Old 10-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #21
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by boating2go View Post
After reading both of your posts, obtaining slip fee quotes, insurance quotes, and knowing maintenance will be costly I am trying to talk my wife out of the boat. She loves the boat but I do not love the costs involved! We shall see who wins.

FWIW, loving the boat could be much more important than fuel consumption. Often folks use most features in the whole boat, when aboard, but they don't necessarily move the boat (run engines, spend fuel) every day... or even every week...

-Chris

Old 10-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
750 hp 8v92 TIs will run forever at no load and 1000 rpm. They will smoke, stink and load up the whole time. bASICALLY OVER LUBRICATED. A 2-71 rated at 75 hp and at no or little load will do the same. A 8v92 750 hp TI ran at 350 hp runs clean. A 2-71 30 kw genset runs clean at half load. Go figure.
My 8v92 were 650hp and had none of those issues, maybe they forgot to read the memo. 1000 rpm: No smoking, clean transom! After a day or two running at hull speed or below, running up to 1800-2000 rpm they would smoke for about 30 seconds to a minute then clear up.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #23

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Demani
Vessel Model: Columbia C-45
I was contacted by the broker that the buyer is anxious to sell, I am thinking of making an extremely low ball offer. It will make a great live aboard and even at 10 gph will be affordably for the type of cruising we are able to do anymore due to health issues.

The boat is a full displacement trawler, which is nice. The broker stated he has taken the boat from San Diego to Ensenada and back again 4 times. At 1800 RPMs he average 10.1 knots going down and 9 knots coming back while consuming 10 GPH. At 1600 RPM he averaged 8 knots going down and a little under 7 knots coming north at approximately 7 GPH per hour. I trust him and believe he is telling the truth.

We are going to talk to the broker this weekend and will decide what to do next week.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:47 PM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The engines are the 465HP version, quite low on the power scale for an 8V92. I'd view that as a positive. You may want to consider two things:

Both engines are rebuilt, one quite recently. Use a good DD person to do an engine survey, If you need a person, contact boatdiesel for the right DD guy in the San Diego area.

The fly bridge "room" is and add on. That is a lot of weight to add up top. Get the plans for what was done and consider having an NA review them.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #25
FF
Guru

Older 6-71 will smoke white in the exhaust due to the H style injectors.

No problem and NO NO NO the newer N style can not be installed .(long story)

DD wanted 60% load as built ,to be efficient, below that the fuel burn was never great.

However the load was 60% of the operating RPM, nothing to do with the engine build rated peak HP.

Many 6-71 lasted tens of thousands of hours at 1200RPM as prime power gen sets , where the load could be controlled.

At 1800 RPM for pumps or emergency power , they would require an overhaul when the same amount of fuel went thru them as their 1200 RPM brothers.

The sport fish folks would get them hopped up ( J&T) and about 400hp could be obtained , but they went thru the fuel much quicker and 1000 hours of operation was considered Great!

A stock WWII and later 6-71 could produce 160 to 235 hp depending on the timing and injectors installed.

WE operate at 1200 , have white smoke (H injectors) and burn under 3GPH at 7K (SL 1) with no hassles , in 2000hrs.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boating2go View Post
I was contacted by the broker that the buyer is anxious to sell, I am thinking of making an extremely low ball offer. It will make a great live aboard and even at 10 gph will be affordably for the type of cruising we are able to do anymore due to health issues.

The boat is a full displacement trawler, which is nice. The broker stated he has taken the boat from San Diego to Ensenada and back again 4 times. At 1800 RPMs he average 10.1 knots going down and 9 knots coming back while consuming 10 GPH. At 1600 RPM he averaged 8 knots going down and a little under 7 knots coming north at approximately 7 GPH per hour. I trust him and believe he is telling the truth.

We are going to talk to the broker this weekend and will decide what to do next week.
Those number sound right, see my prior posts about my long and direct experience with these engines (vs mythology and hearsay, of which there is a mountain of on these engines, some of which avalanched into this thread).

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 05-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #27
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Being familiar with DDs, and particularly the 8v92s, I can garranty the broker is FOS on his fuel burn numbers. Unless of course that is per engine, then it would be just about spot on. And, if you are willing to trust a boat broker I've got this bridge out in Brooklin......
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
Being familiar with DDs, and particularly the 8v92s, I can garranty the broker is FOS on his fuel burn numbers. Unless of course that is per engine, then it would be just about spot on. And, if you are willing to trust a boat broker I've got this bridge out in Brooklin......
You don't seem that familiar with them to me. But what do I know, I only put a couple thousand hours on mine on top of the 1500 I got them with. The RPMs quoted by the broker sound way too high for the speeds, but I don't know how the boat is propped or geared. But the GPH for both at the speeds quoted
very closely mirror my experience and others with big MYs with the same engines.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #29
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Well, sir, your boat is not 75 feet long, nor does it weigh 60 tons. Add 20 feet and double your weight. Still think you can get 1 mpg (which I doudt anyway) at a 9 knot cruise ? My 48 foot boat with 8v92s at 550 hp , weighing in at around 20 tons, at best, will get 1 mpg. At 8 knots. On 1 engine at 8 it gets a bit better, maybe 1.3. Best ever was close to 2, but I had a good current behind me so doesnt really count. And, my tub is a lot lighter and smaller than yours.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #30
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I'm with Kulas. A 465hp 8v92 is going to burn way more than 5gph at 1800. It's probably rated at 2100, so that's at the high end of cruise. At full, that engine will burn about 26gph or so. 1800 is only 300 off the top. Even if rated at 2300 I don't buy it.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote