Old 06-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Air filters

Thanks to the great advice on this forum, I've received great guidance for most of the general maintenance items for my engines.* Fuel filters, oil, etc.* I've got most of this figured out but the one thing I haven't checked are the air filters.* How often do the air filters need tobe checked, and what is a normal maintenance interval?* I don't see replacement filters on any spare parts list.* Do they get replaced or cleaned?* Any info is appreciated.* My engines are Perkins 6.354.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
RE: Air filters

My Dr. Perky doesn't have an air filter. People I talked to say it's not really needed, but if you have one, it would cut down on running noise. HOWEVER, a diesel gulps a ton of air and, from what I was told, an auto filter won't pass enough air fast enough. So since it didn't come from the factory with one... I just left it with the little plastic cover and screen. I do wipe it out now and then because the preheat circuit leaves a little puddle of fuel goo right there in the intake tube.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Guru

Well from the stink that comes out of the back of the Perkins, you'd think that an air filter would help...* Mine have giant air filters and I'd think that when they get clogged it would reduce horsepower etc. I don't think they are clogged at this point, but just a bit dusty -- I need to remove the filters from the housing to find that out.

I am surprised that the know-it-alls (just joking) on this board cannot lend any more knowledge.* There are enough engineers, pilots and builders here that I thought an answer would be forthcoming within hours.

Maybe I should have made the subject header "Single vs. Twin"* :-)

Old 06-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan

Hi Woody

I also have a Perkins 6.3544m that had no air filter when I got it. People said not to worry that the engine room is clean. When I was at store I us for engine/fuel fitting I asked them about it. They told me I could put on on with no problems, I use an the same one as shown at this link,*https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/W...083&item=14031*. Mounted it remotely about 1.5 feet away, that was 10 years ago. Blow it out and have never seen anything. Maybe I buy a new one soon.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Guru

I guess since my 2-stroke Evinrude never needed an air filter that no other marine engine needs one either.* I think a visual inspection is in order.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

Your choice on whether to install an air filter is no different than the discussion in the 1920s on oil filters. Diesel 101, as evidenced by Cat 70 year old*literature,*is yes to both issues. Clean air, clean HXs*and clean fuel*has been*the mantra for boat diesel longevity for the past 50 years. The* crud I pick up off my Perkins Sabre air filters is surprising, especially last summer in the PNW during fire season.

And where does all the junk on my household furnace filters come from? Yup, presumably clean air.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:
..... Clean air, clean HXs*and clean fuel*has been*the mantra for boat diesel longevity for the past 50 years.
*Do the above and you will have fewer problems with your engine. I can't imagine running without an air filter.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

4000 plus hours on our 6.3544's with no air filters and they run as good as the day they were new, and they don't use any oil between changes either.* Dirty air can wear out the valve guides, in turn leading to oil consumption and smoking. For us, so far, so good. If your concerned about service intervals, you can purchase a tell-tale vacuum gauge that is installed in the hose between the filter and the intake.* When the vacuum in the hose reaches a pre-determined level, (normally under load when air flow is higher) the indicator goes from green to yellow to red, and stays that way until you re-set it. A clogged filter will cause a decrease in power, and increased smoking. * Far less expensive, and easier too might simply be to clean the filter if you are in doubt.* Take a close look to see if there is noticeable debris in the pleats of the material, and if so, try blowing it out from the inside of the filter with a gentle stream of compressed air.* Depending on the filter type, you may need to wash in soapy water and re oil.* All in all, either way, it's no big deal...................Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:
And where does all the junk on my household furnace filters come from? Yup, presumably clean air.
Since most of the air is re-circulated in the house, perhaps it's also textile fibres from carpeting, clothing, bedding, pet dander, kitchen smoke etc.* I would think an engine room would be far cleaner, since it draws in outside air.* Perhaps though you live in a dusty urban environment too.* Our land based furnace has an electrostatic filter that picks up plenty of airborne debris that I woud never expect to see on the water.......................Arctic Traveller
Old 06-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Guru

Traveller...* Re-oil?** Please explain.* I can take*the existing filters and dust them off but I don't know anything about oil.

I have cars and we just buy new filters, but evidently when you have a Perkins you can clean and re-use the filter.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Egregious wrote:
Traveller...* Re-oil?** Please explain.* I can take*the existing filters and dust them off but I don't know anything about oil.

I have cars and we just buy new filters, but evidently when you have a Perkins you can clean and re-use the filter.
*It all depends on the type of filter you have.* Some are one time use, although you can still blow out loose debris to extend their life.* Others such as the Airsep's are designed to be washed and re-used.* Those types often times have a fine metal screen holding the filter media in place.* There are cleaning kits designed for those filters that include a spray can of oil to apply once the filter is clean and dry.* If your filter looks more like an automotive type dry filter, they don't need oil and are not designed to be washed, although you can certainly blow them out.............Arctic Traveller
Old 06-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Huh?? *No filters on mine.. . . . Didn't know that filters for a mairne perkins existed. . . . never seen a 6-354M with anything but a metal intake cap with metal mesh screen. *Maybe they were installed by the owner as an aftermarket or borrowed from a perkins industrial engine? *I have seen them on forklifts and construction equipment, but not in a marine application.

Like the other writers said, diesels gulp a lot of air, so I would make darn sure they are not restricting the air flow.
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
Guru

Air filters

Checked 'em again.* My Perkins 6.354s have big fat air filters on them.* They look kinda dirty and I plan on dustng them off next week.* Maybe the airfilters are the reason my motors have been running 5000 hours with no problems.*

-- Edited by Egregious on Thursday 30th of June 2011 10:40:49 PM
Old 07-01-2011, 06:09 AM   #14
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

No... It's because it's a Perkins! :-D
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #15
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

Egregious - glad to see you located your air filter(s). The next question is are they foam enmeshed in a wire basket or a paper element? Some have tried cleaning very old foam filters only to have them break apart and get ingested*into engine. New elements may be called for after 20 years. Also some Perkins have an ABS connector between the air filter and manifold/turbo. Replace this*piece too because it*can cause real damage to your engine when it finally breaks up.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote