Aqualoy 22 versus Aqualoy 19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I have a bent shaft, it is either straighten it or get a new one someday on the next haulout.
Currently is 1 3/8 diameter SS maybe 8 feet long.

Prices here seem ok. A19 is $550 and A22 is $750
Any opinions? I am certain the shaft in there is a common SS type shaft.
https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/propeller-shafts

Western Branch Metals is close by in Suffolk VA, I suppose could get it from them, do they repair shafts?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...57bd22e6b9f9b1d9!8m2!3d36.719264!4d-76.593985

Edit, I called them and is $85 per hour and wont take an hour to straight to within 0.004.
So $85. Does that seem a good price?

Last edited:
I'd go with 22, so do many others. Google Western Branch Metals for considerable boat shaft data and information.

I'd go with 22, so do many others. Google Western Branch Metals for considerable boat shaft data and information.

They recommend 22 for salt water. Although both need anodes. I have no clue about my current shaft what it is made from except that it is SS.

I uploaded an Aqualoy brochure.

Attachments

• Aqualoy_Brochure.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
I would sure spend $85 to get the existing shaft straightened.

BTW, do those Aqualoy prices include the end machining- taper and keyway, or are they just the bare stock? I ask as they seem low and could double with machining.

David

My local shaft shop quotes price for the whole gig, which includes cutting to length and doing end machining. But be sure!!

If a low rpm and a low stress shaft, I'd try straightening.

22 is what we set up new rigs with.

I would sure spend $85 to get the existing shaft straightened.

BTW, do those Aqualoy prices include the end machining- taper and keyway, or are they just the bare stock? I ask as they seem low and could double with machining.

David

They are fully machined, ready to use. Except for the dimples the bolts of the coupler fit into. Which you can drill yourself.

If you get a new coupler, do you have to get it faced off? They local guy says $45 to do that.
I dont understand how a new coupler is not already machined true.

They are fully machined, ready to use. Except for the dimples the bolts of the coupler fit into. Which you can drill yourself.

If you get a new coupler, do you have to get it faced off? They local guy says $45 to do that.
I dont understand how a new coupler is not already machined true.

I would get it machined. You need to be aligned within a few thousandths, so why get it as perfect as possible?

I dont understand how a new coupler is not already machined true.[/QUOTE]

Coupler flanges do need to be machined. New or not they can be off. It is a lot cheaper, and convenient, to just get it done than have a problem and get it done later.

Keep in mind also that the shaft has tolerances as does the coupler bore and the coupler face. Once in a while even though each face, bore, shaft, are within specs. those tolerances can be additive the wrong way enough to be a problem.

Yep. get the coupling flange face skim cut while on the shaft on the lathe. Should not be necessary, but well worth it. A couple thou runout makes for an annoying wiggle. Skim cut will make it silky smoooooooth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom