Vessel Model: Transpac Eagle 32
Anyone use a Smartplug?

Curious to hear your reviews. https://smartplug.com/
Transpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
I replaced Marinco plugs with Smart Plugs. Boat was wired for 50 Amp but put 30 Amp plugs and wires.

Two years of use from Anacortes to Glacier Bay & back with no problems--so, they did what they were supposed to do.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
When looking for a boat I assumed I would upgrade to 30Amp SmartPlug - but the boat we liked (and bought) is a 50Amp boat, and standard Marinco 50amp is much more robust than 30 amp, and much less prone to problems, so I'm just putting new std ends/plugs on my shore cord.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I put 2 of them on my boat 2 years ago. Really like them, very easy to plug in no trying to find which way the plugs go in and trying to twist lock the plug.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpac View Post
Curious to hear your reviews.
I bought and installed a 50 A-220V Smart plug about 4 years ago and haven't had one problem with it!
Attached Thumbnails
Smart Plug.jpg  
Old 04-18-2019, 11:25 AM   #6

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
I changed all four of my plugs. Two 30 amp inputs, two forward, two aft, usage depends on dock configuration.
Like them, have had no problems. Easy to use and stupid proof.
Dock end is still Marinco style, figure that pushes any issues off the boat and makes it someone else's problem.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Transpac,
You may want to check out a very informative article on this product. See: https://pbase.com/mainecruising/installing_a_smart_plug
On that website, there is another article called "Hall of Fail" regarding shore power cord failures.
FYI, some insurance companies will give a reduction or rebate if you switch to a "Smart Plug" and have it professionally installed, so an inquiry may be a good idea if you decide to go ahead with the change.
I installed a Smart Plug on my previous boat and received an insurance rebate and was very happy with the product. Because my new (to me) boat came with a brand new cord, I have not yet installed one on this boat. I also regularly inspect my cords and boat connections.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #8
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I replaced the twin 30 amp marinco with SmartPlug probably 5+ years ago. No problem and I check the temperature of the plugs 2 or 3 times a year while a heavy load is on the system.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:50 PM   #9

City: Ottawa River
Vessel Model: 36 uniflight ss
Just purchased a 30 amp one, hope to install it soon. Looks like by promotional material to be a great thing, time will tell.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:25 PM   #10

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
I replaced both 50amp inlets on my boat and replaced one of my shore power cord end with SmartPlug. It takes a little bit of muscle to insert/remove the plug. I added some rescue tape around the cord to plug joint.
Overall I am very happy with the SmartPlug design. I do wish it had an LED showing power flowing.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:04 AM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I installed a 30amp Smart Plug outlet on my last sailboat. I really liked it. Much better than the traditional 30amp connector.

My current boat has 50amp/120v connections. They are much better than the 30amp so I don't feel the need to change to a Smart Plug.

However, most of the time I am plugged into 30amp services so switching would avoid having to use an adapter.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #12

City: Gustavus
Vessel Name: Troll Hunter
Vessel Model: Allweather
I installed a 30 amp Smartplug a couple years ago. A couple months ago I noticed that the orange outside case had cracked. I don't remember any way it could have been damaged. I sent a photo to Smartplug explaining that I had no proof of purchase and they sent me a new plug at no cost.
ak-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:13 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
On the recommendation of a surveyor, 8 yrs ago, I put in a smart and got a $150 rebate from my insurer. Last summer the plug failed, and SP send me a new plug right away. The new one doesn't have the overtemperature cutout, that failed.

If you switch from Marinco, keep the old one aboard, as the SP is known to fail. Still a superior product and maybe the new one is better designed and less prone to failure.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:25 PM   #14

City: Ottawa River
Vessel Model: 36 uniflight ss
Just purchased one to install when the boat comes out of storage. Can't seem to find the insurance discounts in Canada though.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Saugatuck MI
Vessel Name: Odelay
Vessel Model: Transpac Eagle 32
Thanks everyone! I'm moving a Smartplug to the top of the shopping list for this season...
Transpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #16
Guru

City: Vermont
If you are replacing a 30A twist lock, then I can see the benefit of a SmartPlug. But if you have a 50A twist lock, I see no benefit. The 50A plugs are very robust.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #17
Guru

Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
When the SP was redesigned, the over temperature circuit breaker was eliminated.

The overtemp feature was the main reason to buy one. Without it I'm not sure if it's that much of an improvement.

Marincos new EEL cord with the jaw clamp design is similar to the SP without having to replace the inlet fitting.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #18
Guru

Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
When the SP was redesigned, the over temperature circuit breaker was eliminated.

The overtemp feature was the main reason to buy one. Without it I'm not sure if it's that much of an improvement.

Marincos new EEL cord with the jaw clamp design is similar to the SP without having to replace the inlet fitting.

While the EEL cord by Marinco is nice (I have a 50/120 Marinco EEL for my permanent dock cord now) it isn't nearly as solid as a 30 amp Smart Plug connection. IMO, that is the primary reason to go with a 30amp Smart Plug over the traditional 30 amp plug.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #19
Guru

Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
We have been using the Marinco and Hubbel 30 amp fittings for nearly 40 years without problems. Not even burn marks on the spades. The key is to keep the plugs clean and the locking ring tight. Shoot it with a temperature gun when running close to 30 amps and check the temp of the fitting. If it is hot, time to clean or replace the plug or inlet.

Without the thermal cutoff, the improvement offered by Smart Plug is not worth the extra expense.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
The primary reason for a Smart Plug is the vastly increased area of contact versus twist lock plugs. Also I love the plug because mine are low on the deck and I used to have to get down on my knees, not good, to line up the twist lock plug. Now I just bend over and push in the new plug until it latches close the cover down until it latches, no more getting down on my knees.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote