Belt Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eagle419

Five of my seven belts pass around the hydraulic power take off, which makes replacement at sea quite a circus act.

I'm thinking that these PowerTwist belts might be a solution.

Anyone had a good/bad experience with these as a "permanent" replacement?

Cheers, John

Attachments

• DSC04341 (800x451).jpg
    DSC04341 (800x451).jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC04339.jpg
    DSC04339.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC04338.jpg
    DSC04338.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 94
I have a dual belt driving my hydraulic thruster. My policy is to buy belts in pairs and replace them early so they don't fail.
The previous owner had one of those emergency belts aboard. Maybe it wasn't the same brand, I don't recall. I thought it looked "iffy" so I chucked it out.

I have used them for driving pumps and alternators. They are extremely durable.

You can buy the stuff in bulk to make any length belt you desire.

Five of my seven belts pass around the hydraulic power take off, which makes replacement at sea quite a circus act.

I'm thinking that these PowerTwist belts might be a solution.

Cheers, John

I go to Everett bearing and belt and buy the best commercial grade. Next time I will ask them about those belts. I carry extra set of all most everything. Belts usally give signs they need replacing. In a emergency I have used a pany hose. But that is another story! :eek:

I realy like you boat! :socool: So how does she sail?

I look at adding sails to the Eagle as it had a front mast, and the mast on the roof could be taller. A Roughwater 58 was converted to a motor sailor. The sails were added to increase the range, and may be a get home. Lost track of her around Panama.

Wow! Never even heard of these. Kinda expensive though... I'll check them out for next season's replacement for sure. THANKS!

Used them in industry as a quick fix. They work OK. They did wear the v-grooves of the sheaves in an unusual pattern if left on for a long time period. Keep in mind this was on 24/7 equipment; 4000 hours comes up in less than 6 months. Would probably work fine on a boat.

Kinda expensive though...

That's the reason we keep them around our facility for emergency use. We keep a fairly complete stock of replacement V-belts on hand but sometimes crap happens. That's when we grab these.

Although we never rush out to change back to normal V-belts after the new shipment arrives. Just let them ride until replacement time comes again.

Thanks for all your responses.
I also keep plenty of spares for all systems and replace preemtively, but I think an 'at sea' response for a belt beak that doesn't require major dismantling is sensible.
Anyway, in general your experiences are positive, so I think I'll go ahead.
Next issue is the ribbed belts.....

That's the reason we keep them around our facility for emergency use. We keep a fairly complete stock of replacement V-belts on hand but sometimes crap happens. That's when we grab these.

Although we never rush out to change back to normal V-belts after the new shipment arrives. Just let them ride until replacement time comes again.

I've never seen these before, but find them intriguing.

Do they last longer than regular belts or are they intended as an "emergency/get the equipment back on line" field repair?

Would these make belt replacement a thing of the past or do they have a finite life span requiring inspection and replacement?

I noticed the video shows industrial applications with electric motors and compressors/blowers. Are they accepted for use on gas or diesel engines?

"Do they last longer than regular belts or are they intended as an "emergency/get the equipment back on line" field repair?"

For "our use" they are only installed when the needed belt is out of stock due to expense. When cost is not an issue they really cut down on your spares inventory.

"Would these make belt replacement a thing of the past or do they have a finite life span requiring inspection and replacement?"

Hardly. We experience a similar life expectancy. They do however make belt replacement easier.

"I noticed the video shows industrial applications with electric motors and compressors/blowers. Are they accepted for use on gas or diesel engines?"

Ask a mechanic but I wouldn't hesitate in an emergency. I didn't watch the video but our use is industrial.

Thanks, Craig. I always keep the old belts as an emergency repair...just in case. I think I'll stick to the regular inspect-and-replace-on-schedule system that has worked well for me. I'm lucky in that my belts are relatively easy to access and replace. Five minutes per belt (one bolt) is all it takes.

This Perkins-cam shot with your son Kyle lounging on the job shows the easy access.
img_156246_0_26d15f569549d34a57c4efff8f463e1a.jpg

I have put a spare set of belts on engines that are difficult to replace. I use zip ties to hold them back out of the way of the shives and belts. When needed cut the old belts & zip ties & your good to go, much faster than pulling the parts required on a normal change out.

I've heard the zip tie idea before and it makes a lot of sense to me.

Al, you have the right game plan IMO. The universal belts would only make sense IMO if you where either serious cruiser or had a variety of sizes and space is at a premium. To pricy for my cheap skate ways.

Those link belts really cut down on vibration. When a piece of equipment is not run continuously. They work great on Table saws.
I use them in emergencys on Commercial HVAC apps, as Cpseudonym does,
They get changed out on the Preventive Maint quarterly service.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom