Annapolis School of Seamanship - Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FIRE

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Change
Anybody with recent experience with this school/class or another reccomendation in the Northeast for Cummins training? Not that the school is engine specific but I have researched a little and can't find anything but a tech school offering a year long program.
Like many others I am looking to learn how to troubleshoot, maintain, repair AND know when a job is beyond my capability.

Side question - How much do I need to spend on a torque wrench to buy limited duty usage.

Torque wrench: Project Farm YouTube is my go-to for questions like this.

https://youtu.be/HP4uECoH8cc

Spoiler: DeWalt and Icon/Harbor Freight did well in his testing. Both around $130 are time of his testing.

Peter

Anybody with recent experience with this school/class or another reccomendation in the Northeast for Cummins training? Not that the school is engine specific but I have researched a little and can't find anything but a tech school offering a year long program.
Like many others I am looking to learn how to troubleshoot, maintain, repair AND know when a job is beyond my capability.

Side question - How much do I need to spend on a torque wrench to buy limited duty usage.

No help on the diesel training, but here’s a torqu wrench I’ve purchased a few times. They’ll replace it no questions asked if it fails. I use it daily in an industrial setting and it holds up as well as anything else I’ve used.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C5ZL1NS/ref=dp_iou_view_item?ie=UTF8&th=1

It’s been several years ago but I took both the basic and advanced diesel courses at ASS and thought them worthwhile. The classroom/hands on style made it interesting and the emphasis on analytical troubleshooting was valuable. A friend took one of the electrical courses and she was equally impressed.

As for a torque wrench I’ve been using CDI torque wrenches for years. Considered pro duty and not inexpensive. I’ve had my fill of junk Craftsman and HF tools breaking.

I took the Basics and Levei II diesel courses from ASoS back in 2010... and I thought very useful, well taught, good hands-on. They use small sailboat diesels in the classroom, so it didn't provide hands-on with turbos and aftercoolers... but the basics were very good.

I got a Craftsman torque wrench last year. Don't remember how much it cost from the local Ace hardware.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom