8 kw northern lights belt wear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soundwiz

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Spanish Moon
Vessel Make
Roughwater 44' Pilot House
I have an 8 kw NL genset that has eaten two belts in less than a 100 hrs. The pulleys all seem to be in alignment and free of rust or other residue. It seems like the belt is rubbing on the mounting studs for the cover assembly. And I'm thinking about cutting them off and chucking the the cover. Aside from the obvious safety issue, would there be any adverse effects to running the genny without the belt cover in place. It is a heat exchanger type so the cover doesn't act as a fan shroud.
Thanks for your input

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

I have an 8 kw NL genset that has eaten two belts in less than a 100 hrs. The pulleys all seem to be in alignment and free of rust or other residue. It seems like the belt is rubbing on the mounting studs for the cover assembly. And I'm thinking about cutting them off and chucking the the cover. Aside from the obvious safety issue, would there be any adverse effects to running the genny without the belt cover in place. It is a heat exchanger type so the cover doesn't act as a fan shroud.
Thanks for your input

We have the same generator, I think. There are 3 studs and but I believe it is the belt tension, too loose. NL made lots of these generators so don't cut the studs, that's not the fix. :)

I was hoping to get some input from someone with the same unit. Thanks for your reply. That was written in a moment of extreme frustration after spending an hour upside down in the hot lazarrette. I took a closer look at it after things cooled down, and realized that I may not have the right belt on it. It is the same as the belt that was on it when I bought the boat .... But given that it ate that one, and chewed this one up pretty good makes me think the po had the wrong belt on it.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom