Old 11-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
Exclamation I messed up!

So I closed my intake valves to clean the sea strainers. Got distracted and started my engines without opening them up. They ran for a few minutes before I remembered! They were still cool when water started flowing again. Is there anything I'm likely to have damaged from this?
Old 11-16-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Water pump impeller is the most obvious thing to come to mind.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I did that just once. Found no damage. Well put it another way, the impeller lasted for another 8 years, but yes, like Craig says, I'd check that. That's about all that's likely to have suffered, but there is usually enough wetness around them to run 'dry' for some time, minutes anyway, without failure.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
FF
Guru

Change out the impeller , keep it as a known to work spare , store it in a sealed bag with a dozen cover screws and a spare gasket.

Change it out dockside , and you should be able to do it underway , if you someday run in shallow or silty water.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #5
Guru

City: gulf coast
Engines are not harmed because they have closed cooling. Impeller is most likely victim if any. Even exhaust hoses are unlikely to have gotten hot at idle .
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
Guru

Next oil change take a look see of the impellers. If they're not difficult to change just do it. If they are difficult to change - bet you won't forget next time.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
If I had to guess, I would wager that most, if not ALL of us have done that once or twice. Last time I did it, I was backing out of the slip and noticed the exhaust note sounded more like a school bus than the glurbly note I was used to hearing. I think I even got the motor up to operating temp before I remembered. No harm done. Not even a new impellor was needed, but YMMV. Easy enough to take a peek to make sure.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #8

Thank you all for your input! This forum is such a valuable resource for new guys like me! A little more detail...

After opening up the valves and letting the engines warm, Checking temps with my IR Thermometer to confirm values were where I expected them to be, we set out on a 5 hour run to Pousbo. Everything went well. However, when I started up the next day I had a warning light on my port engine. (engines were cold at this point) Looks like a thermometer with wavy water lines underneath. After taking on fuel, and restarting the engines the light appeared again momentarily and then went out. We motored just over idle for a hour just so that I could monitor things in the ER. Everything seemed to be working as expected.

But I think before we head out again, I'll open up the raw water impeller housing, probably replace for peace of mind as many of you have suggested.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Do you notice a difference in the water flow from your exhaust? It might have lost a blade or two and pumps insufficient water at idle, but just enough at higher power settings. Good idea to replace both impellers as it's peace of mind and cheap insurance.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #10

No I have not noticed any change in water flow out the exhaust, but your explanation makes sense to me.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #11
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
[QUOTE=Peter B;284418]I did that just once. Found no damage. Well put it another way, the impeller lasted for another 8 years,

Eight years Pete! Cripes I will buy you a new one for Christmas.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:51 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
[QUOTE=Andy G;284637]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I did that just once. Found no damage. Well put it another way, the impeller lasted for another 8 years,

Eight years Pete! Cripes I will buy you a new one for Christmas.
Thanks for the offer Andy, but you're too late. It was replaced last December when she came out after 3 yrs - the anti foul and prop speed did great. The impeller was "a bit second hand looking" the guy said, yet it was still pumping out plenty of raw water from the exhaust, and she never ran above normal temp, so I coulda got another few years maybe..?
Old 11-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #13

Well I've never done this before so it's a little intimidating. But I shut the water intake and popped the cover off the water pump exposing the impeller. It looks fine to me, but I figure I may as well change it now since I have it open and will need to reseal anyway. I took the part number off the OEM part which doesn't seem to match anything out there on the interwebs. I called my local Volvo parts/service people (Coastal Marine Engine) and gave them my engine model number. They say the impeller kit is $69. That seems very high considering the price of other kits I've seen. But I don't know if there is a cross reference guide for non-oem parts say from Jabsco or Sherwood?
Old 11-19-2014, 06:18 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
[QUOTE=Peter B;284727]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post

...It was replaced last December when she came out after 3 yrs - the anti foul and prop speed did great. The impeller was "a bit second hand looking" the guy said, yet it was still pumping out plenty of raw water from the exhaust, and she never ran above normal temp, so I coulda got another few years maybe..?
Peter,I hope you kept it as a spare just in case.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #15
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Easy enough boo boo. I put a note or a tag at the helm if I've shut off the raw-water intake, and always, so far, listening for/observing the gurgling/splashing exhaust immediately after every engine start.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #16
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdesign View Post
Well I've never done this before so it's a little intimidating. But I shut the water intake and popped the cover off the water pump exposing the impeller. It looks fine to me, but I figure I may as well change it now since I have it open and will need to reseal anyway. I took the part number off the OEM part which doesn't seem to match anything out there on the interwebs. I called my local Volvo parts/service people (Coastal Marine Engine) and gave them my engine model number. They say the impeller kit is $69. That seems very high considering the price of other kits I've seen. But I don't know if there is a cross reference guide for non-oem parts say from Jabsco or Sherwood?
Eric, there's a very good chance that the pump is a Sherwood. Is there a number on the pump or the impeller? Photos?

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #17

I have photos...don't understand the forums http: photo upload. The photos I have are not on a website.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #18
Guru

No worries. I looked at your survey and got some info.

I did find this:
Water Pump Kit - Sierra

Old 11-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #19

Pau Hana, Thank you for the link. As always, impressive the depth of knowledge on this forum. But...what did you mean, looked at my survey? Is this Peter, as in, Peter my insurance guy??
Old 11-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #20
Guru

Yessir- I be he.

(or, I'm a professional stalker....)

Tags
cooling, damage, engine