Old 07-31-2014, 11:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: Astral Blue
Vessel Model: Bayliner Victoria 2750 Command Bridge
I have a Perkins 4.108 with a similar mesh air filter. I had the same concerns. I not only asked several Perkins dealers (Trans Atlantaic Diesel, British Marine, and S&W Diesel) and was told the mesh is sufficient for marine environments; and these engines are rather bullet proof in that dust or small airborne particles won't damage the engine. My mechanic has worked on many of these engines for decades and has never come across a situation where the engine was damaged from something that entered through the mesh. Just make sure the mesh is secure, and you're engine will be happy.

Foley Engines (in MA) offers an aftermarket air filter kit for several older Perkins engines. I personally see no need for it. If air filtration inadequacies were in issue with these engines, it's safe to assume we would be flooded with aftermarket products.

1977 Bayliner Victoria Astral Blue Repowered with Perkins 4.108 Diesel
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:13 AM   #22
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
You know, I wonder if when an aftermarket air filter starts to fill with particulates and the air flow restriction increases, if there is a chance that it could suck the filter element into the motor? It would have to be a pretty cheap-o filter, I guess. Yes, far-fetched and hypothetical for sure (it would have to get pretty bad... I am just speculating), but I have seen a runaway diesel (in a truck shop... not on a boat) and it could probably swallow a phonebook thru the intake if you let it ;-)
Old 08-01-2014, 06:26 AM   #23
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
You know, I wonder if when an aftermarket air filter starts to fill with particulates and the air flow restriction increases, if there is a chance that it could suck the filter element into the motor? It would have to be a pretty cheap-o filter, I guess. Yes, far-fetched and hypothetical for sure (it would have to get pretty bad... I am just speculating), )
I'm sure it would if you let it get mostly plugged. I change mine (the shopvac filter) every 3 years and find quite a bit of sand and stuff in it.
No, sand is not good for any engine and a Perkins is no different.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #24
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I put K&N filters on my Hinos, because years ago I was sent to a IH class on their diesel engines. Part of the class was about filters and their maintenance, the one thing I remember the instructor told us was "a 1/4 inch hole in a air filter would allow enough dirt into the cylinders to ruin a engine in 8 hours". This was a class geared to excavating equipment and we know how dusty and dirty that environment is. On your oil samples if the chrome is high that is wear from the piston rings, the advice from the sampling company (Caterpillar in my case) is to check the air intake plumbing connections and filters. I consider clean air just as important as clean fuel, just because you can't see the dust doesn't mean it won't do damage over time.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #25
Guru

No, never a problem with the shopvac filter and yes they do have a hardware cloth reinforcement inside them. Mine is a turbo so maybe flows twice the air of a NA.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #26

City: Erie PA
Vessel Name: Endless Endeavor
Vessel Model: Custom
KN air filter has a huge selection of misc air filter I just went online with my measurement and order one. It was easy and painless I have used it for 10 yrs now.
funangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #27

City: Erie PA
Vessel Name: Endless Endeavor
Vessel Model: Custom
Air filter Perkins t6.354

Quote:
Originally Posted by funangler View Post
KN air filter has a huge selection of misc air filter I just went online with my measurement and order one. It was easy and painless I have used it for 10 yrs now.

Is the air walker system worth it? Sorry for shifting the subject slightly just curious.
funangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by funangler View Post
Is the air walker system worth it? Sorry for shifting the subject slightly just curious.
With an old engine or one that is pushed hard, yes (lots of blowby) but just ending your breather near the filter should be fine for the rest of us. The K&N's are suppost to be oiled anyway.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #29
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Something like this is my plan.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #30
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahevala View Post
A little concerned about the "air filter" on my Perkins t6.354 engine. The filter is actually just a mesh screen that keeps the "nuts and bolts" out as quoted by the engine surveyor at time of purchase. TF!
Most marine 6.354M's and 6.354T's came from Perkins with just a screen guard and crankcase ventilation nipple. That's all mine had for the first 2,000 hours. I later added paper filters out of concern for the large amount of dust that was blowing onto the boat at my marina, which must surely be getting sucked into the engines. The filters don't seem to collect much dirt, I clean and inspect them annually and I've only changed them twice in 15 years, mainly because they get stained from the oil vapor return line.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Something like this is my plan.
Totally unnecessary unless you are boating in a sand & gravel pit IMO
Old 08-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #32
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
What I've read on off road sites; K&N filters are just a step above chicken wire for filtering efficiency. As mentioned we have what appear to be shop vac foam filters on our Lehmans. If ever faced with dusty conditions I would probably opt for aftermarket paper filters as some of you have.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
Totally unnecessary unless you are boating in a sand & gravel pit IMO
Inland lakes for now,and will be in some areas that are prone to dusty conditions.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #34
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Inland lakes for now,and will be in some areas that are prone to dusty conditions.

And rivers are subject to dirty air from farming and yes the sand & gravel pits. I imagine near shore conditions are reasonable similar.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
What I've read on off road sites; K&N filters are just a step above chicken wire for filtering efficiency. As mentioned we have what appear to be shop vac foam filters on our Lehmans. If ever faced with dusty conditions I would probably opt for aftermarket paper filters as some of you have.
I read a similar test which concluded they were crap on many levels compared to pleated paper filters. Restrictive, low capacity, & poor filteration.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
This is what I put on mine
So do I keep it or get rid of it?
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
And rivers are subject to dirty air from farming and yes the sand & gravel pits. I imagine near shore conditions are reasonable similar.

I hadn't thought about those,but yep.They can produce some dust clouds thick enough to choke a horse.