Old 05-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #21

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27
Scary,

You could try telling CA that you will be using an electric trolling motor on the boat. That might work.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #22

The 25 Yammie runs ok, seems to run rough at idle and intermittant missing at high rpms, but perhaps that is just some junk in the carb. It is heavy, but the new 4 stroke 15 hp engines are not that much lighter. Maybe I'll just stay with what I have.
However, it does seem to go through gas pretty quickly. I have a 3 gallon tank on board, and it does not last that long. What size fuel tank do you folks typically carry on board your dinghy?
ChuckB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckB View Post
The 25 Yammie runs ok, seems to run rough at idle and intermittant missing at high rpms, but perhaps that is just some junk in the carb. It is heavy, but the new 4 stroke 15 hp engines are not that much lighter. Maybe I'll just stay with what I have.
However, it does seem to go through gas pretty quickly. I have a 3 gallon tank on board, and it does not last that long. What size fuel tank do you folks typically carry on board your dinghy?
For a 6hp I carry a 6 gal tank..but usually never full. Seems to last a long time.

The OLD rule of thumb of fuel burn unless you know more exactly for your engine is hp divided by 10 at full throttle...so at full you are burning 2.5 per hr...call it 2 gal/hr at cruise...sound nearly correct?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #24

Yes, 2 gal per hour sounds about right.
ChuckB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #25
Guru

I carry a 6 gal tank when I cruise in the dink. The new 15 Yamaha 2 stroke is much more efficient than my old 8 hp Evinrude was. Probably because it doesn't have to work hard to keep the dink on plane.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #26
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
The dink OB's I have bought used, at a dealer/service so they are in good shape and about 50% of new. Most get little hours/use. Not much to a 2 strock.

Yesterday dumped the 12 ft Livingston with the 20 hp merc in and with new spark plugs start right up and ran great. anyway might wnat to buy used?
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #27

City: Louisville
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler
Another disadvantage to the 4 strokes is that they will not tolerate old fuel or fuel being left in the engine for more that a week or two. I have a 8 hp nissan that I did not burn all the fuel out of the engine before storing it for the winter....bad move. Not only did the ethanol fuel attack the aluminum carburetor, ruining it, it also turned to varnish in the fuel pump. So, when I replaced the carb ($180) and hoses, stuff in the pump kept breaking loose and clogging the tiny orifices in the new carb. After removing and cleaning the carb 3 times, it's running smoothly again.

The bright side is that I purchased a 9.9 hp carb, which is the only difference between the 8 hp and 9.9 hp, and got 22%* more power.
*Per the Nissan parts tech.

So, the moral of this pathetic story is that 4 strokes do not have the large, forgiving carb jets that the 2 stroke have and always, always, always run the engine dry. Daily. Every. Day.
David O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #28
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I think having oil mixed in the gas prolongs the life of the new Ethanol gas? Don’t seem to have/see the problem with the four 2 stroke OB, 140 hp, 20 hp, 7 hp and 4 hp. Anyway I will stick with 2 strokes.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #29
Guru

My Mariner 2 horse is now 26 years old and still running. The last time I had it apart I had to use a generous amount of JB Weld to build up the lower end. Cannot get parts for it anymore and do not want a 4 stroke. Lookin' at that new propane powered kicker, but it is ten pounds heavier.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #30
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
My Mariner 2hp dinghy motor is 24 years old. I get parts by ordering for a 2hp Yamaha, which it is really.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I'm getting great service from a 25 year old Evinrude 4.5HP.

Mark, the leak on that motor and utilitarian design screams British design to me. What make is that old 5HP in your picture?
It's a British Seagull (30 years old). Sold it a couple of months ago for $350.

Always started with one to three pulls on the rope.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #32
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
... I ended up registering it as a row boat and got around the DMV, ...
??? Manually-propelled boats aren't required to be registered and numbered in California.

But now looking at the registration application form, there is the option to register such boats.

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/boat/boat101.pdf
Old 05-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #33

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse
the rib weighs 105#, the outboard 57#, The children in the pic about 120lbs each.

The motor is a Nissan 9.8hp 2-stroke and has Doelfins to help it pop up to plane.
Very good power to weight ratio.

With one person onboard the boat zips about like a madman. With 2 aboard, it will reach plane and cruise around 13mph or so, which is plenty fast to get from here to there. Any more passengers and it will not plane.

As you can see in the pic which has a date, this dinghy combo has 8+ seasons on them. After using the dinghy all summer, usually consuming around 12-15 gallons of gas, I run the motor dry in fresh water and put it away for the winter. The next season it always fires up.

Last year was the first time I took it in for a look see by the local dealer - he said the gear oil was needing to be changed, but otherwise all is well.

Sadly, 2004 was the last year to buy these in the USA. I did find one on craigslist some years ago and have it in storage when this one gives up.
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_3220.jpg   DCP_3240.jpg  
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #34
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by David O View Post
So, the moral of this pathetic story is that 4 strokes do not have the large, forgiving carb jets that the 2 stroke have and always, always, always run the engine dry. Daily. Every. Day.
What a pain/waste! (I'm thinking of an engine with an integral fuel tank.)
Old 05-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
What a pain/waste! (I'm thinking of an engine with an integral fuel tank.)
Turn the fuel valve off and run the engine dry.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #36

This thread of running a 4-stroke dry is just silly. I have a 4-stroke Nissan 25. I keep the fuel treated at all times with a light dose of Yamaha treatment (the same stuff I used on my old 90HP 2-stroke and have never had an issue. I fill the tank maybe once every couple of months and dose the tank with a couple of ounces. When I bought the dinghy it had 2 year old fuel that took some running to clean out, but since then no issues. Let's not over think the problem here!

Dave
Old 05-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #37
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
It's registered as a row boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
??? Manually-propelled boats aren't required to be registered and numbered in California.

But now looking at the registration application form, there is the option to register such boats.

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/boat/boat101.pdf
It has CF numbers but is classified as a row boat. Not an outboard. I don't know what the significance is of being a row boat if your inspected with an out board mounted.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #38
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Tow behind runabout... 1975, 14’ 8”, 4 seater Crestliner Stinger with orig 1975 Johnson 50 hp. Both excellent cond. On GPS; WOT at 6.5K + rpm with me at 250 lbs = 39 Knots. Wife and I at cruise of 5K rpm = 25 Knots. Fuel use at cruise = approx 1.25 gph; which = approx 20 knpg. Not bad at all in 2012 at $4.50 + per gallon gas.

We love to drop our Tolly tri cabin’s hook and fly around on this comfortable and affordable econo cruiser. Of course, I just days ago purchased a 1991 21’ Malibu Skier with 350 cid 270 hp straight shaft IB. Well... there goes our fuel economy... just kidding... will still often use our 50 hp Crestliner as tow behind econo runabout!! Plan to post Malibu Skier picts when I get her restored and shined - - > i.e. ready to play this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0434.JPG   100_0436.jpg   100_0438.jpg   100_0441.jpg  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #39
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckB View Post
I am presently using a Yamaha 25hp, 2 stroke outboard. I would like to purchase a new 15 hp, 2 stroke. Mainly the reason is weight. I am trying to lighted the chores for me and the admiral to launch the dinghy.
I like the Yamaha, but everywhere I look, they only show the 15hp engine as a 4 stroke. It's still 100 lbs. plus. Any suggestions?
When we went shopping for a new trolling motor for our 17' Arima fishing boat a couple of years ago I had hoped to get an 8hp, 2-stroke, longshaft Yamaha. All our outboards with the exception of the old 6hp Evinrude trolling motor on the Arima have been Yamahas and they have given us outstanding service.

But when I talked to the big Yamaha dealer in Seattle, Jacobsen Marine, they said that Yamaha no longer made 2-stroke engines for the North American market. Knowing this was coming, some dealers had stocked up on the most popular 2-stroke models. Jacobsen still had a number of the 8hp 2-strokes but they were all short shaft which we couldn't use.

So we ended up buying a new Yamaha 6hp 4 stroke that has served us very well. But it's a bit heavier than we would have liked as the outboard mount on the the boat is designed for 2 stroke engines, not 4 stroke.

This was a couple of years ago so I imagine the stockpile of 2-strokes at Yamaha dealers is much smaller today or is gone altogether.

So your only option today if you really want a Yamaha 2-stroke is to buy used.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #40
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yea Marin,
I've got one of those 8hp 2 stroke Yamadog OBs and we like it.

Also have a 40 hp E-tech Evinrude. Burns a tiny bit more fuel than Art's 50 but it's seamless in it's performance. Lots of thrust w it's big propeller but it weighs in like a 4 stroke. It burns so little oil I tend to forget about it. Have'nt even run low though.

The 1st pic is of us at Sea Otter Sound ..... The 2nd is at Edna Bay....as far out west as you can find people living. We were on a run out to see our friend Ed on Marble Is. He has a Willard. Love those two stroke OBs.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71302.jpg   STH71359.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote