Old 05-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #41
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
A return line helps bleed off air that gets in the system, from leaks or even a low fuel level/sloshing ingestion. Racors are very prone to minor, almost invisible air leaks (I hate them) that usually dont cause a problem, if you have a return line. No return line lets the air build up at the first high point, usually the engine filter. Then you "run outa gas".

kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #42
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Yeah, by routing the return line correctly you've made the 135 self bleeding as I mentioned before.

But that doesn't mean you don't still have the air leak.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #43
Veteran Member

City: San diego
Vessel Name: COWBUOY
Vessel Model: 1974 chb
Yeah still sucking air at some point. If this allows for me to run and not die sporadically, I'll forget I had an air leak and be fine with that.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:56 PM   #44
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Racors are still a POS. The worst leak to find is the drain plug on the bottom. Sometimes the o'ring goes bad (barely) and lets a little air in. But even tougher to find is when the plastic bowl leaks around the drain threads, just a small bubble every few minutes. But, in a case like yours (and countless others) it puts in air that doesnt get moved thru, just collects in a high spot. Will eventually shut you down, not good. Did I mention that I hate Racor filters. Get a Davco 382.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Laidley
Hi Wilson,

Flounder or Sole here in Moreton Bay Queensland, one of my fav fish to eat.

Regards,

David.
Manly Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:45 AM   #46
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
A small air leak can allow pocket of air to collect as mentioned. Under the right conditions, usually rough, that accumulation could move and the accumulation could be large enough to cause a shutdown.
Do not ignore it assuming because it is small that it cannot cause trouble .
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:27 AM   #47
Veteran Member

I do understand I most def have a problem sucking air. I can fix that problem in less than 2 minutes, including pulling the hatch and getting there. We will see if the return line is a fix or not, I will let you all, or ya'll know once I know. Going fishing in the morning for 7 or so hours so we'll see. Like to put 30 hours on it before I start talking about a victory, and maybe it will just move the problem to that sort of time frame, I don't know yet... I will update the thread when/if I have further problems, and if I don't as well. I do appreciate all the feedback, and hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future as well. I find that searching the archives is sometimes fruitless so I try and make my header as accurate as possible, as the engine kicks out so many commonly used terms. probably kick my entire thread out unless you searched it word for word.....................ramblin over
Old 05-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #48
Veteran Member

So I got about 15 hours before the same problem, air in the fuel filters. Since the fuel filters are the high point I'm guessing that I need to run a bleed, or return line off that housing as well. That or run an actual fuel pump around the lift pump to see if that is where the air is getting in. I just replaced the lift pump though, doesn't mean its not the problem, but it is brand new. I don't really see how the racor could be sucking air into the line, but I can see how it would happen, just can't be looking in there while we are running, fuel line was well above the outlet line on the racor when I checked. So that has me thinking it is a faulty lift pump. Anyway, I'll decide what to do later this week and keep this thread posted when i know more.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #49
Guru

First thing I would do is double check that the gasket on the lid of the Racors is not rolled and on an edge.

If that is not it, close the fuel valve at the tank, disconnect the fuel line at the engine mounted filters, drain the fuel out of it and any inline filters, then pressurize the line and everthing along it with a few pounds of air and start looking/listening for leaks.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #50
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Is there a way to insert a clear line in the fuel line from the tank?

I think if that were possible, it would be nice to see if you're picking up air before or after the pump, filter, or injector pump.

It seems logical that if you had a significant restriction from the tank, then the lift pump would be encouraged to pull air through a weak connection.

Do you have good flow at the lift pump?

Is the lift pump above the tank fuel level?

Is the order of devices: Tank -> lift pump -> racor filter -> injector pump

It is possible that there is sludge or some type of stoppage in the tank that is causing a restriction in flow. If you pull a vacuum on that, any weak point in the line will leak air into the system.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #51
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I would shoot a bit of air into the tank (with vents open) so as to remove a blockage if one exists in the in-tank piping.

Use a bucket and see that you get good flow from the bottom of the tank.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #52
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
So I got about 15 hours before the same problem, air in the fuel filters. Since the fuel filters are the high point I'm guessing that I need to run a bleed, or return line off that housing as well. That or run an actual fuel pump around the lift pump to see if that is where the air is getting in. I just replaced the lift pump though, doesn't mean its not the problem, but it is brand new. I don't really see how the racor could be sucking air into the line, but I can see how it would happen, just can't be looking in there while we are running, fuel line was well above the outlet line on the racor when I checked. So that has me thinking it is a faulty lift pump. Anyway, I'll decide what to do later this week and keep this thread posted when i know more.
You've had lots of good advice so far. An air leak like this can be a real pain to track down. You can't put a return line from the racor to the tank. With the engine running, a Racor will have a partial vacuum in it. So any type of leak in any part of the Racor will cause air to be drawn in. That air will collect at the top of the Racor until its enough to shut you down.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #53
Guru

But you can put a self bleeder on the highest engine mounted filter. But you'd be better off finding the air leak and fixing it correctly.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Well I guess I fixed it, have run about 150 hours with no further problems. The fuel tank shut off valve fittings were loose... Anyway thanks for all the help
Old 07-29-2015, 05:31 PM   #55
Guru

Good deal. And simple too.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:26 AM   #56

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
The simplest things always seem to bite you in the ass!
Dope up those threads with Rector Seal #5 from Lowes. (this is not a butt joke)
Racors can be hard to reseal after a rebuild, IMO crappy filters that somehow got a great reputation.
Visit Seaboard Marine website, sbmar.com, and check out their dual stage filtration systems. I swear by them, almost as much as I used to swear at Racors

kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote