Old 05-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Anyone here with 3208 cat turbo 375hp diesels?

Hello all, I am trying to find air filters for my 3208's and it appears no one makes them anymore. Mine are the foam type used on the marine versions, it is not the same as what was used on the industrial versions but the housings look similar. I did find that Walker makes a paper disposable drop-in replacement but am not sure it it will actually fit my filter box and in any case I just can't bring myself to pay $150.00 per filter.

I thought about making my own foam ones but am afraid conventional foam may not stand up to the environment or have the correct filtration properties.

What are you other 3208 owners doing for air filters? Anyone have any ideas?
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
Hello all, I am trying to find air filters for my 3208's and it appears no one makes them anymore. Mine are the foam type used on the marine versions, it is not the same as what was used on the industrial versions but the housings look similar. I did find that Walker makes a paper disposable drop-in replacement but am not sure it it will actually fit my filter box and in any case I just can't bring myself to pay $150.00 per filter.

I thought about making my own foam ones but am afraid conventional foam may not stand up to the environment or have the correct filtration properties.

What are you other 3208 owners doing for air filters? Anyone have any ideas?
I don't have Cat 3208's, but did retrofit K&N filters to another brand engine on our boat. Removed the old assemblies and swapped in some generic units that fit perfectly in the space. Even managed to use the original support brackets. The K&N on-line catalogue gives exact dimensions of each filter....flange dimensions, length, diameter, taper, etc. Just a thought...
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Morehead City, NC
Vessel Name: Grande Jete`
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 46 Classic
We have the 3208's-375 hp. Bought new foam filters from local Cat dealer in Beaufort about a year ago. If you cannot find them, you can wash your old foam filters in mineral sprits, couple of times, and blow them dry with an air hose. Make sure they are dry before reinstalling.
Chuck
Seaisleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

Thanks guys, mine are past the point of cleaning any more. I'll try to track down that Beaufort dealer, perhaps he has old stock. Will also have a look at K&N & try to match something by size. What a pain for a piece of foam, hard to believe Cat would quit making a filter for a popular engine, the motor is not that old!

Chuck, are your filter housings the ones with the big (female) threaded bolts on each corner of the cover?
Old 05-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Morehead City, NC
Vessel Name: Grande Jete`
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 46 Classic
Capt. Kangaroo,

Yes, our housings have four female bolts on the corners. Try Gregory Poole Marine Power @ 252-504-2640. They are the Cat dealers for much of NC. Lots of locations, so they can probably find them for you. Be sure to have the engine serial number when you call.
Good luck
Chuck
Seaisleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Just got this off of boatdiesel:

f you don´t like the Cat foam filters that come stock with your engine I would suggest a K&N universal clamp on filter.

Take some measurements of your filter area, go on line to the K&N web site and do your home work. Know what you want. Do NOT buy a filter with metal or wire support for the filter. Buy a filter that is all molded rubber with a 4" band clamp.

Remove the stock Cat filter assembly a clamp it to your turbo.

Buy the cleaning / oil kit and you will get years of service out of these filters.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #7

Thanks guys, appreciate all the help. Will post back here for the benefit of others what I turn up on the above leads.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: Huldra
Vessel Model: No longer looking
Hello
We have been looking at a 52' with twin 3208 Cat 375HP. How are the engines and what can I expect for fuelburn at around 8-10 knts. Displacement is 49000#.
Thanks in advance
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Hello We have been looking at a 52' with twin 3208 Cat 375HP. How are the engines and what can I expect for fuelburn at around 8-10 knts. Displacement is 49000#. Thanks in advance
We have a 55' with twin 3208 Cat 375HP., with displacement 44.000 cruising at around 8-10 knts and burning arround 5.5-6.5 g/hr
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #10

I can't comment on the fuel burn because two years on we are still burning the fuel that came with the boat. As to the question "how are the engines", I have not had any trouble yet but I think Cat must have got a bargain on steel when they designed these motors, they are ridiculously overbuilt for the application. I'm certain if you stripped the massive guards, brackets and housings off them you would end up lightening them by several hundred lbs each. Even the flat washers are a 1/4 in thick and I'm convinced you could safely block the boat using the air filter housings. Certainly no one can fault Cat for flimsy construction but I must be using 75hp of my 375 just to haul these things around.

Speaking of air filters I note I promised to get back to all with the filters I used. What I found was the originals "are" still available from Cat but the part number had been changed. Cost was about $100. each! When they get changed next time I'm following Peters advice above re: K&N filters.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thank you for the great advice. That makes us ONE STEP closer to a decision. Hope nobody mind that we are asking questions and using your guys experience to come to the best decision we can on buying our first and hopefully last trawler. Anybody have any experience with the construction of the Kha Shing. That is what this 51' is.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Thank you for the great advice. That makes us ONE STEP closer to a decision. Hope nobody mind that we are asking questions and using your guys experience to come to the best decision we can on buying our first and hopefully last trawler. Anybody have any experience with the construction of the Kha Shing. That is what this 51' is.
Yup- pretty bulletproof. Out PT52 is from the Kha Shing yards; we've had to deal with the usual problems of a 1989 boat:
  • Replaced the electronics
  • Replaced the original fridge
  • Repaired some leaks in the potable water system
  • Replaced the potable water pump

all normal for a 1989 boat. The previous owner maintained the vessel quite well, and we were the beneficiary of that care.

The boat handles well, tracks true underway, and is spacious and comfortable. Engine access is great, although I wish it had full standup access; that being said, each engine is easy to service.

We're full time liveaboards, and the PT52 is perfect for us.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thank you Pau Hana. e are going back this morning for the second look.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
Guru

Have a link for the boat? Like to take a look online.....

Old 10-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
Guru

My boat also an 1989 and I have an advise. Ask Mr. Catterpilar (Bruce Hicks) brucehicks@bellsouth.net , cel. (954)3208. He's the best in cat 3208 (look his cel number).
He came to my boat and gave us a class, showing all the problems that we could get and cleaned and fixed everything.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
Guru

After a day sailing with 1500 RPM, Bruce's advice is "Full Power" for 30 seconds to 1 minute to clean the engines. Don't be "Full Power" but increase the RPM to 2.300/2.500.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #17

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Catalyst
Vessel Model: 50 ft Power Cat
I have 375hp 3208's and threw my air filters in the trash several years ago (rotten). Aside from a stray mosquito or two, why should I have air filters?

The engine room does not get much dust like an earth-mover,
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by neworleansrich View Post
I have 375hp 3208's and threw my air filters in the trash several years ago (rotten). Aside from a stray mosquito or two, why should I have air filters?

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
x10
Old 10-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworleansrich View Post

No disrespect meant sir, but are you out of your mind????

All 4 stroke-engines, diesel or gas, need an air cleaner in place.