80hp Ford Tempest Engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brizvagas Mark

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Polaris
Vessel Make
Ray Kemp Cruiser/Motor Sailer
Hi all,

I am currently looking at an Island Gypsy 30 fitted with twin 80hp Ford Tempest engines.

Can any one help with fuel consumption figures and availability of parts, especially in Australia.

Thanks,

MG

I tried an online search,you probably did already, no great joy leapt from the page. There was some references at boatdiesel.com, which others here use, and reference to the engine as a 4/58 and 4/39. Also reference to replacing them with a 2.5L engine out of a Transit van. I`ve a vague recall of an English diesel truck called a "Tempest". More likely Tempest were a Ford engine marinizer, like Lehman. You could ask Brian Smith at American Diesel, the Lehman successors.
I doubt they use much fuel. Question is, keeping them running. Who did the owners servicing, there`s a starting point.

A guess is that they are the 4cyl version of the 120hp 380 cu. in. Ford engine Lehman used. They were 80hp and of course Ford's. Should be about 258 cu. in.

The 6cyl engine burns about 6gph at wot properly loaded so a 4cyl should burn 4gph. So at a 50% load you'd probably burn about 2gph. If you know how much power it takes to push your boat fairly good assumptions could be made about your fuel consumption at various speeds.

And if it's not a Ford use the rule of thumb that one gph produces about 16hp per gal or 18 to 20 for more modern engines. But then again you'd have to know how much power it takes to push your boat.

A guess is that they are the 4cyl version of the 120hp 380 cu. in. Ford engine Lehman used. They were 80hp and of course Ford's. Should be about 258 cu. in.

The 6cyl engine burns about 6gph at wot properly loaded so a 4cyl should burn 4gph. So at a 50% load you'd probably burn about 2gph. If you know how much power it takes to push your boat fairly good assumptions could be made about your fuel consumption at various speeds.

And if it's not a Ford use the rule of thumb that one gph produces about 16hp per gal or 18 to 20 for more modern engines. But then again you'd have to know how much power it takes to push your boat.

Huh? My FL120 @ 1850 RPM burns 1.8 ga/hr. That's more than a 50% load. The 80hp version reportedly burns .8 ga/hr @ 1650 RPM.

Running an FL120 at WOT is not a good idea except for short periods, these are tractor engines not gas V8 big blocks.

Moose,
50% load on the 120hp engine is 3gph. Two gph on the 80hp.

I only run WOT to check on various things I deem important enough to run at WOT. one shouldn't harm any good engine running WOT for a few minutes ... even a Lehman.

Contact Bob Smith @ American Diesel he can fill you in and provide manuals and spare parts. I stay in email contact when i have a question. I have twin 90's which is the 4 cyl version of 135. I burn about 1 gal/hr per engine @ 1650 rpms. You should be very close to that burn.

Back
Top Bottom