3208 TA Cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Misssjody

I am considering the purchase of a 1989, 43 ft, 32,000 lb trawler motor yacht. The boat is equipped with twin 3208 TA cat engines, 2400 hrs. I am concerned with the engines being oversized for this boat and the reliability and lonjevity of the engines in this application
Any input would be appreciated.

I have low horsepower 3208 na in a 48 foot boat of about 46000 lb. if you run a higher hp version at lower speeds, you will essentially see the longevity of the lower hp version. In reality it’s a bit more nuanced than that, but you get the idea.

Probably 435 since it is a turbo.

TAs came in 2 flavors- 375hp (preferred) and 435hp. The challenge with the 435hp is that most are/were run hard, which shortens their lifespan.

TAs came in 2 flavors- 375hp (preferred) and 435hp. The challenge with the 435hp is that most are/were run hard, which shortens their lifespan.

Peter is correct. At 375 hp these engines were bulletproof. At 435 hp they tended to have significantly shorter lives.

I have twin 3208T/A 375HP engines in my 48ft with over 3000hrs. Great engines. Keep the oil changes, do oil sample testing and check all hoses.

Last you long time.

My 51’ DeFever had twin 3208 TA’s. Had over 5000 hours when I sold it. Motors still going strong. They were 375 hp each. I really liked the motors and were efficient. A good mechanical survey by a certified Cat technician can tell you what shape the motors are in and during the sea trial, how “loaded” the engines are at various speeds.

If you stay out of the turbo boost the 3208TA should last as long as the standard 3208 and burn the same amount of fuel.

Is that possible? I dont know but my best guess is that'll be around 1500rpm which should get you @ hull speed. You could detune them as well although I don't think it's worth it.

They are regarded among owners as good motors so I ignore the rest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom