Additive for Diesel Fuel to Prevent Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
I guess the dreaded "old age memory loss" is finally taking place, because I cannot remember for the life of me the name of the stuff that you add to diesel fuel to keep algae from forming. I can visualize it it my mind, with two caps on top, but cannot remember the name. "Bio . . ." something?

Help! :)

John

And just as a matter of trivia, the 16 oz bottle from Defender is $19.99 plus shipping. From amazon, it was $18.99. Free shipping on the latter, but that was only because I am a "prime" member at amazon. Dollar here, dollar there . . . they add up. :)

John

I cannot remember for the life of me the name of the stuff that you add to diesel fuel to keep algae from forming.

Darkness ... algae cannot grow without light.

Darkness ... algae cannot grow without light.

Yeah, guess technically it is not algae. It is bacteria. At any rate, the Biobor JF is what I was trying to think of.

Yeah, guess technically it is not algae. It is bacteria. At any rate, the Biobor JF is what I was trying to think of.

Just digging at the Algae-X promoters ... and by the way, there are quite a few biocides on the market. Read the labels and alternate brands or types in order to prevent selectively breeding super bugs.

It is not something you have to use all the time either.

What about star tron?

Just digging at the Algae-X promoters ... and by the way, there are quite a few biocides on the market. Read the labels and alternate brands or types in order to prevent selectively breeding super bugs.

It is not something you have to use all the time either.

That's why I won't use any brand of biocide and just follow the Golden Coral rule in regards to fuel: Take all you want, but please eat all you take. :thumb::dance:

Tom-

That's why I won't use any brand of biocide and just follow the Golden Coral rule in regards to fuel: Take all you want, but please eat all you take. :thumb::dance:

Tom-

Although I run a gasser the same sentiment applies. :thumb:

Visiting the fuel dock each trip or two is alright with me, seems a small price to pay for fresh go go juice. IMO boats our size have an overabundance of tank capacity considering the average usage of those not actively cruising. I think it was psneeld who recently posted about replacing his tanks with smaller ones, very smart move IMO. He still managed to log more miles in his Albin last season than the average forum member with bigger tanks.

Although I run a gasser the same sentiment applies.
Despite my pro diesel commitment, is gas less susceptible to nasties growing in the tank? If so, that could go on the + side of the "gas vs diesel" comparison. Anyone know?

I would trade half my fuel capacity for more engine room storage. Still, something to be said about 800-1000 mile range in a little coastal cruiser. Come to think of it, maybe I would just trade a third instead. :D

Despite my pro diesel commitment, is gas less susceptible to nasties growing in the tank? If so, that could go on the + side of the "gas vs diesel" comparison. Anyone know?

Frankly Bruce I don't let it sit around long enough to find out or worry about the subject. I do know that like diesel there is whole lot more folklore about the problem than fact. And just as many so called solutions.

At this point in my life long range is about the least important feature a boat could have.

I would trade half my fuel capacity for more engine room storage. Still, something to be said about 800-1000 mile range in a little coastal cruiser. Come to think of it, maybe I would just trade a third instead. :D

I'll let you know how going from 400 gallons to 116 goes on this winter's trip to Florida.

I'm already loving getting everything but the start batt off the walkways around the engine....:D

Although I run a gasser the same sentiment applies. :thumb:

Visiting the fuel dock each trip or two is alright with me, seems a small price to pay for fresh go go juice. IMO boats our size have an overabundance of tank capacity considering the average usage of those not actively cruising. I think it was psneeld who recently posted about replacing his tanks with smaller ones, very smart move IMO. He still managed to log more miles in his Albin last season than the average forum member with bigger tanks.

When I repowered, I switched from a 96 gallon aluminum tank to a 40 gallon poly tank. Despite the fact that the extra weight from large tankage would have helped with the center of gravity and would have given extra weight to the stern (which I desperately need), I felt the advantages of a small tank are two-fold.

First, the tank is easy to remove, clean, and reinstall. It can be done without removing the engine (which wasn't the case with my previous tank).

Second, contamination is prone to affect only a small amount of fuel. The time and effort associated with pumping out, filtering, and treating 96 gallons (assuming contamination hit a full tank) versus 40 gallons is in itself half the labor.

If I need additional capacity, I can always install a second tank. There is plenty of room to do so; and serviceability is definitely an advantage.

Just my two cents...

Copy from another forum:

"When it comes to fuel additives the watch phrase is buyer beware. Because it's virtually impossible to quantify results, or potential to cause damage, the user must be cautious. Additive manufacturers that make lofty claims regarding lubrication, efficiency, fuel economy, smoke reduction, dilution rate etc should be carefully scrutinized before they are used. Stanadyne Is a trustworthy manufacturer, they make fuel injection systems, so you know they aren't going to sell you anything that's harmful and their claims are both modest and accurate.
Finally, I'm skeptical of any additive manufacturer that mentions algae mitigation in their advertising or literature. Algae, being a plant, needs sunlight to carry out photosynthesis. Every time I've stuck my head into a diesel tank I've been met with nothing but stygian darkness. Most biological contamination in diesel fuel is bacteria rather than algae-based.
I wrote a series of columns on fuel additives for PassageMaker last year. I'll post these in the Dreamers' documents folder.
Steve D'Antonio """"

Back
Top Bottom