Old 02-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #41

City: Baltimore/Florida
Vessel Name: HeinSite
Vessel Model: Defever 43
I guess one does not get to be our age without developing some healthy scepticism. The second place I took the injectors to was American Diesel in Kilmarnock. I figured they should know.
Dickhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #42

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako
If ADC said they were OK then I would believe it.
R.
ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #43
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphyost View Post
Another case of why I verify everything and do not trust much in technical areas.....
R.
Spoken like an FAA technical guy, good.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #44
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I'm not sure about that...if they were a different injector than OEM but a suitable replacement and the tech verified by serial numbers from the injector manufacturer...that presents a common issue in the marine world.

My guess is that they were exactly the same but verifying sometimes isn't just one phone call unfortunately.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #45
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I'm not sure about that...if they were a different injector than OEM but a suitable replacement and the tech verified by serial numbers from the injector manufacturer...that presents a common issue in the marine world.

My guess is that they were exactly the same but verifying sometimes isn't just one phone call unfortunately.
Does OEM even apply on a 30+ year old Lehman for any fuel system parts? Sure, AD or TAD can sell one stuff that should work, but mixing and matching old to new injectors can get interesting.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #46

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako
Regardless of the injector manufacturer, the injectors need to open in accordance with the design of the engine...ie at the pressure and timing of the engine design. If the injectors open early (as is the case with low pop pressure) you are effectively changing the timing of when the fuel is introduced into the cylinder and therefore altering the combustion process.
ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #47

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
Definitely not trying to hijack this thread, just a quick question hopefully. In reading the thread and all of the experience and knowledge of components that can apparently make huge differences, is there a book or class to get caught up on how to maintain the FL120? Thanks!
~ Jeff
Jbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #48
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbear View Post
.... is there a book or class to get caught up on how to maintain the FL120? Thanks!
~ Jeff
Well Jeff, there is the "Operators Manual & Parts Identification" book which came with the engine.
On p3 Robert F Smith, Executive VP writes " the most important recommendation I can make ....is "do not tinker"(his italics).....unless you know what you are doing, keep your hands off!"
The rest is more encouraging, deals with routine servicing, fuel bleeding, trouble shooting, etc.
I`d ask American Diesel if there is something more extensive, and newer. There are so many of these engines it would be surprising no one has put pen to paper. There are workshop manuals for obscure auto engines, why not for the FL?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #49
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
Jeff,

Trawler Fest in Anacortes this May has the Bob Smith 2 day class on the Lehman. I sent you a PM.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 AM   #50
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Oh, I'd like to get in on that class. Sign up info please?
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #51
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
Trawler Fest is in Anacortes this year again. Registration, from the passagemaker.com site is scheduled to open in late February. The class is part of what they call Trawler University, lasts 2 days and costs $450.00. Google Bob Smith Trawler Fest diesel class and you will get more info on what it I does.

I hear very good things about the class. I plan to do it.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #52
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
These Fords are basic tractor engines with mechanical IP. There is very little to know about these diesels that any general diesel class wouldn't teach. I have a basic diesel in my truck and that has helped me tremendously to understanding these Fords.

One thing I did was to buy new heat exchangers and I custom ordered larger longer units. This has kept the cooling in check for me.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #53
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
I am no diesel expert. But I am wondering why nobody is considering low coolant flow to be the cause of this. A partially clogged heat exchanger or obstruction in the cooling system could result in the last cylinder overheating.. Was the coolant pump impeller checked? Was the temperature of the coolant checked entering and exiting the heat exchanger? Where is the engine temperature measured? Is it where the coolant enters the engine or wwhere it exits? Or is it measuring the oil temperature.

I apologize in advance if these are noob suggestions, I am just trying to learn as much as I can.

Scott
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #54
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Perfectly reasonable questions - I have always advocated a new owner replace the heat exchangers and keep the old ones as spares. Particularly the transmission cooler as it has no warnings if it fails, until the transmission fails. One of the boats I looked at to buy had a milkshake in the trans. From a failed cooler.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
I am no diesel expert. But I am wondering why nobody is considering low coolant flow to be the cause of this. Where is the engine temperature measured? I apologize in advance if these are noob suggestions, I am just trying to learn as much as I can.

Scott
This was discussed in a few of the posts.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #56
Veteran Member

City: Oak Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Island Sunset
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46' LRC 1983
I took Bob's Lehman class at Trawlerfest Anacortes several years ago, and it was well worth it. He had the class pull the Simms pump, injectors, and reinstall. Adjusted the valves, torqued the head, and restarted the demo FL120. Lots of fun.
Island Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote