additional sensor locations on 1996 cummins 4BT 150 hp engine - temp and oil pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hodaka

Vessel Make
American Tug 34
So I want to add additional temperature and oil pressure sensors to my 1996 4BT 150hp engines on my boat. These will be in addition to the factory sensors which work; these additional sensors will be normally open sensors that I´ll wire to some Aqualarm panels/audible alarms. The main purpose of these additional alarms is to set off a loud audible alarm if the engine coolant temperature exceeds 200 degrees, or if the engine oil pressure gets too low.

About the low oil pressure sensor location -- pic below shows a good location I think, credit properly belongs to Tony Athens, who posted a nice pic of that location (just above the oil filter) on the Seaboard Marine website for the Cummins B series engines. Thank you Tony!

About the yet to be installed normally open 200 degree coolant temperature sensor location -- some questions here. Does the straight red arrow in my pic below show a good location in the coolant tank? Looks like an existing male threaded plug can be taken out, and a threaded coolant temperature sensor (maybe 3/8 npt?) inserted? And if so, where can I buy such a 3/8NPT male threaded 200 degree normally open sensor?

As an alternative, I know I can put a flat rectangular 200 degree normally open metal sensor under a bolt on the head or somewhere else on the engine. Most locations near the top pretty much the same if I have to go that way?

Looked for an existing thread on this topic. If I missed a good one that answers my questions, please point me to that thread. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2644.jpg
    IMG_2644.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2648.jpg
    IMG_2648.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 62
This is also on the Seaboard Marine website where Tony discusses Redundant Alarms. Here is where the alarm sensor is located on a 6BTA. I think it is preferable to locate the sensor in circulating coolant as opposed to a header tank. The adapter and sensor are both available from Seaboard.

Draining-Coolant_Page_14.jpg

Larry,

Just an FYI--Header tank temps are very close to the highest temps in a properly operating engine with Cummins mid-range marine engines as discussed here, plus engine coolant circulation is quite high there AFTER the thermostat is open.. The lingo used is "top tank temp" in the industrial/automotive field when reading about coolant temps and circulation..........But with that said, it will not rise as fast as in the exhaust manifold, turbo, head, and just below the thermostat should something go amiss. So yes, not the best place to add a redundant alarm..

Tony

To check confirm temps, I shoot the sender (Lehmans) with the IR gun. Is there a better spot to use?

Larry,

Just an FYI--Header tank temps are very close to the highest temps in a properly operating engine with Cummins mid-range marine engines as discussed here, plus engine coolant circulation is quite high there AFTER the thermostat is open.. The lingo used is "top tank temp" in the industrial/automotive field when reading about coolant temps and circulation..........But with that said, it will not rise as fast as in the exhaust manifold, turbo, head, and just below the thermostat should something go amiss. So yes, not the best place to add a redundant alarm..

Tony

Thank you Tony!

The more I know about my "Little White Monsters" the better I feel.:D

To check confirm temps, I shoot the sender (Lehmans) with the IR gun. Is there a better spot to use?

There is no other place to confirm your gauges than at their sender. That's where the signal is generated, so shooting anywhere else would certainly be conflicting.
For troubleshooting, yes, you need to shoot a variety of locations, looking for hotspots or radical jumps.
I shoot my engine temps when I get bored on a long trip, have marked the spots I shoot with flat black spray paint, and always shoot them from the same distance. Also a good idea to log the results for future comparison.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom