Old 12-01-2017, 03:34 AM   #1
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
3D Printer, your spare factory

Hi,

I saw this article and thought that it would not go on for a long time that you can realistically print from different materials just about any Trawler parts to the engines or ... i'll be waiting for a suitable trip model for a 3D printer.

World's First 3D Printed Ship Propeller Receives Class Approval – gCaptain

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:40 AM   #2
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
We carried a 3d printer around for a year before I wizened up and put it on a desk at work. I've printed a couple bits and bobs (the custom ram mount for my humminbird comes to mind). It can only do different plastics. I could probably print a trolling motor propeller. Definitely not one for the boat. I've thought about doing 3d printed lost wax castings of certain engine parts.....maybe down the line. ....

They're really cool toys/ capable tools for ~1 boat buck. They take up a bit of counter space though
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:12 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe n Em View Post
We carried a 3d printer around for a year before I wizened up and put it on a desk at work. I've printed a couple bits and bobs (the custom ram mount for my humminbird comes to mind). It can only do different plastics. I could probably print a trolling motor propeller. Definitely not one for the boat. I've thought about doing 3d printed lost wax castings of certain engine parts.....maybe down the line. ....

They're really cool toys/ capable tools for ~1 boat buck. They take up a bit of counter space though
Hi,

All technology goes fast forward and it may be possible to make metal 3d prints themselves and printers prices may be available to everyone. Think about the development though the phone and today's smartphones another interesting article and video that produces a small gas turbine engine with 3D printers.

https://newatlas.com/ge-fires-up-all...t-einge/37448/

NBs
Old 12-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
One propeller of big ship has already been made using 3d printing and has been “approved” by veritas. Ability to 3d print metal parts and not only plastic has been a giant leap forward and you can expect to see more and more in a near future. Moreover this process opens the door to shapes that would have been very difficult to made with usual way.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe n Em View Post

I've thought about doing 3d printed lost wax castings of certain engine parts.....maybe down the line. ....
I think that is a brilliant idea. Use the printer to make the male plugs for various metal items.

Think of all the cast stainless you could put to use to replace iron/steel/plastic junk. Just one thing, melting stainless takes some real heat! Does the furnace go in the salon or the sundeck?

ps: there are optical 3D comparetors that make a file for the plastic plugs. No need for measurements and manual drawings.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
I think that is a brilliant idea. Use the printer to make the male plugs for various metal items.

Think of all the cast stainless you could put to use to replace iron/steel/plastic junk. Just one thing, melting stainless takes some real heat! Does the furnace go in the salon or the sundeck?

ps: there are optical 3D comparetors that make a file for the plastic plugs. No need for measurements and manual drawings.
There are services that will take your 3D part and produce a cast metal part. There are also services that will take your design file and produce a plastic 3D part. There are also services that will take your original part and scan it to produce a 3D drawing. Actually, many such services, but most require volume to make any economic sense, although some act as a broker and farms out the actual work to guys with spare cycles on their machines. There is probably a service somewhere that does all of the above.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
3D Printing has so many applications. We use it for displays and advertising. We can come up with an idea and have it on the floor almost immediately. The latest I saw a couple of weeks ago was 3D Selfies. It was an experiment with someone thinking ahead and shockingly good.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:34 AM   #8
Guru

Hi,

I have not been actively monitoring 3D technology, I see that it is already in use in industry here is exaples.

Mercedes-Benz Trucks has opened new possibilities with an announcement yesterday that it's now printing metal spare and replacement parts.

Mercedes-Benz Trucks begins 3D printing metal spare parts for trucks | Fleet Owner

Picturel Mercedes OEM Al printing spares for truk.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:29 AM   #9
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
We use 3D printing in R&D for product development. This is in life science research. https://www.emdmillipore.com/ https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merck_Group
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:36 AM   #10
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
https://www.marineinsight.com/shippi...-printing/amp/

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote