3rd Dipstick advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cartouche

Vessel Name
On The EdJ
Vessel Make
Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
We have a Mainship 390 with a Yanmar 6LYA-STP Engine I have found the oil Dipstick (No Brainer) and the dipstick for the transmission, and also a 3rd dipstick at the very bottom of the engine on the starboard side below the fuel pump. oil is at the full level but no idea what it is for, can any one let me know what I am missing, many thanks
Ed & Joanne
Cartouche Mainship 390

It's there so if you have twin engines you don't have to climb over the engine to check the oil.

It's there so if you have twin engines you don't have to climb over the engine to check the oil.

:thumb:

Many engine manufacturers offer a second dipstick location as an option. When installing my new engine, I wanted all pre start checks on the same side. So, ordered and installed the optional 2nd location dipstick kit. I think it was less than $30 and saves me from going down into the engine room on both sides.

Ted

Many thanks Mystery solved

Thread moved from "Welcome Mat" to "Power Systems"

I had the same question on my Yanmar 370 so glad I found this thread. When I happened to find, and then checked the small dipstick on the SB side it was an inch or 2 low (didn't see any fill marks at the time). The long dipstick on top of the engine was right at the full mark. Is one location more accurate than the other? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom