Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpilot View Post
Ah, but the rest of the story is, lost water hose was days ago and the engine ran great while I spent about 1/2 hour at the dock checking out the tach with a laser sensor, and than for 3 hours on the next trip out at 2400rpm with no problems. I think the final "coup" was the all the smoke, and soot that was taken into a marginal filter when the other engine exhaust elbow failed.
very well could be.....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #22

Just check the other air fliter this morning, which I knew was good 4 eingine hours before the debacle. It was covered with black soot as well. Change that too.

Interesting, the only way you can get them out because they fit under the deck with very little clearance is to remove the butterfly nut on top, lift up the housing off the engine, reach in with long pliers and back out the main stem that screws down into the engine block, being careful not to let it fall down into the intake manifold housing, than slide the whole filter sysem out. I wonder if they make an aftermarket k and n type filter adapteer that would work?

Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #23
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Here's my two cents...I wouldn't run an old Cat 3208na at 2400 rpm for any length of time. Just asking for trouble in the short term and premature failure in the long run.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #24

G---Is your observation based on the fact is is an old engine or the fact it is a Cat 3208, or both? It is NA and I believe that engine was built to run continuously at a lower RPM in industrial use at 2400 rpm or so. I have to make sure the props are not too much for it and I have good water circulation, but we will run it at 2400 rpm going and coming from the fishing areas and I'll find out if it was a mistake later on. Your concern, however, is noted.

As a followup to the riser issue--boat mech., suggested I get a new one. He could boil out the old one but felt it might just open up another can of worms, or a the very least, increase the risk for major engine damage later on. I have ordered a riser and am considering ordering two more for the other engine since they didn't look much better than the one I am replacing.

Thanks for you comments.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Here's my two cents...I wouldn't run an old Cat 3208na at 2400 rpm for any length of time. Just asking for trouble in the short term and premature failure in the long run.

no way 2400 is a problem....400 below max rpm (at least that's what I think it is based on a quick search) on a na diesel is loafing along anyway...careful maintenance is a much bigger deal.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #26
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
no way 2400 is a problem....400 below max rpm (at least that's what I think it is based on a quick search) on a na diesel is loafing along anyway...careful maintenance is a much bigger deal.
Got to agree with you on that one. I was under the impression that a diesel needs a load and 2400 is about right for a 3208n.a.

Sd
Old 06-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #27
Guru

Fighterpilot, I'll concede that 2,400 rpm is well within the range of the 3208na. I see that many are run at that rpm. My boat, when full of water, fuel, and gear, weighs about 45,000 pounds. When I pass 2,000 I'm just digging a bigger hole, so I keep the rpm down to 1,650 to 1,800 for day-long cruising. My two cents is all you paid for..!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 06-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #28

G--appreciate your two cents--understand your thinking. This is the 4th boat in 7 years and think we may have figured out what we want. We looked at boats and sea trialed boats from Galveston, Tx, to Indiantown, Fl. over a 9 month period. Main needs were children friendly, sleep 6, flybridge, and cruise at 15knots, loaded. Only considered those power by the Cat 3208 or the Cummins 6 cyl. and the big one--$40,000 budget.

Based on literature the present boat should meet the requirements, and has, thus far. We knew this boat was mechanically a project boat but we got it bought for 1/2 our budget which lets us make the necessary improvements. It sometimes is argued that one should spend more and get a boat that isn't a project boat, but by and large a prestine boat is hard to find. I'm sure this forum has many such boats, but not many for sale and many on the West Coast. Cost to get the boat to the panhandle of Florida was also a factor. Found this boat just 40 miles from out dock.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. Appreciate all the two cents worth since they add up and help me out. FP
Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #29
Guru

Years ago when we were looking for a GB42 and found one with Cat 3208s, I kept my fingers crossed that the hull and engine surveys would be favorable because I really wanted those 3208s. The surveys showed that the POs took good care of her. Since then, my Cats have run flawlessly. I'd sell the boat tomorrow if I could keep the engines! Not really, I like the boat too.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 08-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #30
Guru

City: Pensacola
Fighterpilot, You get your boat running to haul her out? You at Pelicans Perch?
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #31

City: Wilmington, N.C.
Vessel Name: Donnchaidh
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40' sedan
No fresh air, an engine will not run on exhaust fumes. The leaking exhaust reduced the amount of fresh air in the engine room.
awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #32
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
RickB can figure that out. Can't you Rick?

In this particular case, I am forced to agree with Marin. It sounds too complicated to have a hint from the forum people...sorry!
Portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by awpptdt View Post
No fresh air, an engine will not run on exhaust fumes. The leaking exhaust reduced the amount of fresh air in the engine room.
Yep, restricted air flow will cause smoking. I will qualify that by saying I know nothing about MTUs. So, if that is the brand engine, disregard what I said.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #34

Blue Heron--We took it to PP not knowing if it would be on one engine or two. Cranked them up yesterday afternoon and headed west. Ran 2400 RPM on both all the way. Used laser tack to check to see if port was slipping. It wasn't. Monitored temp of tx on both engines at different locations for comparison purposes. Engines ran 170 degrees, the questionable tx was about 6-8 degrees warmer than the starboard tx but both held constant for the hour and a half trip. Got to the dock and no reverse on the questionable tx. Dale, driving from the upper helm said shifter felt funny, try the lower helm. It worked fine, so believe part of the problems is in the shifter linkage from the upper helm. We blocked in the row closest to the office building and next to last in that line, so pretty well protected from seaward wind. Will take a look at the oil in the questionable tx to see if burned or not. If burned believe we have a tx. problem as well as shifter.

Hauled the pontoon this afternoon and will take Dale's shrimpboat up river tomorrow and anchor it.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #35
FF
Guru

"and than for 3 hours on the next trip out at 2400rpm with no problems."

How many RPM do you get at full throttle underway?

Water getting into the cylinder usually shows as huge white steam/smoke .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #36
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
RickB can figure that out. Can't you Rick?
Thanks for the vote of confidence but since I wasn't there I can only guess ... but, my guess is that the decades old rubber elbow finally failed and the cloud of exhaust and water vapor fouled the air filters and created the smokey horror show.

If you are going to use rubber elbows, use high temperature rated silicone so that an otherwise minor raw water issue won't turn into a serious problem before you can deal with it.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #37
Guru

City: Pensacola
FP,

glad you got her hauled out. We hauled out Saturday at Bahia Mar. Good luck!
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #38
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
p

Good luck to you guys in the storm's path----especially those without named storm coverage. Winds around Moonstruck got up to 45 mph with maybe a gust up to 50. Everything is OK with her. Should start polishing the hull tomorrow.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #39
Guru

Re the transmission issue.
on the twin Disc 506. The shift is a small stud that sticks up off the tran housing it is sort of a clamp. I had an issue with the tranny slipping. It was that clamp not tight enough. I had someone run the shifter through the gears and made sure it was tight and in the proper position. Fixed.

Is your tranny a Twin Disc?

Sd
Old 08-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpilot View Post
Just check the other air fliter this morning, which I knew was good 4 eingine hours before the debacle. It was covered with black soot as well. Change that too.

Interesting, the only way you can get them out because they fit under the deck with very little clearance is to remove the butterfly nut on top, lift up the housing off the engine, reach in with long pliers and back out the main stem that screws down into the engine block, being careful not to let it fall down into the intake manifold housing, than slide the whole filter sysem out. I wonder if they make an aftermarket k and n type filter adapteer that would work?

Have you found the exhaust leak?

It will cause the filter to collaps.

SD