Old 11-17-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Baudouin marine diesel engines

Recently trade publications have been reporting on New York City's new fleet of high-speed catamaran ferries under construction in Louisiana (at the Horizon and MetalShark yards). The engines chosen are Baudouin 6M26.3s - six cylinders, 815 hp at 2100 rpm. This, after a reportedly rigorous competitive search across the Caterpillar, Cummins, MAN product lines and others. Advantages: high power-to-weight, reliability, serviceability, and low emissions.

I'm surprised, and curious. Have others heard of this French manufacturer? I had not, but maybe that just shows how provincial I am down here in Jacksonville, Florida. The company makes nothing but marine propulsion engines and gensets. They power a lot of workboats.

A search for the name on BoatDiesel turns up only three posts.

Baudouin's lineup starts with the 6 W105M, a six-cylinder turbo-ed engine weighing about 1780#, rated at 185 hp. If their products are as magical as NYC's Citywide Ferry Service seems to think they are, I wonder if they're worth considering for a repower. Parts and service are question marks, of course. The U.S. importer and service vendor is Hugo Stamp, HQ-ed in Ft. Lauderdale, with locations on both coasts and the Gulf of Mexico.

Or maybe NYC Citywide Ferry is making a boneheaded purchase that they'll live to regret.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. B. Baudouin. Good grief. I haven't heard that name for at least 10 years. The only vessel and application I'm aware of is/was a ferry boat (maybe 50'-wooden) we took from Mahe to either Praislin or La Digue islands in the Seychelles. The Seychelles were once a French colony (mid to late 18th century). I had never heard of the make up until that time either.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Follow the money! Somebody's brother in law must have the Baudoin agency!
I remember these in some of the ex French African colonies but never saw one anywhere else. Good engines, but spares and tech help?
Old 11-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Follow the money! Somebody's brother in law must have the Baudoin agency!
I remember these in some of the ex French African colonies but never saw one anywhere else. Good engines, but spares and tech help?
Come on why because you do not know it and it is french must you think it is not good and of course a fraud?
This company is existing for more years than I am (and you are) on earth. I was not even a spermatozoid (and same for you) that they were making marine engine. Maybe you never heard about it because its market is not leisure boat but more professional ship like fishing boat or tug boat.
About spares, just think that when this company started its business, caterpillar was not even yet created so I guess it is legitimate to think that you may continue to find spare or tech help for some years from now.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #5
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. I don't think anyone suggested Baudoin made bad engines or that the fact they were made in France made them bad. I think the issue is that in North America they are not at all common so finding a dealer or parts might be much more difficult than for a Caterpillar or a Cummins. I suspect finding Ford Lehman parts might be difficult in France as well.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
Guru

Well I guess that when NYC transportation is acquiring something like boat and engine they do not need to search for part or agency as they get the professional service that come along so spare parts should not be an issue. When my employer is buying a locomotive from GE they don't have to think about spares or support, it is just part of the contract.
Regarding my comment, just that I find something like "Follow the money! Somebody's brother in law must have the Baudoin agency!" a bit arrogant. But ok I grew up near the place this company is installed so maybe my heart missed a beat
Old 11-17-2016, 10:13 PM   #7

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
History from Mr Charles Baudouin is from 1902 he doing casting and in 1918 he create Moteur Bauduin and build marine engine.
he started with 5HP gas engine with gear box for pleasure boat.
1921 7HP gas engine
1922 all gas engine from 3HP to 60HP
1929 first diesel engine
1930 new diesel from 25 to 90HP DB series
1940 DK series from 40 to 150HP
1957 DV series V4 V6 V8 V12 from 200HP to 900HP with variable pitch
1963 DP series 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 strait en V8 V12 natural en turbo 11450 DP engine sold for 5,4 million of HP report say all most all of those engine still working at this days
1970 DF series V4 V6 V12 for fast boat
1987 VTI series 300HP to 1400HP
1991 M26 series V6 V8 V12 from 225 to 900HP at 1800RPM 70% was sold to export market
2009 Weichal Power (chinese company) bought Baudouin

in US the only distributor in Moror Service Hugo Stamp Inc

Baudouin have solid reputation on working boat especially on professional fishing boat, was indestructible engine.

They made also lot of marine en ground generator and tank engine...

Those day we don't hear about Baudouin

Hugues
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:33 PM   #8
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. 101. Let's hope the Chinese can maintain the quality of the Baudouin product.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 101. Let's hope the Chinese can maintain the quality of the Baudouin product.
This is 2 type of chinese company
The one they don't care about quality and produce low cost product
And the one make investment and bought company to have the technology
I don't know if Baudouin still made in France but so sure the recheach and development office still in France.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:41 PM   #10

somebody know a other France marine engine builder ?
Old 11-17-2016, 10:44 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Dont worry 9 of 10 chinese engine are good and for the remaining one as it is really cheap it can be replaced without spending too much!
Of course it is just a joke
Old 11-17-2016, 10:51 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101TUG View Post
somebody know a other France marine engine builder ?
Nanni was Renault manufactured, but check searching, I read Renault sold it a while back, but the engines continued being built in Bordeaux.
Pilou will know.
Peugeot and Citroen build diesels, surely they were marinized by someone.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #13
Guru

Some volvo, man or iveco are made in france as these company bought french factories years ago. Not sure about the amrine engine % though
Old 11-17-2016, 11:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Nanni was Renault manufactured, but check searching, I read Renault sold it a while back, but the engines continued being built in Bordeaux.
Pilou will know.
Peugeot and Citroen build diesels, surely they were marinized by someone.
Yes Renault Couach stop with marine in 1982 and Nanni Diesel toke the relay for Renault parts
Nanni still making marine engine they don't build block but marinised some engine, I know now they make marine engine on John deere bloc and apparently better marinisation from John deere him self

they have large game small to late power on Kubota Toyota John deere block

Peugeot Citroen don't have any marine engine...
Old 11-17-2016, 11:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Some volvo, man or iveco are made in france as these company bought french factories years ago. Not sure about the amrine engine % though
MAN build in Germany, years ago Nanni was taking some MAN block, Nanni are French dealer from MAN
Iveco Italian
Volvo ... not sure they build some in France
Ford yes but not marine one
Old 11-18-2016, 05:50 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101TUG View Post
MAN build in Germany, years ago Nanni was taking some MAN block, Nanni are French dealer from MAN
Iveco Italian
Volvo ... not sure they build some in France
Ford yes but not marine one
What I meant is that these brand are making some of their engines in france after the acquisition of some french division that are building engines.
Volvo is a sweddish brand, but build some of his truck engines in France after the acquisition of renault truck division.
MAN is german brand but its diesel division build big engine in Saint Nazaire in France.
Iveco an italian brand building some of its diesel in France for their buses if I am right.

Anyway I do not want to hijack the thread as it is about beaudouin
Old 11-18-2016, 06:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
What I meant is that these brand are making some of their engines in france after the acquisition of some french division that are building engines.
Volvo is a sweddish brand, but build some of his truck engines in France after the acquisition of renault truck division.
MAN is german brand but its diesel division build big engine in Saint Nazaire in France.
Iveco an italian brand building some of its diesel in France for their buses if I am right.

Anyway I do not want to hijack the thread as it is about beaudouin
if we speak about marine engine

MAN is build in Germany but may be Pielstick in France
Vovo Iveco marine not in France

about Baudouin they bought it to have the technologie and patent but for me I need to double check they now build in Chinese but research and development still in France..

Hugues
Old 11-18-2016, 07:01 AM   #18
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
The French built the early blocks for the CAT 3116. That fiasco destroyed the reputation of a really fine engine. I once owned a Peugeot but I'd rather forget about that mistake.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:32 AM   #19
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101tug View Post
somebody know a other france marine engine builder ?
sacm
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:33 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
The French built the early blocks for the CAT 3116. That fiasco destroyed the reputation of a really fine engine. I once owned a Peugeot but I'd rather forget about that mistake.
I am not taking special proud of anything french made but at the same time a bit surprised of some comment. France is one of the country where diesel is the most common and are one of the best diesel engine maker. As an example, one diesel engine used by BMW has been designed with peugeot and won a distiction of best diesel engine on the market for 8 years in a row. It is used in peugeot, mini and bmw cars. They are made by société francaise de mecanique north of france.
Also mercedes is using renault diesel engine in some of their cars.
Not specifically speaking of marine engine but french savoir faire in diesel is usually well known and has a long history.