Old 12-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
Kevin,

Have you ever looked at the Lowrance LMF-400 guages for displaying NMEA 2000 engine data? They aren't real expensive and can display just about any data transiting the NMEA 2000 network. I use one to display engine temp, oil pressure, and battery voltage at the upper helm to supplement the idiot lights and alarms.

Tom

Tom
Hello Tom, I have not considered that option, although it it something I'll google. It sounds interesting.

Are you our of Seward, Whittier, Homer or Valdez?

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #22

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
You just need a local wifi network on boat. It doesn't need to be connected to the internet.
Thanks for the clarification. However you are not being completely precise.

I have a hotspot with local wifi to my laptop or my phone and the IP cameras will not work. My phone is also capable of being a hotspot with local wifi and it won't support IP cameras either.

obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
If you have something as simple as a linksys switch, or router and you plug your cameras and laptop into it then you'll be able to access your cameras without having internet.
But you need internet to set it up. I have a hotspot and a linksys or router will not work.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #24
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
Thanks for the clarification. However you are not being completely precise.

I have a hotspot with local wifi to my laptop or my phone and the IP cameras will not work. My phone is also capable of being a hotspot with local wifi and it won't support IP cameras either.
Quote:
But you need internet to set it up. I have a hotspot and a linksys or router will not work.
If you are using a wifi hotspot, like at a marina and want to also have a network on your boat, thats doable as well.

Just get a router that can use wifi as the broadband or internet connection. Many of the cradlepoint units will do that.

My solution is that I never use free wifi. I use Mifi from my cellular provider using my shared data plan.

The end result is that I have a wifi hotspot on my boat with my boats name as the SSID. That wifi hotspot gives me access to any devices I have locally on the boat like cameras, or my alarm monitoring system. It also provides internet access.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 12-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #25

Quote:
I have a wifi hotspot on my boat with my boats name as the SSID. That wifi hotspot gives me access to any devices I have locally on the boat like cameras, or my alarm monitoring system. It also provides internet access.
So educate me....I have a Verizon Midi Wifi hotspot on my boat with the name of my boat as the SSID.....I have an IP camera and an wifi printer and neither will commuicate with the hotspot. Both want a wireless router connected by cable to a computer and the internet to set up the IP page. I do not have this router nor a internet connection other than the hotspot. I can't seem to do what you say you are doing.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #26

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: All Night Long
Vessel Model: Regal 2765
Quote:
So educate me....I have a Verizon Midi Wifi hotspot on my boat with the name of my boat as the SSID.....I have an IP camera and an wifi printer and neither will commuicate with the hotspot. Both want a wireless router connected by cable to a computer and the internet to set up the IP page. I do not have this router nor a internet connection other than the hotspot. I can't seem to do what you say you are doing.
That seems to be a limitation of the particular camera and printer. I have coworkers that use that Verison hotspot with wireless printers, so I know that it's possible. While I may have been imprecise. my point was simply that Internet access is not required. That hotspot will continue to provide local network routing even if it is out of range of a cellular internet signal.
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
That hotspot will continue to provide local network routing even if it is out of range of a cellular internet signal.
We disagree. My Verizon Hotspot has no pass through IP addressing and will not communicate with any camera or printer. It may be possible to add a wifi router that can be set up over a wirless conection but I do not have such a router. My hotspot will not act as a router wether in or out of range of a cellular tower.

If you have other more precise information than "friends are doing it" I would very much appreciate any help you can offer. I would like to monitor a couple of IP cameras on my boat. I could make sure my Cat is doing well and watch my firearms. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #28

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: All Night Long
Vessel Model: Regal 2765
Quote:
If you have other more precise information than "friends are doing it" I would very much appreciate any help you can offer.
I know that they have a variety of models. If you give me the specific model that you have, I can ask around here. I don't personally use one but there are several people that do.
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #29
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings, $650?
It's always nice to see someone with their priorities properly aligned.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Quote:
OK, the problem might be in your MIFI hotspot. If it does not allow interdevice communication, and or if it uses IP pass through then you'll probably have a problem.

The IP pass through just means that your laptop will aquire a IP address directly from your carrier. There can be limitations on how many devices, etc... Do not use IP pass through unless you have a specific technical reason for doing so.

I solve these issues by using a router that uses a MIFI as its internet gateway. The router then assigns IP address on its Lan subnet and uses PAT to allow devices to access the internet. Then you have a true LAN on your boat.

One guaranteed for sure way to make this work is to buy a router that can utilize your MIFI as its internet gateway. This can be either from plugging your MIFI directly into the router, if its a USB MIFI, or if its a hotspot only mifi having your router use WIFI as its internet gateway. In this case your router would associate with your MIFI hotspot.

IMHO, and having done this for a very long time, the best, cheapest, easiest to use devices to create a local area network with a cellular gateway are made by cradlepoint, www.cradlepoint.com. I have the model MBR1200 on my boat and the MBR1400 at my home business. While I typically greatly prefer Cisco IOS based products, I really like the Cradlepoint solutions for MIFI access.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 12-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #31

Quote:
One guaranteed for sure way to make this work is to buy a router that can utilize your MIFI as its internet gateway. This can be either from plugging your MIFI directly into the router, if its a USB MIFI, or if its a hotspot only mifi having your router use WIFI as its internet gateway. In this case your router would associate with your MIFI hotspot

I'm in full agreement with you. I will look for the correct router.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #32
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Tim,
I'm late but I think the decision to go with EGT guages is the best for the money. With the boost and egt and some experience they will tell you a lot about the engine running long before damage occurs.

Other alarms for high bilge water, temps, raw water loss, can be installed as you see fit.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
Tim,
I'm late but I think the decision to go with EGT guages is the best for the money.
Yes, I agree. Thanks

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote