Old 05-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #21

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
I agree with RT Firefly and Larry M...it's always been plumbed that way....so, that's the way it needs to be. Therefore, you have an air leak somewhere. Perhaps pinhole or deteriorating lines, bad O-ring or something..If you have a sight glass on your racor, do you see ANY bubbles while engine is running? If so, it's sucking air somewhere. I certainly wouldn't replumb it...Just my .02

wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #22
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Have you swapped out the filter?

In a previous life, I worked on diesel farm equipment and the most likely cause of stalling like you describe was because the fuel couldn't get through the filter. Screw on a new filter and it works fine. It would idle but when you rev it up, would rev up for a few seconds and then choke. That was 40 years ago, so some things may have changed

Stu

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #23

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
I know of Racor filters that suck air. Tried new gaskets on the filters that did not fix the problem. Only fix was to throw the entire unit away.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #24
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
If you swap a filter, you can always switch it back if nothing changes.

Fuelfixers has a T handle with a vacuum gauge in it that will show if the pump is sucking air or a clogged filter. That way, you have the option to change them when they need it, not after nn hours of operation. If you feed it clean fuel, it will last a long time, dirty fuel, an hour or two...
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I have a Lehman 120, so no return from the injection pump...but do have the same return from the injectors.

My return is plumbed to the fuel manifold...not the tanks so if I get air...I may have the same issue.

For the last 5000 miles no issues so far.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #26
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
There are engines out there that have no return from injection pump to tank. Many GM Yanmars. Many Kubotas with the little bleed valve, no return if bleed valve is left closed. Apparently some Ford/Lehmans too.

All of these will run fine.

Until they get a hint of air. Then no where for it to go.

I have refit a bunch of Yanmar GM's with a bleed kit I designed. Sailboat gets in some snot and tank is low- engine poops. Un-fun. The kit fixed that.

Even if it works fine, you really should have a bleed off back to the tank from the top of the filters or top of pump, or somewhere. The injector bleed rail is not going to dispose of air.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville, NC
Vessel Name: Tra Sea Time
Vessel Model: 1989 Marine Trader 38 DC
The 135's had a problem with the fuel lift pumps leaking. A new pump was recommended. Contact American Diesel for full details. Could be pulling air at your lift pump.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #28
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
FYI, The return line coming off the the injection pump makes the 135 pretty much self bleeding. On 120s we just installed a self bleeding kit on the highest of the two engine mounted filters and that makes them self bleeding for the most part as well.

Sounds like you may have a leak at the lift pump to me.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:43 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: San diego
Vessel Name: COWBUOY
Vessel Model: 1974 chb
Well I'll look into collapsing fuel lines and such. Adding the return line to the fuel tank is so easy I'm going to give that a try. Not very hard to un-do either.
All the filters have been replaced, fuel tanks are all brand new so no junk in them. Engine was replaced in 96, but I've only had the boat a year, and I've only just been in the water a couple months. I was on the hard for 11 months replacing the soft decks (flying bridge, aft cabin deck, entire walk around), and well, fixing pretty much everything..........Nice to be floating again. If the return line does not fix it then a new racor goes in. If that don't fix it, I wire in a fuel pump and go around the brand new lift pump. By then I ought to have other problems to take my mind off this one ha.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150330_120817_resized.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	40185
Old 05-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #30
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Sounds like you are well along into building the boat of your dreams. Nice looking ship!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 05-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #31
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
All that work and you have the wrong anchor!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #32
Veteran Member

AAAAnnnnnd there it is, I knew someone would dislike my rusty anchor and/or its type, its the only thing on the boat I haven't painted, didn't see the point. Honestly I haven't used it yet, so don't know anything about it other than that its heavy. Got a spare danforth, is that the right one? (From my experience in these waters its not, but its a spare so...)
Old 05-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #33
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. O....

Old 05-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Not even close to the ship of my dreams, who can afford that? But I'll be taking good care of it till That ship comes along, my first boat. I put a lot of work into her and I'm a happy captain.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
AAAAnnnnnd there it is, I knew someone would dislike my rusty anchor and/or its type, its the only thing on the boat I haven't painted, didn't see the point. Honestly I haven't used it yet, so don't know anything about it other than that its heavy. Got a spare danforth, is that the right one? (From my experience in these waters its not, but its a spare so...)

Just messin' with you! She looks great!! After all that work the anchor would be the last thing I would be worried about. Time to take a break for a ride, relax and enjoy!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 05-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I dig it Oliver, thanks. I just knew when I saw the anchor in that pic that someone would mention it haha. Don't worry, I'll lose it on the bottom in a couple months..... Lost a danforth on a similar boat I decked on in the kind of conditions I would anchor in.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:47 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
I dig it Oliver, thanks. I just knew when I saw the anchor in that pic that someone would mention it haha. Don't worry, I'll lose it on the bottom in a couple months..... Lost a danforth on a similar boat I decked on in the kind of conditions I would anchor in.

Everything happens for a reason!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 05-15-2015, 11:31 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Well I would have plumbed that return line in today but I have a 6 hour charter tomorrow morning. Didn't want to change things when I know it will run 6 hours no problem. So I'll plumb that in after the trip tomorrow and maybe make a longer run sunday to see how things go. I'll let the group know. Thanks again for everyone's input, I really appreciate the feedback. Sometimes if you talk to your self about a problem long enough the problem becomes apparent, its probably you....
Old 05-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #39

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
New fuel tanks may have debris from drilling the holes for fittings. I have seen this before and the long curly metal debris will lodge in the fuel lines and not make it to the filters. The engine will run like it is sucking air.

Another way to check for air in fuel lines is to temporarily replace the lines from filter to engine with clear plastic lines and using good light look for air in the lines as you run the engine at various rpm.

Good luck on this issue and please let us know what you find.

Ken
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Well I plumbed the return line in yesterday morning and then took a couple friends out halibut fishing to see how it ran. Was out for about 7 hours and it ran just fine. Gonna try and put 20 hours on this week to see if that fixed my issue or not. Caught a few halibut too. Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I'll update this post with how we ran this week later.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_160350_resized_1 (1).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	40285