Old 11-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Keep Water Out in the First Place

The video in this link was shot a few years ago on our sailboat. The product has since changed a bit to a full metal enclosure while growing evidence supports not needing to "recharge" the desiccant. The H2Out inventor says you can essentially install and forget about it as the silicon continuously regenerates its adsorption capabilities.

H2Out AVD Buy Tested

http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Mild steel, or black iron as the boat brokers prefer to call it, is a decent material for a fuel tank.....as long as, it was installed correctly, primed and painted correctly, never gets wet, never has water sitting in it, etc. etc, etc. It cannot compare to 5086 aluminum. 304 SS is even better than mild steel. 316 SS even more so. Both are seldom used due to stress cracking in the corners and bends and crevice corrosion. Of course Monel is the very best but now its about like unobtainium, expensive. If i were looking at a boat with steel tanks I would factor in my own figures for replacement and subtract that from the asking price. Steel tanks in a boat over 20 years old are on borrowed time. Good luck, hope it happens to the next owner.

kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:32 AM   #23
FF
Guru

"Of course Monel is the very best but now its about like unobtainium, expensive."

Now with copper and nickle down about 50% Monel should make a comeback , as even the cheapest boat assemblers will want to tout "forever" no fuel problems.

"Steel tanks in a boat over 20 years old are on borrowed time. Good luck,"

Perhaps, but if properly built and installed AND was built as a fuel tank, with a proper sump, only the sump might be rusty inside, if not maintained..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
If i were looking at a boat with steel tanks I would factor in my own figures for replacement and subtract that from the asking price. Steel tanks in a boat over 20 years old are on borrowed time. Good luck, hope it happens to the next owner.
I have seen SS, Al, FRP and steel tanks all go early or last well beyond 20 years. It depends upon design, installation, care and build quality.

In industry steel tanks for diesel can last for half a century, parked outside on a concrete slab. Lots of myths and general statements on this subject. My favorite real life forays into this subject are old tractors and trucks with half century old steel tanks still looking and running good. Ever seen a vintage diesel Mercedes with anything but a steel tank?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #25
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
A great artical from Practical Sailor on fuel additives.

Having been using Bio-for, I learned that I should have also been using an anti-corrosion additive.

Especially since I had not been keeping both tanks full mainly for financial reasons.

Lastly with the increased use of bio diesel, I don't understand why one would not add some additives to control moisture.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #26
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
I learned that I should have also been using an anti-corrosion additive.

Didn't pull the article up, what is corroding?

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote