Old 03-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #21
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
Along these same lines do any of you happen to have some good pics of the skeg? Just trying to take everything with me to the yard I can think I might need. I don't know if my rudder has a hole for the shaft to pass through so I guess I'll likely be removing the skeg to pull the rudder. How is it attached to the keel and the rudder's bottom post attached to it?

I have a couple halfway decent pics -- although not close-up -- of our '87 skeg/rudder... but I have no way to post those here.

If it'll help and if you'd like to PM me an e-mail address, I can forward that way.

-Chris
Old 03-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #22
Guru

'Preciate it guys. She's already hauled. It does have the shaft pass thru on the rudder.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
'Preciate it guys. She's already hauled. It does have the shaft pass thru on the rudder.
You know that you have to disconnect the rudder arm inside so the rudder can be turned to 90 degrees in order to get the shaft out.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #24
Guru

LOL, yeah got that. Not my first rodeo, by a long shot. I've been on boats and in shipyards literally since before I could walk. I just had a few specific questions regarding this specific boat. I just decided to leave the shaft alone and pull the stern tube. Much easier to do it this way and easier to bring it home and press the cutlass in and out. I can clean the tube nicely as well this way and put a nice clean layer of 4200 on things since I'm pretty sure the lower bolt on the stern tube was where I was getting water in my bilge. Stepping up from 1/2" to 3/4" tru-hull and strainer for the gen-set, 1/2" just seems absurd! Plus if I need to swap it out, it'll already be able to flow more if I get a bigger unit. Prop has been re-done. Prop scan mumbo jumbo, computer gizmo, whatever. They had a prop coated with propspeed in the lobby. Didn't care for it. It felt kind of rubbery and would roll off like silicone if rubbed hard with a thumb or finger-not to mention what a fingernail would do, :-O. I'll just be putting on several coats of ablative bottom paint like always. Wish I had some of that "hard" bottom paint to try out on the running gear. Maybe next time.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #25
Guru

Well ended up having to replace the shaft thru-hull! What a PITA!! electrolysis had made the other one completely "dead". Trying to knock out the cutlass caused a "dunk-dunk" instead of a "ding-ding" and needless to say the tube actually broke right off the flange! It was completely "red" all the way through! So I ordered a Buck Algonquin tube (2-3/8" OD 2" ID) and had a custom inside the hull tube made to attach the stuffing box hose to. Bronze shouldn't be spelled with a Z it should be spelled with a dozen $$$$s! Anyway I'm glad it happened on the yard. I shudder to think what could have happened had I caught a crab trap in the prop!!!
Any way here's a pic of her just before splash down.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #26
Guru

I had to replace that shaft gizmo on my old Mainship also.
However I recall it being an easy job....of course I was about 18 years younger then!! I bet that had someting to do with it.
Glad you found it now.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #27
Guru

Changing it was no biggie. getting one-a whole 'nother $$tory.