Old 10-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #21
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Mine was done last haulout and this made a huge improvement in low-speed handling, did not affect cruise and cured a small vibration in the steering. Sorry, these photos are correct in my library.
Attached Thumbnails
A2E79BA6-20A3-4D0D-B687-2DA53AFFCED0.jpg   91587E78-43C5-4CF4-B6B6-5D246B9928D2.jpg  
Old 10-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #22
Guru

City: Anacortes
I've been curious and looked at articulating rudders several times. My conclusion has been that I'm only interested in the increased maneuverability for docking and an articulating rudder might provide what I'm looking for but a stern thruster will definitely provide what I'm looking for. Also the thruster would be cheaper. Never understood the question about power consumption on thrusters, you only use them for seconds and always with the engine on and alternator charging.
sean9c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
It’s all a mater of how much you have to spend and how big the problem is.

I have two bolt holes in my rudder horn. When I bought the boat the steering arm was attached to the outboard hole giving 30-35 degrees of rudder deflection w about 6 turns L-L at the helm. I attached the arm/rod to the inboard hole closer to the rudder shaft. Got 45 degrees of deflection and three turns L-L.

That made such a huge improvement in rudder effectiveness I can come out of my slip w full rudder at the helm and stay in gear throughout my 90 degree turn. With room to spare. I should add I usually back in. When other skippers are aboard Willy while making hard over turns close to other boats, pilings ext in close quarters they sometimes begin to grab controls. I actually gently pushed one guy away. He thought surely we were going to crash into the stern of the big seine boat just ahead.

I got lucky In several ways. Boat is always at less than 6.5 knots with a big rudder. The rudder, shoe and other related hardware is very stout HD equipment. Someone put the extra bolt hole in the horn in just the right place. And I’d just converted to hydraulic steering and went way overboard on skookum. Choose hose, pump and slave cylinder suitable for most 40’ boats.

Faster boats w lesser structure in their rudder system shouldn’t add to the TE of the rudder or increase the leverage at the horm and shaft. You may overpower the system while rushing down a good sized following sea, yawing too much and using full power and full rudder to keep from broaching. But a smaller bit of the above may be safe depending on how strong your rudder system is. Like having a strong shoe connected to the keel and to the bottom of the rudder is probably a big plus. The weakest link is what should get the attention. But for many slow trawlers the above may work as well for you as it did for me.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #24
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Picture of fish tail rudder on Libra. It is quite impressive to me how this can move the stern of a 65 ton boat laterally. In combination with a large hydraulic thruster in front, you can drive the boat sideways in direction of prop walk. A little tougher but still useful in the opposite direction.
I came to appreciate this more fully this Summer at the customs dock in Victoria Harbor. For those of you familiar with it, I was forced to the inside at low tide with about a foot of water under my keel in a very tight space. When leaving, I had to back up in two 90 degree turns wrapping around the Southwest end of the pier with spectators in very tight quarters.
I wanted to kiss that rudder.....
Attached Thumbnails
Libra rudder 2 (2).jpg  
Old 10-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #25
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
It is quite impressive to me how this can move the stern of a 65 ton boat laterally.....I wanted to kiss that rudder.....
Attached is the table of offsets for the team doing my fiberglass work in Ensenada Mexico (Niza Marine - good folks). I forget where I found the factors to make these calculations for my rudder, but this is what is being built. Note, there is a horizontal plate on the top and bottom to direct flow.

Originally, I inquired into articulating rudders as I know at least a couple Willards have one. One knowledgeable/experienced owner of not one but two Willards (one in SE Alaska, the other in Sea of Cortez) said "Pete, have you thought about a fishtail rudder?" So I did a bit of research and found several credible references similar to quote above from Klee Wyck. Relatively inexpensive modification. I own a slip and this will hopefully solve my fear of a particularly difficult configuration.

Fingers crossed - will update when complete!
Attached Thumbnails
Rudder Modification (Jun 4 2019).jpg  
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #26
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Attached is the table of offsets for the team doing my fiberglass work in Ensenada Mexico (Niza Marine - good folks). I forget where I found the factors to make these calculations for my rudder, but this is what is being built. Note, there is a horizontal plate on the top and bottom to direct flow.

Originally, I inquired into articulating rudders as I know at least a couple Willards have one. One knowledgeable/experienced owner of not one but two Willards (one in SE Alaska, the other in Sea of Cortez) said "Pete, have you thought about a fishtail rudder?" So I did a bit of research and found several credible references similar to quote above from Klee Wyck. Relatively inexpensive modification. I own a slip and this will hopefully solve my fear of a particularly difficult configuration.

Fingers crossed - will update when complete!
I think you will be happy with the FT rudder. Articulating is nice but more of a new construction thing as opposed to a refit item.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #27

City: Hong Kong
I have an articulated rudder on my Duck, It was installed during the build. I agree with the comments above - it's fantastic.

One thing not mentioned is that it reduces the autopilot working loads as the rudder deflection is very small.
Searios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:31 AM   #28
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I'm curious as to where the cost estimates for an articulating rudder are coming from. It is a pretty simple device, easily added to many rudders at least. Basically a trim tab with a lever on it. The $8K mentioned above implies 100 hours labor at $80 per - that is a very long time to do this simple job on a 40' ish trawler.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #29
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
I'm curious as to where the cost estimates for an articulating rudder are coming from. It is a pretty simple device, easily added to many rudders at least. Basically a trim tab with a lever on it. The $8K mentioned above implies 100 hours labor at $80 per - that is a very long time to do this simple job on a 40' ish trawler.
It could easily take that long if it's a composite rudder. Marine grade steel and aluminum are getting rather pricey as well. $80 per hour is a low rate in most areas.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #30
DDW
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
It could easily take that long if it's a composite rudder. Marine grade steel and aluminum are getting rather pricey as well. $80 per hour is a low rate in most areas.
I had the carbon fiber rudder for my sailboat completely reskinned and reprofiled for about 1/4 that price. Way more work than adding a tab. If you are talking about a steel or aluminum rudder then it is that much easier.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #31
Guru

City: Here
Suggest you consider the fishtail rudder. 1hr. installation of two ss fins bent at 15 degrees, two bolts, 4 nuts. total cost less than $80.

Our boat was built with an improper rudder design. The designer had specified a balanced rudder. The builder ignored his instructions. The boat was extremely difficult to turn in tight quarters. The fishtails made a tremendous difference.
Don't need no stinkin' stern thruster
Attached Thumbnails
new rudder profile.JPG   new rudder tail.JPG  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:02 PM   #32
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Articulating rudders are a little more complex than a trim tab. The articulating end pivots at a incrementing angle as the rudder turns away from center. There are no hydraulics or additional controls like with trim tabs. It's all mechanical with struts and pivots that has to continue working in harsh underwater conditions.

And that $8,000 was a few years ago. I'm sure it would be higher in 2019.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #33

City: Istanbul
Vessel Name: Tickety Boo&Pruva Neta
Vessel Model: Tarquin Trader 41+2. 1989&Trader 44-2002
Response to articulated rudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
No I have not interesting thought but would need some engineering assistance
Hi Guy,
My name is Fikret Ezberci.I am a mechanical engineer and involving with marine industry 45 years.Please contact me on my e mail adress as below;
ezberci@ezbercimarine.com
I have Tarquin Trader 41+2 .
I think I can help you either in design or manufacturing articulated rudder/rudders
Attached Thumbnails
CE376CAD-ED24-455A-9FDA-5BD98D709795.jpg  
ezberci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
I had the carbon fiber rudder for my sailboat completely reskinned and reprofiled for about 1/4 that price. Way more work than adding a tab. If you are talking about a steel or aluminum rudder then it is that much easier.
I was speaking of a full articulating rudder not a fish tail.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Articulating rudders are a little more complex than a trim tab. The articulating end pivots at a incrementing angle as the rudder turns away from center. There are no hydraulics or additional controls like with trim tabs. It's all mechanical with struts and pivots that has to continue working in harsh underwater conditions.

And that $8,000 was a few years ago. I'm sure it would be higher in 2019.
Yeah there's a lot of hard maths involved in getting those angles right so the rudder turns properly and in an expected way.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #36
DDW
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Articulating rudders are a little more complex than a trim tab.
Not talking about a fishtail. It is a trim tab with a simple lever, usually controlled by a post in a slot. This isn't rocket science. Something as simple as a fishtail should cost almost nothing (in boat terms), whether composite or metal rudder.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:02 PM   #37

City: Istanbul
Vessel Name: Tickety Boo&Pruva Neta
Vessel Model: Tarquin Trader 41+2. 1989&Trader 44-2002
Quote:
Not talking about a fishtail. It is a trim tab with a simple lever, usually controlled by a post in a slot. This isn't rocket science. Something as simple as a fishtail should cost almost nothing (in boat terms), whether composite or metal rudder.
Please inspect the principles of the rudders which you called “articulated”,Dutch guys called”Flap rudders attached
Attached Images

ezberci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #38

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: EASTNOR
Vessel Model: Mainship 390 Trawler
Articulating Rudder

I purchased an Articulating Rudder from Bayview Engineering and had it shipped to Winter Harbor Marina in Brewerton, NY on the Erie Canal ant they installed it. They did an excellent job.
Capt Bill
EASTNOR
2001 Mainship 390
eastnorboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #39

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: On The EdJ
Vessel Model: Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
How much was the rudder Capt Favro
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:48 PM   #40

City: Sunset Beach, NC