Old 10-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #21
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
As you all know I just brought my boat up from S.F. I had to replace my filters on my 3208s and they were only availble from Cat @ $49.99 each....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #22
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by neworleansrich View Post
I have 375hp 3208's and threw my air filters in the trash several years ago (rotten). Aside from a stray mosquito or two, why should I have air filters? The engine room does not get much dust like an earth-mover,
Clean air is just as important as clean fuel, do you take oil samples? With out air filters your likely to see high chrome & iron, the chrome is from the piston rings.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #23

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Catalyst
Vessel Model: 50 ft Power Cat
The oil samples have been within the same range. As far as the comment "All 4 stroke-engines, diesel or gas, need an air cleaner in place", this is true for gas engines that run on specific air/fuel ratios. A diesel pumps in more air than needed for the amount of fuel. Having a filter in place would not affect the mixture in a negative way. The only issue I can see is maybe a bit more intake noise.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #24
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
The oil samples have been within the same range. As far as the comment "All 4 stroke-engines, diesel or gas, need an air cleaner in place", this is true for gas engines that run on specific air/fuel ratios. A diesel pumps in more air than needed for the amount of fuel. Having a filter in place would not affect the mixture in a negative way. The only issue I can see is maybe a bit more intake noise.
An air filter has nothing to do with the volume of air an engine ingests, unless the filter is overly restrictive.

The filter stops particulate matter from entering the engine. I'm sure that you may believe that all is OK with your engine, but it's a matter of "when" not "if" problems occur if you run your engine without an air filter.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #25
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
You need to get your filter back in place. There are all sorts of stuff in your engine room that can find it's way into your engine. Diesel engines are basically heat/air pumps and a 3208 at full song can pump a very significant amount of air....I'm talking full air exchange 4x a minute. Anyway, any small particulate matter that makes it into your engine can do significant damage over time and if big enough, imeediately!!! There is a reason why fuel filters are measured in microns.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #26
Guru

If I was in the market to buy a boat & when I checked the engine room & saw no air cleaners that is when I would stop considering that boat. The cost of filters are cheap compared to the cost of a in frame overhaul. Pay close attention to pg 2

http://pdf.cat.com/cda/files/3375362...EBW4969-04.pdf
Old 10-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Laramie
Vessel Name: Song of San Fransisco
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander
Another + for air filters.
If you don't think there is dirt in the marine environment just don't sweep the floors in your cabin for a couple of weeks. SWMBO gets cranky if ours doesn't get swept or vacuumed every day or two. Even with "go barefoot" all the time calluses on my feet it starts bugging me after 2 or 3 days when the Boss is not on board. Just think how good or not it would be if some of that grit is crystallized salt.
Darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #28
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
My Perkins 6.534 do not have air cleaners, nor appear to have ever had them. Should I be worried?
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #29
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Simmons View Post
My Perkins 6.534 do not have air cleaners, nor appear to have ever had them. Should I be worried?
Sort of....high HP diesels are vacuum cleaners....lower HP diesels ...less so.

If you have a reasonably clean engine room and never leave anything that can get sucked into the intake...maybe not.

I would find SOME kind of filter system for it...doesn't have to be fancy or expensive...just something t keep the chunks out.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #30
FF
Guru

Not much dust at sea , just clean up well after GRP or woodwork projects.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Simmons View Post
I just took the injectors & turbo of a friends 6.354 to a shop that I've used in the past and that I trust to do quality work. The air end of the turbo has no filter just a plate with holes drilled in it, while working on the boat I told him that if it was mine I would do something to filter the air because what he had would only stop objects larger than marbles. The guy who rebuilt it asked if the filters were in good shape & clean because of the crud on the intake side. When I told him there were not filters just the plate with holes that'll keep it from sucking up the pet cat he suggested filters would be a good idea. Pieces the size that can pass thru the holes will destroy a engine right away, the stuff you can't see just takes longer. Anyone who thinks the marine environment is clean enough that you don't need air filters stop washing your boat for a season & then tell me how pristine your boat is.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #32

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
"high HP diesels are vacuum cleaners"
"keep it from sucking up the pet cat"

Thanks for the laugh guys.
A vacuum is a pretty good analogy. when I read it I had an instant mental picture of the wife firing up one of the 375hp monsters, hooking a hose to the intake and merrily going about vacuuming the boat. Blonde you know...... thankfully she doesn't read these forums.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #33
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Lots of marine diesels did NOT have air filters although they were the N/A. Mine was one of them, just a silencer box with a very coarse screen.
The old theory was that there is nowhere near the volume of dust and dirt in a boat that there was on the road.

However, I put one on and am glad I did. it's amazing just how much dirt of all types they catch. Agreed that unless something is seriously wrong that boats do not have to contend with road dirt but there are plenty of dirt sources aboard. Pest hair, people hair, sand tracked aboard, carpet fibres, other boat generated dust and so on.

Put a filter on.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #34
Guru

So the standard CAT foam filter (@ 49.99 ea) are flimsy and "just a piece of foam" clamped down on the intake. Do they make K&N type filters for the 3208s and does the turbo need a filter too?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #35
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Turbo anything needs a filter or you are asking for turbo damage. The turbo filters have some kind of a screen or wire support inside or the suction will flatten them. Some of them are not great but better than nothing.

The naturals were the ones that usually did not come with a filter but still had protection form larger pieces, just not the finer dirt.

Even with engines the same age though the turbo models had an air filter.
The turbo filter IS the air intake filter. On a turbo engine that is it.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #36

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Sea-Duction, this is one of the aftermarket filters I found, it is a drop in replacement for the Cat foam. Pricey but obviously a superior product.
Walker Engineering - What's New

There is another cone type I found that clamped right on to the end of the turbo, I liked it because you got to throw away the entire heavy filter housing assy which is always in the way when servicing. When I find the link for it again Ill post it but as I recall it was stupid expensive.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
Sea-Duction, this is one of the aftermarket filters I found, it is a drop in replacement for the Cat foam. Pricey but obviously a superior product.
Walker Engineering - What's New

There is another cone type I found that clamped right on to the end of the turbo, I liked it because you got to throw away the entire heavy filter housing assy which is always in the way when servicing. When I find the link for it again Ill post it but as I recall it was stupid expensive.
Thanks.