Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > Power Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
additional sensor locations on 1996 cummins 4BT 150 hp engine - temp and oil pressure

So I want to add additional temperature and oil pressure sensors to my 1996 4BT 150hp engines on my boat. These will be in addition to the factory sensors which work; these additional sensors will be normally open sensors that I´ll wire to some Aqualarm panels/audible alarms. The main purpose of these additional alarms is to set off a loud audible alarm if the engine coolant temperature exceeds 200 degrees, or if the engine oil pressure gets too low.

About the low oil pressure sensor location -- pic below shows a good location I think, credit properly belongs to Tony Athens, who posted a nice pic of that location (just above the oil filter) on the Seaboard Marine website for the Cummins B series engines. Thank you Tony!

About the yet to be installed normally open 200 degree coolant temperature sensor location -- some questions here. Does the straight red arrow in my pic below show a good location in the coolant tank? Looks like an existing male threaded plug can be taken out, and a threaded coolant temperature sensor (maybe 3/8 npt?) inserted? And if so, where can I buy such a 3/8NPT male threaded 200 degree normally open sensor?

As an alternative, I know I can put a flat rectangular 200 degree normally open metal sensor under a bolt on the head or somewhere else on the engine. Most locations near the top pretty much the same if I have to go that way?

Looked for an existing thread on this topic. If I missed a good one that answers my questions, please point me to that thread. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2644.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	60526   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2648.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	60527  

hodaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
This is also on the Seaboard Marine website where Tony discusses Redundant Alarms. Here is where the alarm sensor is located on a 6BTA. I think it is preferable to locate the sensor in circulating coolant as opposed to a header tank. The adapter and sensor are both available from Seaboard.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
Redundant Alarms - The Least Expensive Engine Insurance - Seaboard Marine

Best to go to the horses mouth.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Oxnard, Calif
Vessel Name: Local Bam=nks
Vessel Model: Custom 36Ft Wilson Sportfisher
Larry,

Just an FYI--Header tank temps are very close to the highest temps in a properly operating engine with Cummins mid-range marine engines as discussed here, plus engine coolant circulation is quite high there AFTER the thermostat is open.. The lingo used is "top tank temp" in the industrial/automotive field when reading about coolant temps and circulation..........But with that said, it will not rise as fast as in the exhaust manifold, turbo, head, and just below the thermostat should something go amiss. So yes, not the best place to add a redundant alarm..

Tony

"For All things Cummins That Make Sense & Cents"
Tony Athens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Guru

To check confirm temps, I shoot the sender (Lehmans) with the IR gun. Is there a better spot to use?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #6
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Athens View Post
Larry,

Just an FYI--Header tank temps are very close to the highest temps in a properly operating engine with Cummins mid-range marine engines as discussed here, plus engine coolant circulation is quite high there AFTER the thermostat is open.. The lingo used is "top tank temp" in the industrial/automotive field when reading about coolant temps and circulation..........But with that said, it will not rise as fast as in the exhaust manifold, turbo, head, and just below the thermostat should something go amiss. So yes, not the best place to add a redundant alarm..

Tony
Thank you Tony!

The more I know about my "Little White Monsters" the better I feel.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:22 AM   #7
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
To check confirm temps, I shoot the sender (Lehmans) with the IR gun. Is there a better spot to use?
There is no other place to confirm your gauges than at their sender. That's where the signal is generated, so shooting anywhere else would certainly be conflicting.
For troubleshooting, yes, you need to shoot a variety of locations, looking for hotspots or radical jumps.
I shoot my engine temps when I get bored on a long trip, have marked the spots I shoot with flat black spray paint, and always shoot them from the same distance. Also a good idea to log the results for future comparison.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Oxnard, Calif
Vessel Name: Local Bam=nks
Vessel Model: Custom 36Ft Wilson Sportfisher
A couple of links related to this may help:

IR Gun Temperature Check - Seaboard Marine

Redundant Alarms - The Least Expensive Engine Insurance - Seaboard Marine

Tony

"For All things Cummins That Make Sense & Cents"
Tony Athens is offline   Reply With Quote