Alternator Bracket Bushing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
Went out for a brief cruise over the weekend.* Port engine was "chirping"
After diagnosis, seems that the alternator/water pump belt was loose caused by the alternator not securely mounted.* All bolts were snug, but the bushing where the bolt goes through ("hinge point") seems to be worn, thus allowing the alternator to bounce around.* The pulley itself is fine.* Is this something that a place tha re-builds alternators would fix, or do I go to a machine shop?* I have not yet pulled the alternator off, which will hopefully yield more information.* Just sitting here at work pondering...

Max,The shop I use would not address wear in the bracket itself. I suspect they would change the case that has the "shoe" cast to it if it had excessive wear. I would suggest marking the position of the bracket on your block if it is adjustable before removing and having a machine shop repair the hole to match your lower bolt. I would also have a second look at the pulley. Look for a "step" at the bottom of the V where the bottom of the belt rides. This would indicate considerable wear.
Steve

If the engine is over 10 years old you might want to replace the vibration damper.

Could be the cause of the vibration that shook the hole bigger.

These are "consumables" and require replacement on time or engine hours.

FF

FF- Is there a way to check the vibration damper?

NOPE , You just write a check for a NEW damper.Its a matter of the elastic inside the unit hardening.

http://www.fluidampr.com/ may explain it better.

www.vibratechtvd.com

AS always look in the truck section for your base engine.

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 2nd of April 2009 04:45:38 AM

Thanks FF.* As usual I was thinking that all I needed was $2 bushing.* Now I'm looking at $980.00 for a damper.* Oh well,* B.O.A.T.

I have a question if the engine is firmly mounted how is it vibrating?** I would be concerned more than just the bracket?

I have a question if the engine is firmly mounted how is it vibrating?

How the engine is mounted is not the problem , the vibration is caused by the power pulses adding and subtracting twisting force to the crank, which absorbs and releases the force ,.

That makes for a torsonial vibration that can EAT the crank.

As noted its a service item (in time) just like an oil filter , oil pump, pan gasket or injector set.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom