooden Chris Crafts when I was a kid. Wonder why they stopped making them and or using that design.....
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 08-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post

HOLLYWOOD
So can these spray rings get clogged up as suggested? I assume removing and/or replacing the exhaust manifold elbow is the only way to get at them...